Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm glad Adam finished the year with the O's, and I'm very grateful for all the things he's done for the Orioles and the city of Baltimore. I hope there's a good crowd today to give him the sendoff he deserves.

Thanks for everything, AJ. 

Agree. Great man. Great talent. 

On 9/30/2018 at 8:30 AM, Bahama O's Fan said:

Looking back, and of course hindsight is 20/20, but NO, no, I would not trade him straight up for any of those guys. I'm glad we didn't. I would still love to see him back on the team next year as a 3rd/4th OF and in a mentoring position, but I know he is going wherever the money/starts are.

Funny how that works, right?  I'm laughing at how Rasmus was the guy that was the highest vote total as well.  I have a strong feeling people are not as excited about him now.

Jones had been a vocal leader and really brought this team up over the years.  He was quieter this year and I'm not sure if the message wasn't heard or is the massive amount of losing just took the fight out this year.  Either way, the only way I could see him back is if that fire is there.  Pushing guys as a leader.  There is plenty of behind the scenes stuff we don't see, but I would imagine the team would look at those items.  That would be, if his price tag was low enough to meet their requirements, as I also don't see the O's being big spenders in FA.  So I would imagine, the likelihood is low.

On 1/19/2011 at 7:41 PM, El Gordo said:

Realistically the only possible trades would be Kemp, Upton, Gutierrez, or Span. Nobody in their right mind is is giving up, Rasmus, Granderson, Jackson, or McCutcheon, for Jones and we wouldn't want Rios for him.

LOL. 

I'm apparently a terrible judge of talent.

2012-2018 production:

Jones: 21.5 WAR

Kemp: 10.1 WAR

The Artist Formerly Known as BJ Upton: 5.2 WAR

Span: 16.1 WAR

Gutierrez: 3.9 WAR

Cutch:  36.3 WAR

Rasmus: 11.2 WAR, also stopped wanting to play baseball

Granderson: 17.5 WAR

Rios: 6.9 WAR

Jackson: 11.8 WAR

So among these, Cutch is the only correct answer.  And not among the players I voted for.

I'm really surprised at how well Jones' numbers have held up against his peers over this time period.  A lot of the players on this list had perhaps slightly better single seasons than Jones, but flamed as they crossed into their 30s, while Jones managed to keep Father Time at bay for another couple seasons.  His consistency and longevity has really set himself apart from most of his peers.

On keeping Adam Jones: “I don’t see any reason to get rid of Adam Jones. Who is going to be your role model? Who is going to be the guy that’s a constant? Who is going to have character? Who is going to be the guy, especially if you’re rebuilding, to know that baseball isn’t just what’s happening on the field? The first thing I was told when I got to Baltimore in 1965 was you’re going to live in this community, you wanna be part of it. Who’s done a better job (with that) than Adam? And Adam can still play. Now, I will bet the ranch that he’ll hit over 20 home runs next year if he is back with the Orioles. A great place to hit, he can still play, he can still do all the things he does on and off the field. But, at the end of the day, what does he want to make? What kind of contract does he want? That’s what negotiations are all about. Everyone says he’s not coming back but I don’t see why, unless he gets a better offer somewhere else, why that can’t happen. But, again, I don’t own the ballclub.”

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Would AJ even consider coming back at this point?  I think not.  Hopefully, he finds a good place to continue to #StayHungry .

I think he actually would, since his home is here and he likes the city.

Of course, with the youth movement, does the team want him?

Archived