Bowden: Orioles closing in on "humbling" deal for Guerrero

Crazysilver03

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If his source is close to Vlad wouldn't you think he would tell this info to Bowden to try to put it out there that the O's were close to signing his buddy Vlad to try to force the Angels and Rangers hand?

Vlad wants to play full time.

Neither of those teams offer that hence why Vlad was disappointed that they no longer seemed like an option.

It could be that he's trying to use the Orioles, but it seems that isn't the case this time. He wants to play and the Orioles offer him the best opportunity to do that.

Remember, the Orioles got a deal done with Derrek Lee who didn't want to play for the Orioles at first, so it would stand to reason that Vlad might have reconsidered based on the moves the Orioles have made.

Bowden said that his source called him on Friday and had talked to Vlad and based on those conversations the following conclusions were reached by the source:

1. Vlad is resolved to taking a 1 year deal from a non-contender after being disappointed that he couldn't return to the Angels or Rangers.

2. He was going to sign with the Orioles and soon.

His source is close to Vlad and was 100% accurate for the Rangers deal last year so that's why he went ahead and tweeted it.

Hopefully, the only thing from above that is untrue is the O's being non-contenders :beerchug1:

Vlad wants to play full time.

Neither of those teams offer that hence why Vlad was disappointed that they no longer seemed like an option.

It could be that he's trying to use the Orioles, but it seems that isn't the case this time. He wants to play and the Orioles offer him the best opportunity to do that.

Remember, the Orioles got a deal done with Derrek Lee who didn't want to play for the Orioles at first, so it would stand to reason that Vlad might have reconsidered based on the moves the Orioles have made.

Well if the O's want Vlad to play full time here, they need to seriously think hard about what they want to do with Scott/Pie/Reimold. And I hope they don't make short term fix to create a long term problem.

Bowden said that his source called him on Friday and had talked to Vlad and based on those conversations the following conclusions were reached by the source:

1. Vlad is resolved to taking a 1 year deal from a non-contender after being disappointed that he couldn't return to the Angels or Rangers.

His source is close to Vlad and was 100% accurate for the Rangers deal last year so that's why he went ahead and tweeted it.

I would like to see it happen, personally, so I hope he's right. I know he wasn't the only one in the national sports media hearing this late Friday night because I have a friend who was also hearing similar things. Regardless of what was being said from Vlad's side/camp, however, it could still have been posturing. Time will tell.

Roch has an agenda IMO. He is carrying water for AM. He already has been burned doing that for Flanny, and he doesn't want to be exposed again. He is hoping that the deal goes down far enough in the future for there to be a disconnect.Bowden's source is close to Vladdy and is most likely a last ditch attempt to get an offer from Texas or LAAA. I think his choice is a part time role with these two teams, or a full time role with the O's.

If AM signs Vlad and lands a starting pitcher this week watch the season ticket renewals start coming in faster and individual game sales take off. Maybe AM wants to delay these moves until Thursday or Friday just in time for FanFest next Saturday. It's going to be a rockin summer in Baltimore with big crowds at OP.

Well if the O's want Vlad to play full time here, they need to seriously think hard about what they want to do with Scott/Pie/Reimold. And I hope they don't make short term fix to create a long term problem.

Bowden tweeted Rays GM Andrew Friedman's thoughts on a similar matter:

"Spring Training will sort out a lot of things but depth is never a bad thing no matter who ends up with lesser role"

So you go into camp with everybody and let ST decide who plays where.

Bowden tweeted Rays GM Andrew Friedman's thoughts on a similar matter:

So you go into camp with everybody and let ST decide who plays where.

Exactly. I see Vlad on a cheap contract as nothing more than a third potential option for pairing with Luke Scott. If Reimold proves that his .738 OPS at AAA was an abberation and Pie proves he can stay healthy than you have a wonderful problem and can trade someone to help fill an organizationl need. If Reimold or Pie don't nail down a spot as a productive starter, you dh Vlad and put Scott in LF. Based on our last decade or so, I think potential depth is a good problem to have.

It could be Vlad's camp trying to get other teams to offer (i.e., letting it be known that Vlad is out there for a very reasonable price). OTOH, this could be a case where the O's have made an offer to Vlad, and he and his agent have been shopping it and finally figured out they can't do better and will take it. Hence, they know he's close to accepting O's offer and O's are in the dark (i.e., haven't spoken to him for a couple of weeks, since they made there last offer).

It could be Vlad's camp trying to get other teams to offer (i.e., letting it be known that Vlad is out there for a very reasonable price). OTOH, this could be a case where the O's have made an offer to Vlad, and he and his agent have been shopping it and finally figured out they can't do better and will take it. Hence, they know he's close to accepting O's offer and O's are in the dark (i.e., haven't spoken to him for a couple of weeks, since they made there last offer).

Agreed. It benefits Vlad's camp to be talking to the media in a last ditch effort to get others to swoop in and it benefits MacPhail to keep any Orioles interest quiet.

If Vlad has decided to take an offer from the O's he has no reason to put it out there. The only reason to leak that he is leaning toward the O's, is to get other teams' attention. He hasn't decided yet.

Agreed. It benefits Vlad's camp to be talking to the media in a last ditch effort to get others to swoop in and it benefits MacPhail to keep any Orioles interest quiet.
In AM's interest, he is probably looking at offers for Scott as MatthewW has suggested. He wants to take the position that the O's aren't signing Vlad and not anxious to move Scott, but are willing to listen to offers. That's what he has Roch and Melewski doing for him.

Im all for it. Let Reimold figure stuff out at AAA this yr, andmake the choice of Luke or Pie in LF. Whoever you dont start, trade in a package for a SP. I would like Luke in LF, but with the added power this year in the lineup, losing Luke's bat would not be the worst thing in the world.

What SP could we realistically get for a package of Luke/Bell/Tillman? I feel like thats a good potential package to get a middle of the rotation guy.

Maybe Tillman/Luke/Bell for Jair Jurrgens/O'Flaherty? The Braves have a ton of SP depth and also a ton of Lefty Relievers. They just signed Sherrill.they have O'Flaherty, Venters, Ortegano and Hyde.

If we can get a SP and out lefty reliever, Im all for it. Thoughts???

In AM's interest, he is probably looking at offers for Scott as MatthewW has suggested. He wants to take the position that the O's aren't signing Vlad and not anxious to move Scott, but are willing to listen to offers. That's what he has Roch and Melewski doing for him.

Sweatervest issues aside, I do agree that AM can manipulate the media very well. As an example, look back at how he used the media to send messages that beautifully countered statements made by Bavasi in the days right before the Bedard trade.

Archived