Per Roch: Reimold is taking cuts baby!!

Todd-O

Buck was interviewed on the mid-atlantic sports report this afternoon. He said that they are trying to get Nolan out there as quick as possible... Tuesday.... Basically saying they want to get him right back in the saddle. Interestingly, he followed that by saying (later in the interview) that LF is still up for grabs. Sounds like he wants to get things paired down to a 40 man roster as quickly as possible... Said he wants to give his "team" time to get to know each other as a team.

My last at-bat in American legion ball, I was hit in the face with a pitch that broke my nose. I didn't hit live pitching again until the next fall during a intra squad fall game at college...the best thing in the world happened to me...I was hit in the back in my first at-bat... no more worries. It definitely helped me getting my confidence back, hopefully being thrown in the fire this quickly does the same for Reimold.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I truly wasn't but I'm slowly learning that once a long-time poster runs with something on here, the newbie gets buried. My view was spun, and suddenly I was sprayed with negative rep from everyone. Not gonna cry about it, but lesson learned here. Let's just say there's obviously Reimold fans here. :)

This has nothing to do with tenure on the board. It has to do with common decency.

I posted this in another thread but since this one is specifically about Reimold, I'll re-post it here. I'm fed up with people saying he's been given "all sorts of chances" only to fail.

---------------------------------------------

Reimold: has never been consistent enough to hold on to a starting job even though we've tried to hand it to him multiple times and is also injury prone.

I don't agree with many of the points you made but this one warranted an immediate response.

The Orioles handed the starting job to him 3 times:

1. 2009 Mid May to Mid September

He logged 358 AB with an impressive .279/.365/.466/.831 slash with 15 HR. In Mid September he suffered an injury.

2. 2010 April to Early May

He started the season as the starting LF but was clearly not fully healed from his injury the previous season. It bothered him the entire year and his performance showed in both the majors and the minors.

3. 2011 Mid July to End of Season

He was called up as a bench player in May and wasn't made a regular starter until Mid July. In the following months, he increased his OBP from .262 (July) to .283 (Aug) to .385 (Sept/Oct).

So the result is that he has been handed the job thrice and has stepped up to the task 2 of the 3 times. The only time he failed as a starter was due to a lingering injury. I won't deny with you that he's been a little inconsistent and might be injury prone. However, to paint the picture that we keep handing him the job and he keeps failing is inaccurate. He appears to have found his stroke and is completely healthy.

A .285/.370/.450/.820 season with 25 HR's is a perfectly plausible projection and more than viable for a starting OF in this league.

I posted this in another thread but since this one is specifically about Reimold, I'll re-post it here. I'm fed up with people saying he's been given "all sorts of chances" only to fail.

---------------------------------------------

I don't agree with many of the points you made but this one warranted an immediate response.

The Orioles handed the starting job to him 3 times:

1. 2009 Mid May to Mid September

He logged 358 AB with an impressive .279/.365/.466/.831 slash with 15 HR. In Mid September he suffered an injury.

2. 2010 April to Early May

He started the season as the starting LF but was clearly not fully healed from his injury the previous season. It bothered him the entire year and his performance showed in both the majors and the minors.

3. 2011 Mid July to End of Season

He was called up as a bench player in May and wasn't made a regular starter until Mid July. In the following months, he increased his OBP from .262 (July) to .283 (Aug) to .385 (Sept/Oct).

So the result is that he has been handed the job thrice and has stepped up to the task 2 of the 3 times. The only time he failed as a starter was due to a lingering injury. I won't deny with you that he's been a little inconsistent and might be injury prone. However, to paint the picture that we keep handing him the job and he keeps failing is inaccurate. He appears to have found his stroke and is completely healthy.

A .285/.370/.450/.820 season with 25 HR's is a perfectly plausible projection and more than viable for a starting OF in this league.

He also had some pretty significant personal issues in 2010. Not that they weren't of his own doing. I do hope he can stay healthy and we can see what he can do this year.

I think after this latest Reimold thing, I'll spend more time listening than posting unless I can relay my views a little more clearer. Alot can be learned from members here. I would like to once again say that I wasn't jumping for joy when a everyday player basically got delivered a season-ending injury whether I care for the player or not. Hopefully Nolan makes his mark and proves me wrong, but still hope there's room for Miller on the roster. Pulling for the guy, can't deny it. :thumbsup1:

In the great words of one John Rambo:

"Let it go..."

He also had some pretty significant personal issues in 2010. Not that they weren't of his own doing. I do hope he can stay healthy and we can see what he can do this year.

I agree 100%

@ isestrex: that's a great summary of Reimold's history. I've always had a feeling he's been close... Held back by some really unfortunate events.

The swelling in Nolan Reimold's left cheek is almost gone. Though he's not ready to devour a steak - too much chewing - he's progressed from shakes to soft foods. And he's taking hard swings in the batting cage.

Reimold will return to the Orioles' lineup [Tuesday] afternoon against the Tampa Bay Rays, only four days after being drilled in the face by an Alex Cobb fastball in Port Charlotte.

"It's healing pretty fast," he said this morning after taking batting practice. "Just sitting here doesn't hurt really at all. It's just biting down or moving it too far. But that doesn't really matter much when you're playing baseball.

"I'm kind of surprised at how little it hurt. It didn't hurt at all afterward. No aching or soreness."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/03/reimold-ready-for-return.html

I'm really glad this didn't turn out to be anything serious. I hope Nolan blasts one out today.

c

We know that Reimold is physically OK. Now, let's see if he can bounce back emotionally, as well. I read about when Frank Robinson was beaned in the head when he was with the Reds. He later stated that when he first came back, he was afraid of the ball for the first time in his life. Fortunately, he was able to overcome that, and continue with his long, illustrious career. :)

P.S. True to his word, F Robby actually gave an interview to a radio station that he had promised the same night that he was beaned :eektf: ... simply because he did not want to go back on his promise. :cool:

I think after this latest Reimold thing, I'll spend more time listening than posting unless I can relay my views a little more clearer. Alot can be learned from members here. I would like to once again say that I wasn't jumping for joy when a everyday player basically got delivered a season-ending injury whether I care for the player or not. Hopefully Nolan makes his mark and proves me wrong, but still hope there's room for Miller on the roster. Pulling for the guy, can't deny it. :thumbsup1:

I'm also curious to see if Miller is a good fit, but not at the expense of an injury. Let's hope LF is earned through performance. I want to see which player can legitimately earn the position.

Reimold value has remained a mystery, so far, due to his numerous unfortunate situations. I would love to see him stay healthy (physically and mentally), and get a true shot at starting. I must say that I was quite surprised at his speed, when his achilles finally healed, as he really hasn't had much of a of a chance to prove he's a starter.

It's going to be interesting to see how he does at the lead off position. I hope he gets a true opportunity to prove himself.

I'm also curious to see if Miller is a good fit, but not at the expense of an injury. Let's hope LF is earned through performance. I want to see which player can legitimately earn the position.

Miller has whiffed 7 times in 17 PA this spring. That's what I'm watching.

Archived