MLBTR: Rockies Offer Moyer Minor League Deal (Moyer signs)

Don Quixote

2nd MLB player to hold an AARP card (after Satchel Paige)?

Charlie O'Leary, Nick Altrock, Satchel, Orator Jim O'Rourke, and Minnie Minoso all appeared in major league games at 50 or older. All of them were essentially stunts. O'Leary's last real game in the majors came at 37 in 1913, then he pinch hit in one game for the Browns in 1934. Altrock was one of baseball's famous class clowns, and he had five one-game appearances at age 42, 47, 52, 54, and 56. O'Rourke is a HOFer who won two batting titles in the 1870s, but then caught a single game for John McGraw's Giants at the end of 1904.

Charlie O'Leary, Nick Altrock, Satchel, Orator Jim O'Rourke, and Minnie Minoso all appeared in major league games at 50 or older. All of them were essentially stunts. O'Leary's last real game in the majors came at 37 in 1913, then he pinch hit in one game for the Browns in 1934. Altrock was one of baseball's famous class clowns, and he had five one-game appearances at age 42, 47, 52, 54, and 56. O'Rourke is a HOFer who won two batting titles in the 1870s, but then caught a single game for John McGraw's Giants at the end of 1904.

Also, Jack Quinn's last game was six days after his 50th birthday. He's the only one that wasn't really a stunt, as he was a viable (above average even) MLB player up until his final year.

Also, Jack Quinn's last game was six days after his 50th birthday. He's the only one that wasn't really a stunt, as he was a viable (above average even) MLB player up until his final year.

There's some dispute about Quinn's real birthday, but the 1883 date is apparently the earliest of the various dates thrown around. So I believe bb-ref when it says his last game was at 49. He did play in the minors into his early 50s.

Iron Man McGinnity actually pitched 90-some games in the minors in his 50s. He was 15-20 in 37 games in 1893, then was 6-7 in 16 games in 1925. To beat that 32-year professional paying career Jamie Moyer would have to pitch in a few games in low-A or an indy league in 2017!

There's some dispute about Quinn's real birthday, but the 1883 date is apparently the earliest of the various dates thrown around. So I believe bb-ref when it says his last game was at 49. He did play in the minors into his early 50s.

Iron Man McGinnity actually pitched 90-some games in the minors in his 50s. He was 15-20 in 37 games in 1893, then was 6-7 in 16 games in 1925. To beat that 32-year professional paying career Jamie Moyer would have to pitch in a few games in low-A or an indy league in 2017!

BB-ref lists Quinn's DOB as 7/1/83 and his final game as 7/7/33. Unless my math is very bad, that means he pitched his final game at age 50. The B-R Bullpen says so too.

Also, Hoyt Wilhelm missed pitching after age 50 by about two weeks.

Didn't know that about McGinnity. His minor league career is pretty incredible to look at, seeing just how much he pitched throughout his 40s (and how well, too).

BB-ref lists Quinn's DOB as 7/1/83 and his final game as 7/7/33. Unless my math is very bad, that means he pitched his final game at age 50. The B-R Bullpen says so too.

Also, Hoyt Wilhelm missed pitching after age 50 by about two weeks.

Didn't know that about McGinnity. His minor league career is pretty incredible to look at, seeing just how much he pitched throughout his 40s (and how well, too).

I think you're right, his baseball age was 49, actual age 50.

Archived