And a different window closes

Gofannon

That's the window to draw the interest of the Baltimore sports fan.

Ever since the NFL lockout started, conversations about the Ravens and football in general have been greatly diminished. The NFL draft was much less of a conversation piece than past years. University of Maryland sports teams have new coaches, but they're coming off of down years and could have some rough transitions next year.

In March, the Orioles were fresh off their most successful two months in over a decade, with a big-name manager for the first time since Davey Johnson. .500 seemed like a realistic goal, and everywhere you looked there was a young starter looking to make an impact on the big-league club. When you add in Reynolds, Vlad, and D. Lee, there was a lot new and a lot that could be interesting with the Birds.

Well, now football's back, and we're looking at a week that will be filled with signings and roster moves by the Ravens. The countdown will begin to the opening game against the Steelers. And the O's will return where they've spent the past 10 Augusts and Septembers, page 3 of the Sports section of the Baltimore Sun.

I find this as one more depressing part of this season. Not only was there hope at the beginning of the year, there was an opportunity to bring people back. I think that chance has left the building, probably for a while.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, no trade the Orioles can make before Sunday will be as big a deal as whatever free agent signings and deals the Ravens make in the next few weeks. Especially with the release of Heap and Mason tonight, now the Ravens will be in the market for a big name WR (they'll probably re-sign Heap for less money).

Meanwhile, we'll get some AA guys that 99% of Baltimore sports fans have never heard of. And you're right, it will be on page 3.

Well, at least we have Buck Showalter taking over as manager to look forward to. Oh wait.

I still will (most likely always) prefer the O's to the Ravens (and baseball to football for that matter), but the Orioles are doing their best to completely stomp out my interest for this season.
The only real football team Bltimore ever had, was the Colts. The Ravens are interesting, but they are really the Cleveland Browns, and a Baltimor team by proxy. If we could get the Colts name back, and history, I'd be excited. It would be like the Dodgers coming back to Brooklyn.

The only real football team Bltimore ever had, was the Colts. The Ravens are interesting, but they are really the Cleveland Browns, and a Baltimor team by proxy. If we could get the Colts name back, and history, I'd be excited. It would be like the Dodgers coming back to Brooklyn.

That's really been my problem with the Ravens. They have no history and a generic, concrete, corporate jungle of a stadium....why would I adopt them with the passion that I do the Orioles? Granted, they're a winning franchise, and I'd love to feel that with the modern day Orioles...

I follow the Ravens, and I cheer for them...but dammit I just can't embrace them the way I do the Orioles.

I don't know how you can say the Ravens don't have any history. In the time since the Orioles last won anything Ravens fans have gotten a Super Bowl, 3 conference championship games, the best rivalry in football, 2 sure fire HOF players, a 2k yard rusher, and one of the best defensive decades in history.

Just because it didnt happen in the 60s and 70s doesnt mean its not history.

(Can you tell which team comes first for me?:laughlol:)

I don't know how you can say the Ravens don't have any history. In the time since the Orioles last won anything Ravens fans have gotten a Super Bowl, 3 conference championship games, the best rivalry in football, 2 sure fire HOF players, a 2k yard rusher, and one of the best defensive decades in history.

(Can you tell which team comes first for me?:laughlol:)

I guess I just don't consider 15 years "history", especially when our history left back in 1984.

It's tough to truly embrace a football team when I was born in 1983, and we didn't have a football team until 1996. It was never a part of my childhood. Baseball is all I've ever known.

It's not history because it doesn't include what Unitas, Berry, Moore, Mackey, and on and on did. I identify with Indianapolis and Peyton Manning more than I ever will with the Ravens and Ray Lewis.

I hate the NFL so this sucks pretty much. I was actually upset the lockout ended.

Yeah, I was pulling for a lockout as well, but I am happy for my fellow fans who do like the NFL, particularly those in Baltimore who don't have much else to be excited about. I used to be a big NFL fan in my younger days, just not that into it anymore, so much about the game has changed that sort of turns me off.

The younger generation would very much disagree with many of the posts about the Ravens in this topic...

Yeah, born in 1990 so I the Ravens are all I've known. I'm still big into Colts history though and I appreciate all that they've done (and still do) for the city.

Perfect example of the OPs topic, the Ravens made a bunch of cuts yesterday. My phone blew up with texts within the hour. I garantee that only one or two people will care when we move guys at the deadline. It's unfortunate for the Orioles that they have become second fiddle, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

The sordid background of their most visible player is another big negative.

To you, maybe. Not to me and anyone else who followed that case and has seen what Lewis has done since then...

The Ravens are Baltimore's chance to know what winning feels like. Can't wait for the season now that this stupid work stoppage is over.

The last Dugout Club game of the season is on Sunday, September 18th at 1:35. I'll be there with my kids, but I'll be one of the few, and many who are there will be paying more attention to the Ravens-Titans game than the baseball game in front of them.

Archived