JAKE Today

OFFNY

Does he?

He has good velocity on a fastball he commands poorly, which is why despite the velocity he's always been homer prone.

He has a good curve, that he can't command consistently.

And a change-up that's pretty much show me.

Matusz has a far superior arsenal. Britton has a better pitch than anything Jake has. And if Tillman is back in the low 90s then I think his arsenal is better as well.

Matusz stuff doesn't come close to Arrieta's. Not even close.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matusz stuff doesn't come close to Arrieta's. Not even close.

In what way?

Velocity that's it. Newsflash: Velocity isn't the end all be all of stuff.

Matusz has a much better change, a much better slider, a curve that is similar, and better command. From the left side.

In what way?

Velocity that's it. Newsflash: Velocity isn't the end all be all of stuff.

Matusz has a much better change, a much better slider, a curve that is similar, and better command. From the left side.

It is all about command. Jake doesn't throw a straight fastball. Stuff isn't command. Matusz doesn't have the margin for error Jake does.

It is all about command. Jake doesn't throw a straight fastball. Stuff isn't command. Matusz doesn't have the margin for error Jake does.

Well, maybe it's semantics, but stuff is command imo. At the very least they are tied together.

Jake has a good fastball, which he can't command, so it doesn't do him much good.

It's not an accident that Matusz, outside of last year's horror show, has had far more ML success than Jake.

Whether or not stuff is command, there is nothing in Arrieta's history that suggests he's going to suddenly develop command enough to be anything more than a No. 4 or No. 5 starter.

It can happen - see Hammel, Jason - but it's unlikely. That said, Arrieta's peripherals suggest some improvement this year. I'm not really sure what the issue is.

Whether or not stuff is command, there is nothing in Arrieta's history that suggests he's going to suddenly develop command enough to be anything more than a No. 4 or No. 5 starter.

It can happen - see Hammel, Jason - but it's unlikely. That said, Arrieta's peripherals suggest some improvement this year. I'm not really sure what the issue is.

That is the interesting aspect of it.

I agree with this. I honestly think a lot of his issue is nerves. He seems to not be able to relax and perform to the best his ability once things get a little hairy. He's pretty high strung out there anyway. He'll cruise for awhile but as soon as he gets himself in a little bit of a jam he just can't seem to find a way to calm himself and execute.

It's another reason why I'm very much against him in a closer or fireman's role. At least at this point in his career.

Guest rochester

I'd send him down and give him some help to figure it out. I am not sure why some say that they do not want him to "dominate" in Norfolk. and if he did that's a good thing...but right now he needs some fixin', whether it is physical, mental, both or what, he is just not a ML pitcher right now.

JAKE ARRIETA O(vs. PHILLIES 6/08)

IP:O 4

H:o. 11

R:O. 9

BB:. 0 *

SO:. 5

Pitches: 83 (55 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2012 ERA: 6.32

* Arrieta had 1 hit batsman.

JAKE BY INNINGS

Archived