Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

I admit, I haven't been watching closely the last few weeks. I may have caught him on a bad day, but I went to a game a few weeks ago where the other team hit two triples to right, that I felt should have been doubles or there should have at least been a play at third with a true right-fielder. Obviously, a limited sample size.

I know the plays to which you’re referring, but I thought his range was the problem. He should have held both plays to doubles if not for his lack of foot speed.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Santandah said:

So. I think that people are getting upset because the term selfish implies something ugly about Adam Jones, or that he's a bad guy. I don't think you mean to do that, but clearly it's rubbing some folks wrong.

Not to belabor this. But there is some nuance and connotation to the word selfish. Yes. It is absolutely true that Adam Jones did not put the Orioles first in this decision. But selfish, by definition and by implication, means that the only person Adam Jones considered in this equation was Adam Jones. There are many others who benefit if Adam Jones maximizes his salary over the next few years who are not Adam Jones nor the Orioles, such as his family, his charity....

I'm fine with saying that he made a decision that did not consider the Orioles first. I just think selfish is the wrong term to use.  

This.

35 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I know the plays to which you’re referring, but I thought his range was the problem. He should have held both plays to doubles if not for his lack of foot speed.

Frankly, I think he was lackadaisical for a few games and you see it still even in his dugout presence. Always used to be at the front congratulating and encouraging other players--not anymore. Last few games he's been better in RF. And at least it's no longer Trumbo out there, who might have played doubles into inside-the-park homers.

4 hours ago, Santandah said:

So. I think that people are getting upset because the term selfish implies something ugly about Adam Jones, or that he's a bad guy. I don't think you mean to do that, but clearly it's rubbing some folks wrong.

Not to belabor this. But there is some nuance and connotation to the word selfish. Yes. It is absolutely true that Adam Jones did not put the Orioles first in this decision. But selfish, by definition and by implication, means that the only person Adam Jones considered in this equation was Adam Jones. There are many others who benefit if Adam Jones maximizes his salary over the next few years who are not Adam Jones nor the Orioles, such as his family, his charity....

I'm fine with saying that he made a decision that did not consider the Orioles first. I just think selfish is the wrong term to use.  

Certainly a valid opinion and I appreciate the thoughts. I understand why people get spun up over the word selfish but at the end of the day, it's an accurate word to describe his decision in my opinion. The problem is that synonyms for the word selfish (egocentric, egotistic, egotistical, egomaniacal, self-centered, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-seeking, self-serving, wrapped up in oneneself;  inconsiderate, thoughtless, unthinking, uncaring, uncharitable; ean, miserly, grasping, greedy, mercenary, acquisitive, opportunistic; informallooking after number one) wouldn't have made it any better. :D 

I am interested though, if selfish was the wrong word to use, what should we use instead?

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

How about we agree to say that he made a very foolish decision against the wishes of the organization we root for, but he earned the right to make it?  He made the decision so he could play CF everyday 

I don’t know that it was foolish, and I doubt Jones was blind to the fact that the O’s might move him to RF to let Mullins get a shot there.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know that it was foolish, and I doubt Jones was blind to the fact that the O’s might move him to RF to let Mullins get a shot there.   

I inferred from his comments that he expected to play everyday in CF, but he never actually said that.  So yeah, maybe I assumed something that wasn't the case.    

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Certainly a valid opinion and I appreciate the thoughts. I understand why people get spun up over the word selfish but at the end of the day, it's an accurate word to describe his decision in my opinion. The problem is that synonyms for the word selfish (egocentric, egotistic, egotistical, egomaniacal, self-centered, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-seeking, self-serving, wrapped up in oneneself;  inconsiderate, thoughtless, unthinking, uncaring, uncharitable; ean, miserly, grasping, greedy, mercenary, acquisitive, opportunistic; informallooking after number one) wouldn't have made it any better. :D 

I am interested though, if selfish was the wrong word to use, what should we use instead?

Tough one. But how about just leave it as he made his decision? Or  decision the Orioles and some fans don't like. 

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

How about, "Jones acted in rational self-interest, as many of us would." 

I don't think it's black or white, i.e. he only did this because he wanted to maintain his stock. Any self respecting professional looks at all the pros/cons. He's a family man. I'm sure having to play out your remaining days potentially second fiddle all the while increasing the commute for your family and/or uprooting them for a short period of time wasn't worth it. It would have been a big problem for me.

If I'm Jones and I *know* I'm going to get a MLB job next year....I want to finish out things on *my* terms and not anybody else's. Especially not somebody who has poor player management skills (Duquette). 

I'm going to miss Jones. One of my fav O's of all times and I really don't think upper management played it well this year in regards to Jones.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

No selfish is not the word to use there.  I am not sure why you continue with this.  If the Orioles are trying to trade him and he exercises his right to stay with the team that is not selfish.  Selfish means he is taking his needs above someone elses.  Definition is: "lacking consideration for others;"  Who would he not be considering?  If he went to the Phillies and didn't consider his families opinions that would be selfish.  If he stayed and refused to play unless he was in center that would be selfish.   

He had the right to veto the trade for any reason, and it's hard to fault a player for acting in what he believes is in the best interest of his career.  Nothing much more to say about it honestly.  I don't hold it against him at all, especially since we weren't going to get anything other than salary relief back for him.  

Jones on whether he wants to return: “Well, who holds the cards? I think now we kind of both do. But I’m not the one making business decisions on their regards. All I can do is make business decisions on my behalf now.”

“I nixed the (trade) because it wasn’t a good move for Adam Jones as a player and going forward. That’s why I nixed the trade. And I bless Philly, I wished them nothing but the best. And they’re going to be damn good next year, too. It wasn’t the best move for Adam as a player going to free agency to go platoon in a position I wasn’t playing.”

Roch - http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/09/adam-jones-on-charity-work-and-baseball-decisions.html#disqus_thread

Archived