Ryan Braun Tests Positive For PEDs

Remember The Alomar

He wanted to win? Maybe he saw last season as his best chance to win a WS ring.

Maybe, but I think he'd be awful arrogant to assume that he could make that much of a difference by juicing. According to BBRef, Braun was worth 7.7 WAR, with .6 of that coming from defensive value. His defensive value was .5 WAR higher than the previous season, but his offensive value was 2.5 WAR higher than the previous season. However, last season was a down year for him, as he was worth 5.9 WAR (6.5 oWAR, -.6 dWAR) 2 seasons ago. Assuming he was clean back then, is it really a wise decision to risk so much over what amounts to a .6 oWAR increase over what you were already capable of, and would that half of a win really make that much of a difference in the standings?

That half a win could mean a lot to a replacement player, but is it worth the risk when you're already a 5-6 win player?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now, you've lost me. I was just starting to admire your stance but if you can't take it all the way, you lose something. You commend guys for doing what they had to do to be the best without penalty. Well, now we have guys taking more risk to be the best. Seems to me that should put them even higher up on your pedestal. You honestly can't believe why someone like Braun would take the risk? You're kidding? He risks a suspension and public embarrasment for the reward of stardom and money, over the small chance they he gets caught. A lot less was known about these things 20 years ago or even 10 years ago. Players were risking (not that they aren't now) their health and their lives. If you don't understand why Braun would take the risk then I think you've got your head in the sand. He's just one of many taking the risk. And it seems to be working out for most of them. How's ARod's career worked out so far. Think of all the ones we don't know about.

I didn't say that I didn't commend him for making himself the best by whatever means necessary, because I do, but given the quality of player Braun already was and the change in culture and policy over the past decade, I don't understand why it was worth risking at that point. He already had everything you said he had to gain. The only thing he had to gain at this point was the difference between being great and one of the best ever. I suppose I can't fault him for trying.

Come on, Corn! You think he just started last year?

Am I the only one who doesn't believe the only time these guys used is when they were actually caught? Please, tell me I'm not alone.

You are not alone. Two years ago Amber asked a player off the record how large a percentage of PED users were among current major leaguers. She was to she was naively low at her guess of 70 percent who had dabbled.

First, we're assuming that he's guilty. Second, you're assuming that if he is guilty that this is something he just started doing this year. I think if you are going to assume the first, which I am at this point, then you can't assume the second.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that he had been using the whole time. Even then, he already had money, fame, and stardom. The only thing he had to gain by continuing to use, if he had in fact been using all along, was the chance of becoming one of the all time greats. I still think it's very valid to wonder why he continued to risk it, assuming he wasn't clean all along, after getting everything he could possibly need.

At this point, the reason for starting to use or continuing to use would have to be based in his own desire to be the greatest, which would be a pretty bold move. Maybe not the smartest move given what he had to lose, but bold none the less.

Even if he used the whole time it's not like he'd suddenly revert to a 150 lb weakling by coming off. So long as he trains at a level to maintain his current muscle mass and diets properly, it's not like he'll suddenly lose everything he built.

I guess where we disagree is that it's unethical to do what is necessary to get ahead and/or stay at the top, especially something like this that really isn't hurting anyone and ultimately isn't even that much of an advantage given the environment. Such was the reality of professional athletics and bodybuilding for the better part of the past 50 years.

Yeah, I don't think it was unethical either.

I don't think many of these PED's are as bad (if bad at all) for people as much of the public thinks.

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/steroids/f/steroids_faq08.htm

An undetermined percentage of steroid abusers become addicted to the drugs, as evidenced by their continuing to take steroids in spite of physical problems, negative effects on social relations, or nervousness and irritability.

Also, they spend large amounts of time and money obtaining the drugs and experience withdrawal symptoms such as mood swings, fatigue, restlessness, loss of appetite, insomnia, reduced sex drive, and the desire to take more steroids.

The most dangerous of the withdrawal symptoms is depression, because it sometimes leads to suicide attempts. Untreated, some depressive symptoms associated with anabolic steroid withdrawal have been known to persist for a year or more after the abuser stops taking the drugs.

It's still a joke. And the others I suppose even more so. If Braun has been getting away with it for 9 years under the MLB system and only just now has been caught, how effective could it be? Of course maybe there is another explaination......:scratchchinhmm:

This is amazing logic...really. And what is this 9 years stuff?

According to the New York Daily News, Braun's original test for PED's was "insanely high, the higest ever or anyone who has ever taken a test, twice the level of the previous highest level ever taken."

That actually makes me more likely to believe he is innocent.

Mind you I still think he did it but something like that certainly makes the chances of a screwup of some kind more likely.

According to the New York Daily News, Braun's original test for PED's was "insanely high, the highest ever or anyone who has ever taken a test, twice the level of the previous highest level ever taken."

Is that even possible? If not, then we have ourselves a false positive folks.

Yeah, it is absolutely possible. It is not like Heroin or alcohol where it would kill you. He was just caught in the end of cycling. Not at the beginning or the middle, but as he was topping of for crunch time.

Is that even possible? If not, then we have ourselves a false positive folks.

Yeah, it is absolutely possible. It is not like Heroin or alcohol where it would kill you. He was just caught in the end of cycling. Not at the beginning or the middle, but as he was topping of for crunch time.

As far as cycling goes, I've actually discovered that it is more common to front load a cycle with short estered testosterones or orals in order to sort of kick start the cycle while the longer estered steroids take their time to kick in. My thought is that he was kick starting a cycle towards the end of the season hat he could end it during the offseason with enough time for it to clear his system by spring. That scenario makes the most sense to me, as he probably thought there was very little chance he would be tested by the time the season ended.

If my hypothesis is correct, Braun and most athletes are beating the system by playing the time game during the offseason. Manny's positive test for clomid last spring could farther support this, as Clomid is a common post cycle drug used to restore ones natural testosterone production.

Archived