Bowden: Orioles closing in on "humbling" deal for Guerrero

Crazysilver03

If this goes through, what grade would you give MacPhail for this off season?

It would have to go to a B+.

Vlad just gives you more depth, more options and makes the lineup even more dangerous.

Roberts

Markakis

Lee

Vlad

Scott

Reynolds

Jones

Wieters

Hardy

Wow.

The LF bleacher seats could be hot tickets with all that RH power.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would have to go to a B+.

Vlad just gives you more depth, more options and makes the lineup even more dangerous.

Roberts

Markakis

Lee

Vlad

Scott

Reynolds

Jones

Wieters

Hardy

Wow.

The LF bleacher seats could be hot tickets with all that RH power.

For the future of this team, Vlad may not be in our best interests, but I won't lie--if we actually sign him--that's a lineup I can actually get excited about. I know it's just on paper, but there's not one player in there that I would be upset about coming to the plate.

MacPhail, really? You're going out of your way to "humble" a great player coming off a great season? Does the guy know anything about clubhouse chemistry? This is pathetic. The Orioles would rather put a few million in Peter Angelos's pocket than treat their free agent acquisitions with respect. We're going to have to put some SERIOUS work into rebuilding our relationships with player agents after this. A dumb, lazy move IMO...

Are you kidding?

The contract would be humbling because no other teams were interested in paying Vlad, and that he would be forced to accept a bargain contract for a losing team, not because of how much the Orioles will be choosing to pay him.

Wow.

I have been against a Vlad signing but have warmed to it slightly over the last few weeks. In one way, I'm pretty disappointed about the loss of opportunities for Pie and Reimold. I still don't think this is the best move the the long term Orioles future.

That said, I've come to realize that this move will indirectly strengthen our bench, and if Vlad really does struggle, it won't be too difficult to switch playing time over to Reimold and Pie. It's not what I would have done but I can see a few scenarios where it turns out to be a good move.

Vlad has always been one of my favorite non-O's...Despite my optimistic feelings towards Pie and Reimold, if this deal goes through it will be fun to watch Vlad in an Oriole uniform. :thumbsup1:

Wow.

I have been against a Vlad signing but have warmed to it slightly over the last few weeks. In one way, I'm pretty disappointed about the loss of opportunities for Pie and Reimold. I still don't think this is the best move the the long term Orioles future.

That said, I've come to realize that this move will indirectly strengthen our bench, and if Vlad really does struggle, it won't be too difficult to switch playing time over to Reimold and Pie. It's not what I would have done but I can see a few scenarios where it turns out to be a good move.

Vlad has always been one of my favorite non-O's...Despite my optimistic feelings towards Pie and Reimold, if this deal goes through it will be fun to watch Vlad in an Oriole uniform. :thumbsup1:

It's a low risk move. Worst case scenario, Vlad would be a nasty platoon hitter against lefties. There will be injuries, most likely Jones since he has never had a healthy season. This team will benefit from depth, and Reimold/Pie will likely still get a chance to show us something at some point this season.

It's a low risk move. Worst case scenario, Vlad would be a nasty platoon hitter against lefties. T

Actually worst case scenario, as Drungo has pointed out, is Vlad is mediocre all season. Good enough that we can't cut him and give the playing time to Pie/Reimold, but bad enough where he's not really helping us.

not-sure-if-serious.jpg

C'mon folks, its sad when obviious satire isn't recognized (not you, Chaos).

I was not too crazy about a Vlad deal before, but if the price is anywhere south of $5 mm you have to jump at this. If the Rays can crowd Desmond Jennings, we certainly can crowd Reimold and/or Pie.

Actually worst case scenario, as Drungo has pointed out, is Vlad is mediocre all season. Good enough that we can't cut him and give the playing time to Pie/Reimold, but bad enough where he's not really helping us.

I disagree. Like I said, if he's mediocre for a long stretch, he will eventually be used more and more in a platoon role. It's not like the Orioles will be forced to play him every day because of his huge contract.

Given Guerrero's long-term history, recent history, and Camden Yards as his home park (1.034 career OPS at Camden - and yes, most of that damage was in his prime, but park effects will help him), I have little doubt that he will be able to contribute quite effectively against lefties - worst case scenario. He put up a .932 OPS last season against LHP's and has nearly a 1.000 OPS against them for his career. Setting aside my worst case platoon scenario, I expect he will be adequate all season, something around an .800 OPS. Most importantly, I trust that Buck won't leave him in the everyday DH role all season if his performance doesn't justify it.

MacPhail, really? You're going out of your way to "humble" a great player coming off a great season? Does the guy know anything about clubhouse chemistry? This is pathetic. The Orioles would rather put a few million in Peter Angelos's pocket than treat their free agent acquisitions with respect. We're going to have to put some SERIOUS work into rebuilding our relationships with player agents after this. A dumb, lazy move IMO...

Well this is certainly wins the ribbon for dumbest comment of the day.

:thumbsup1:

Oh no! We wouldn't want to make our lineup better. We don't want Pie and Reimold to actually have to earn playing time. Let's act like it's our 5 million we're spending. After all, Pie & Riemold have proven themselves as everyday major leaguers.

If we only had this type of competition amongst our staff, we might really have a competitive team. Let's worry about one year contracts and go by the hole bible of Roch. Vlad would be the worst thing to happen to the O's since Sammy Sosa.

I'll never get why people worry about playing time in an 162 game season. I want Pie & Reimold to prove themselves as much as the next guy, but let's not act like they're worthy of ignoring an opportunity.

Vlad is an upgrade, like it or not. If Pie or Riemold deserve ABs then they will have a chance to earn them. This isn't a 16 game season. May the best player win. Sign Vlad now. There's no salary cap in baseball. He's an asset worth having.

Tenuous and perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but that's what Twitter is for.

Some interesting stuff is going down.

http://twitter.com/#!/THE_ADAM_JONES/status/28706148068622336

night twitter world. all i can say is that its becoming interesting. very interesting. and to my new folowers. whats good??????

http://twitter.com/#!/THE_ADAM_JONES/status/28719493505093632

So either Vlad is in the bag.... or he's at a dope club.

Archived