Impressions from the B Team - Red Sox game

Frobby

"He had a good day, didn’t he? That was fun," Showalter said. "I walked by him before the game and to the guy he was throwing with, [Tyler] Henson, I said, ‘Is he nervous?’ And he said, ‘Yeah.’ I said, ‘Good, so am I.’ He was good. Joe was our minor league player of the year. He’s certainly what they look like. It was a good day for him. I was happy for him."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/03/showalter_meets_media_after_os.html

Nice words after the guy played his first spring training game. That's all I read into it.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wildcard, stat guys have a hard time believing in anything, until it shows up on paper. FWIW, and I know I don't have near the cred on these boards as the top dogs, but I've seen Mahoney a couple times in spring training and he's changed significantly in the last couple of years. I believe he's a legit prospect and look forward to him proving himself in the years to come.

Wildcard, stat guys have a hard time believing in anything, until it shows up on paper. FWIW, and I know I don't have near the cred on these boards as the top dogs, but I've seen Mahoney a couple times in spring training and he's changed significantly in the last couple of years. I believe he's a legit prospect and look forward to him proving himself in the years to come.

"Stat guys"?!

...racist.

Joking aside, I, as a hard-core stat guy, completely understand the value of scouting and context. If a toolsy player struggles in his first professional season in an advanced league, I don't write him off. I don't need to see a good OPS or ERA to consider a prospect legitimate.

I don't think that anyone is right or wrong here. It's a judgement call.

I don't agree that Reimold needs to play everyday to be valuable to the O's. If he plays enough to keep his timing down then he could still be very valuable.

Scott doesn't have to sit for Reimold to play. If Scott plays first or DHs then Reimold can play left. Both Vlad and Lee are 35 or older. Both have had injury problems in recent years. Lee is not going to be playing many day games after night games. Scott is not going to get at bats against tough lefties if unless he isn't red hot. Buck knows how to use a bench. I think there is room for Reimold to valuable on the roster.

The object here is to have the best 25 man roster that the O's can have. Whether Reimold plays everyday to secondary.

Reimold's trial period is not over. He will have to hit well and play decent defense until opening day to win a spot.

The team did know when it signed Vlad what to expect from Reimold. What he has shown so far is that he is playing more like he did in 2009, which can be valuable to the team. It is better for the team over a long season to have both Reimold and Vlad. And that is the goal. To have the best major league team possible.

Is that really the object? Don't you also consider players long term development, contract status, etc. As I noted in previous posts, i don't think any team in baseball really takes their best 25.

Is that really the object? Don't you also consider players long term development, contract status, etc. As I noted in previous posts, i don't think any team in baseball really takes their best 25.

Certainly options can make a difference. Long term development might apply to Bell. Reimold is too old for that to apply to him IMO. The other thing that is considered is team makeup. That is where Buck considers two backup infielders instead of 5 outfielders.

Sometimes the best 25 man roster is not the best players individually. Its the best 25 that fit together.

I think alot depends on how Lee comes along in the next three weeks.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/03/showalter_meets_media_after_os.html

Nice words after the guy played his first spring training game. That's all I read into it.

First base prospect Joe Mahoney, the organization's reigning minor league player of the year, went 3-for-3 with an RBI, a stolen base and a walk. The young first baseman has really impressed Showalter and did so again today.

From the article you linked to.

From the article you linked to.

Your are quickly getting into Jtrea area when it comes to obsessions. ;)

Everyone here is happy that Mahoney is doing well and everyone here hopes that he can become a legitimate major league players player one day, but just because Buck says he was impressed by the guy does not mean he's penciling him into the first base job nor does it mean the guy is a top prospect.

We have years of data to go off of as well as multiple scouting reports on Mahoney and non suggests he's an impact major leaguer. Now, that doesn't mean he can't or won't become a legitimate option at first base one day, but he still has a lot to prove.

Mahoney is an impressive guy to watch because he's big guy that moves very well. He has light-tower BP power, and had a great year last year between Frederick and Bowie including an incredible hot streak when he first arrived in AA.

Saying that, there are concerns that Mahoney will struggle against good inside fastballs and good major league offspeed pitches and defensively he's average at best, although I happen to think he's better than some other scouts I've talked to. He doesn't walk a lot and until last year he never really hit for a high average. Until last year he never showed much power so he'll need to prove this year that he can continue to hit for power and average while hopefully improving his ability to draw a walk.

