Soriano

Sports Guy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you talking about? He says he wants to stay in DC. Not Mayberry but not bright lights big-city either. He'd come here if the money was right. Camden Yards would suit him just fine.

I call BS - he doesnt want to stay in DC. Hes been playing his way out of there all season, but he cant look like any more of a malcontent than he already has been.

The DBacks signed Glaus and Glaus was coming off an injury plagued year.

Also, i thinkt here was more of a selection that year as well.

Yeah, my bad on the signing. But I still predict 5/55 for Lee.

The draft is such a crapshoot. For every A-Rod, there's a Pujols who was taken at some obscene round after the Orioles passed on him like 18 times (we had 7 of first 50 picks that year). That isn't to say the Orioles were inept in this situation (although they have been consistently for a long time) - all the other teams missed him, too. I'm just saying that a second round pick, on average, probably contributes nothing to the team that drafts him. I don't have any stats on this, but it seems a vast majority of draft picks, especially after the 1st round, never even get close to reaching the major leagues. We are trying to rebuild through the draft, and I would be wary of giving up a high first-round pick, but since we are so bad, I wouldn't worry about a second-rounder for a Soriano.

Also, Lee will almost definitely get 5/70 at the least. Otherwise the Brewers would have probably gotten him signed. And the relative dearth of quality FA will drive up his price. In the offseason when we signed Tejada, you would be right.

Let's also not forget that if we sign Soriano, we will lose our second rounder.

I really do think about that all the time- the way ahead runs through the farm. We need, though, at least one impact bat, one rotation stabilizing pitcher, one righty off the bench, and one bullpen arm. We're just going to have to lose some picks, no way around it.

No...It is another factor you have to think about. Soriano is already not going to be worth what he gets and then, on top of that, you also lose a pick or 2. You have to consider that.

especially with our recent success in the draft...

Consider that 2nd round pick gone. It will be almsot impossible for even the Orioles not to sign at least one Type A or Type B FA who has been offered arbitration. We get hurt this year because we don't have any FA's that will get us some picks back. The Orioles will have to get creative (anyone interested in a bridge for sale?) in the draft and/or international signings next year because if they follow through on their plan to spend money we could be losing a bunch of picks after the 1st round.

We can get that pick right back by using a late round pick on a 2nd round talent holding out for 2nd-round money.

I'd worry about losing a 1st-round pick if we're ever not one of the 15 worst teams, but I wouldn't fret over losing a 2nd round pick.

What?! Is my math wrong, or did you just say you'd give someone $30 Million a year for 6 years???? (how did no one comment on this??)

Hahaha, maybe I did my math wrong, I was thinking low 20's. But Pujols is relatively young and will be great for a long time, I'd give him 6 years

FWIW...BP uses MORP to measure a players worth in terms of money...They value him at about 20 million over the next 4 years.

Now, this doesn't take into account the market nor his big jump in walks this year so that will likely be alot more but by how much?

In reality, Soriano is probably worth no more than 8-11 million a year for 3-5 years. However, he will get more than that and the question is, what do you want to do about that? How much do you want to go above that?

How many guys out there are actually worth 12 million per year? If money wasn't an issue would you want him occupying a roster spot for us? I would. Money's really not an issue for us with our current payroll and the MASN deal.

Sign this guy.

Ok everyone saying no then please tell me who we are going after? Soriano wants 5/75 Lee wants 5/75 neither one of them are worth it but that is what they will get. So if we arent going to field the same pathetic guys then who are we gonna get. Now dont get to creative cus we all know that will never happen.

1b either Nomar or Travis Lee

LF either Ryan Klesko or Shannon Stewart

SP either Jamie Moyer or David Wells

That follows the track record of FA signings for the last 5 or 6 years and looks to be the fits our FO would capture.

We can get that pick right back by using a late round pick on a 2nd round talent holding out for 2nd-round money.

I'd worry about losing a 1st-round pick if we're ever not one of the 15 worst teams, but I wouldn't fret over losing a 2nd round pick.

We'll be losing out on quality players and won't be able to make up for it w/later round picks. There is no evidence that Angelos is willing to thumb his nose at the guidelines of MLB. A lot of owners take those guidelines seriously. Just look at the Mets. We benefited by them sticking to the MLB guidelines which allowed us to draft Beato.

We have an asset in the FO in Jordan who has done a great job. We should fret over tying his hands behind his back and thereby limiting his effectiveness by giving up picks.

How many guys out there are actually worth 12 million per year? If money wasn't an issue would you want him occupying a roster spot for us? I would. Money's really not an issue for us with our current payroll and the MASN deal.

Sign this guy.

We must not be shortsighted, it has nothing to do w/the current payroll. If we could get Soriano for $15m a year for the next two years, that'd be great, I'd have no problem w/it. We are going to need young pitching to compete. If they perform the way we need them to, they will get very expensive. If the team overextends on bad contracts which is almost certainly what Lee and Soriano's will be then we're screwed in 2009 and beyond when a lot of the young players will be ready for big raises.

It's why I was in favor of Burrell. While he's overpaid, he provides a big bat over the next couple of years w/o being a financial burden the team is stuck with when (hopefully) we have to dish out some big raises to the youngins.

Archived