Buster Olney's offseason plan for the O's

Cornbread

Colon, Escobar, and Lackey are enough vets, add Weaver and Saunders, and that's 5 starters. I don't see why they'd give up anyone with high value for Benson.

Aren't you the same guy preaching 6-7 starters? On a staff with 2 injury question marks and an underwhelming(before this year) pitcher in Saunders, they could use a more dependable guy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and get rid of Colon this offseason.

But we will see. They are an intriguing team as they can go in so many directions.

As i said before, if he becomes available, i think AROD is an Angel and that would end all of this anyway.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My guess is the Angels would put Miggy at SS if they get him in the offseason. Other teams would as well.

If anyone is scouting him, they see improved defense, which is why they wanted to move him int he first place. His knee is healthy now.

TEx's slugging is still 100 points down and his homers are way down. Recent power surge or not, the n umbers don't lie. His power is down and that really can't be denied.

His power is not down right now though. I'm sure there were concerns earlier in the season, I was wondering what his deal was, but his recent surge should mostly dispell those worries.

Aren't you the same guy preaching 6-7 starters? On a staff with 2 injury question marks and an underwhelming(before this year) pitcher in Saunders, they could use a more dependable guy.

But we will see. They are an intriguing team as they can go in so many directions.

As i said before, if he becomes available, i think AROD is an Angel and that would end all of this anyway.

Yes, but I want a guy like Penn/Loewen to be the 6th guy, not an 8M league average guy, big difference.

Where would the Angels have the money for A-Rod.

Probably in the bank.

Funny. I don't see the Angels being able to pay A-Rod for so many years. I think the Angels sign Soriano to play LF or 2nd with Kendrick. That way they get Tejada production without giving up any players.

Funny. I don't see the Angels being able to pay A-Rod for so many years. I think the Angels sign Soriano to play LF or 2nd with Kendrick. That way they get Tejada production without giving up any players.

With the money the Rangers are paying for AROD's contract, he will not be making much more than what Soriano will get.

Plus, i think Colon would be in the deal, which is another huge chunk of money off the payroll.

With the money the Rangers are paying for AROD's contract, he will not be making much more than what Soriano will get.

Plus, i think Colon would be in the deal, which is another huge chunk of money off the payroll.

The Yankees are not dumb enough to do a Colon+whoever for Arod. Plus A-rod is making 16 mill for about 5 more years. There is no way Soriano gets more than 13 mill a year.

It is not a right or wrong post. Man you got an ego SG.

You said NO WAY Soriano gets more than 13 million. NO WAY? Reports are he wants at least 5/75 and will have all the big name teams gunnign for him. You say it with certainty. All reports say you are wrong.

And why wouldn't the yanks want Colon? They will be looking to upgrade their rotation and in a deal like this, he would be a logical player going back to NY.

So you think Melky and Hughes or Wang does it but Gibbons, Benson and 2 of Reimold, Liz, Olson, Hoey and Britton is a joke? Wow!

What else with Lester?

Rodney and Maroth or Robertson is so much better than that package?

Reimold and Liz are rated amongst the best 75 minor leaguers in baseball...Benson is a league average guy and Gibbons can give you, if he stays healthy, a 850ish OPS with 30 homers. That is a package to laugh at but yours aren't? Just wow.

The problem is that you're not giving even one elite young ML-ready player.

Those other packages begin with a team's top prospect (or two), and include other young, valuable ML-proven pieces.

With you offer, there's no Bedard or Roberts or Cabrera. There's no Markakis or Penn or Loewen or Ray either. There's just a collection of merely-adequate MLers (Benson, Gibbons), a no-sure-thing AA arm (Liz), unproven relievers, and an OF that's got a nice high ceiling but is struggling at A-ball (Reimold).

There's no one or two marquee players/prospects for the Rangers to sink their teeth into. Just a big pile of crumbs. Quantity /= quality.

So instead of herding up a whole fistful of OK guys, think in terms of what two or three of your top players you'd give for Tex (and what two or three players they'd want).

You said NO WAY Soriano gets more than 13 million. NO WAY? Reports are he wants at least 5/75 and will have all the big name teams gunnign for him. You say it with certainty. All reports say you are wrong.

And why wouldn't the yanks want Colon? They will be looking to upgrade their rotation and in a deal like this, he would be a logical player going back to NY.

I agree with you here, I don't think Soriano should get over 13M a year, but there is a decent chance he does. And if the Yanks decide to trade Arod, a deal for Colon and another good player or two would make some sense. Although, I think they could do better unless the other good player or two holds a lot of value.

The problem is that you're not giving even one elite young ML-ready player.

Those other packages begin with a team's top prospect (or two), and include other young, valuable ML-proven pieces.

With you offer, there's no Bedard or Roberts or Cabrera. There's no Markakis or Penn or Loewen or Ray either. There's just a collection of merely-adequate MLers (Benson, Gibbons), a no-sure-thing AA arm (Liz), unproven relievers, and an OF that's got a nice high ceiling but is struggling at A-ball (Reimold).

There's no one or two marquee players/prospects for the Rangers to sink their teeth into. Just a big pile of crumbs. Quantity /= quality.

So instead of herding up a whole fistful of OK guys, think in terms of what two or three of your top players you'd give for Tex (and what two or three players they'd want).

I agree. That trade might not be a horrible offer, but I think they'd want more top talent, and if they want to shed payroll as SG suggested they might, Benson and Gibbons would not be of interest, maybe just Gibbons, but I doubt he adds that much.

Archived