Mahoney improved his stock a lot last year and to me, he's got a chance for a major league career, but he's got things he needs to prove this year before he steps up into that top prospect area.

He's certainly been fun to watch last year an this spring so hopefully he will prove your optimism right!

I thought Big Irish Joe looked very fluid in his swing and around the bag. He showed he could drive the ball and I don't care if it was a hanger. There is several hangers hit in ML ballparks every night. He made them pay, what was he supposed to do? I may not have been as vocal as Wildcard about my opinion of Mahoney, but I believe he is a guy that will make it. It may take two more years for him to reach impact level/middle of the order type guy, but I believe he will do it. Just a bit of a late bloomer. He's made dramatic improvement each year, but I'll buy that some folks aren't convinced yet and need one more season like last year to get on the bus. For the record, Wildcard may be driving the bus, but I'm standing right behind him holding on for the ride. :D

I really liked Bell, what a difference. Snyder looks like his bat is just a bit quicker than last year. And hey, Andino had his ear untucked from his hat????? :clap3: And I still don't think he has a chance to make this team.

Bottom line, it is very early just yet to form strong opinions on many. Winn sure didn't look good and I can't say I was impressed in the least with Drese, left a lot of pitches up. Angle looked like he was in way over his head, but I can only imagine how fast the game must be for him at times right now. But again, it is early.

Your are quickly getting into Jtrea area when it comes to obsessions. ;)

Everyone here is happy that Mahoney is doing well and everyone here hopes that he can become a legitimate major league players player one day, but just because Buck says he was impressed by the guy does not mean he's penciling him into the first base job nor does it mean the guy is a top prospect.

We have years of data to go off of as well as multiple scouting reports on Mahoney and non suggests he's an impact major leaguer. Now, that doesn't mean he can't or won't become a legitimate option at first base one day, but he still has a lot to prove.

Mahoney is an impressive guy to watch because he's big guy that moves very well. He has light-tower BP power, and had a great year last year between Frederick and Bowie including an incredible hot streak when he first arrived in AA.

Saying that, there are concerns that Mahoney will struggle against good inside fastballs and good major league offspeed pitches and defensively he's average at best, although I happen to think he's better than some other scouts I've talked to. He doesn't walk a lot and until last year he never really hit for a high average. Until last year he never showed much power so he'll need to prove this year that he can continue to hit for power and average while hopefully improving his ability to draw a walk.

Mahoney improved his stock a lot last year and to me, he's got a chance for a major league career, but he's got things he needs to prove this year before he steps up into that top prospect area.

He's certainly been fun to watch last year an this spring so hopefully he will prove your optimism right!

I agree with everything you just wrote.

Here is what I have said about Mahoney.

1) I said he has impressed Buck and Buck said he looks like a ball player. That is a complement it has only been reported that Buck has given to a few and to hardly any minor leaguers that have never played in the majors. I don't think this is in dispute although some don't value the comment. I do.

2) I said that Buck's comments and Mahoney's play this spring so far has moved him up on the prospect list IMO. I say to #3. That is not saying a lot because there is quite a drop off after Britton and Machado. I asked who would be ahead of him considering Buck impression and how he as played this spring and no one has answered except for Frobby who would not name anyone.

Past that I haven't said much at all.

As far as Mahoney's past history, players develop. At least we hope they do. That is what I hope he did last year and what he is showing this spring - development.

Frobby decided to zap me as being bias. If someone zaps me I am probably going to respond.

As for a your JTrea comment. I doubt I am close. I am not saying that Mahoney should make the O's 25 roster this spring. I just said his play this spring and the impression he left on Buck moves him up on the prospect list IMO.

Now I agree that his flaws may show as the competition gets tougher. We don't know how that will play out right now. If it happens I will be willing to say that it effects the way I think about him. But let's wait and see. Right now he is showing well.

I think WC is past the optimism stage and is in full blown Man-Crush stage:wedge:

Actually, I don't think so. I am not even sure that Mahoney is the best young 1st baseman that the O's have. If Townsend can stay healthy, he might light it up and pass everyone.

Archived