Bobby Valentine heading to Boston.

MikeAD

bobbyvalentinemoustache.jpg

This kind of stuff is why I like Valentine. I love flakes and weirdos.

I don't have much respect for his talents and dealings tho. (Especially his dealings with us.) I'm LOVING this pick by the Bosox! I think it's a disaster for their team (+++++++) and it's going to be HIGH comedy the whole time! *popping the corn as I type*

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go to SOSH. Lucchino has become their PA in regard to perceived meddling.

Not necessarily a question to you, but anyone in general... I know LL is Boston's main money guy, but he does have a baseball background, right? Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

He is 180 degrees different from Francona and like him or not TF fit in Boston with his low key approach. The players are the stars in Boston not the manager. Valentine will have more front page stories than anyone on the roster the first 30 days and beyond. I know some will disagree with my next comment but.......adding Boston coaches to our staff is a good thing and in fact might help us as DD builds the roster into a winning team. When some of their stars hit free agency in the next few years they may decdide to come down to Fenway south as their former coaches try to recruit them. Money obviously will be the bottom line but money being equal some of their guys may want to join the Orioles and feel comfortable with some of their former coaches. I say might want to come. I think free agents and their agents will also be looking at DD'S moves and start looking at Baltimore differently. It all comes down to wins and losses usually and any player that has played at OP has nothing but positive things to say about playing here. I agree. Hiring Valentine is the best thing that could have happened to us and unfortunately the Yankees and rest of the AL East. Are DD'S moves so far little things or big things? They could be bigger than you think.

I have no idea how he'll do in Boston, but I kind of hate this move because it makes me have to dislike Valentine. And that's difficult for me, since he's a little wacky, and baseball today needs all the wacky it can get.

I can't truly dislike anybody who once sat in the dugout wearing Groucho Marx glasses to get around an ejection, then went to Japan and managed some very good teams.

There are a lot of parallels between the Red Sox's manager search and the Orioles' GM search. In both cases the search took a long time, the organization got criticized, some candidates were hired elsewhere and the team ended up hiring someone who had success a decade ago but has been out of MLB a long time. In both cases the guy hired was someone who is very smart but sometimes had trouble getting along with others in their past jobs.

Now I'm just hoping Valentine doesn't want DeMarlo Hale as his bench coach.

This kind of stuff is why I like Valentine. I love flakes and weirdos.

I don't have much respect for his talents and dealings tho. (Especially his dealings with us.) I'm LOVING this pick by the Bosox! I think it's a disaster for their team (+++++++) and it's going to be HIGH comedy the whole time! *popping the corn as I type*

Baseball needs more nuts. More people who're willing to do what other people think is crazy. It's a little unfortunate that I now have to root for his goofball ideas to fail, because that'll just make it less likely anybody deviates from SOPs, and that just makes baseball less interesting.

Has never finished in first place...except in Japan.

Are you saying it's harder to manage in the majors than in Japan? I think success is success, and that it's definitely a feather in Valentine's cap that he was able to succeed in an enviornment that's very suspicious of outsiders and very tied to traditional methods.

Managing is weird voodoo stuff, so who knows if his voodoo will work in Boston. He is a polarizing figure. Wasn't the safe, boring choice.

Archived