All signs point to major improvements

bigbird

He may be the first guy they attempt to trade but to lump him with guys like Ortiz, Chavez, Hawkins, Fio, Chen, RLo and some of the others as guys most likely to definitely gone is a bit much.

It wasn't a talent question it was "which guys won't be here to make room for 7-8 guys."

If we are going to trade anyone it will probably be Penn. So thats why I put him there. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But thats why I put him there. Those other guys could be released, sent to the minors, non-tendered or whatever. I'm not saying they are of equal talent.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penn or Cabrera will likely be the focal point of any big trade. My gut feeling is that the FO likes Loewen too much to even consider moving him (no surprise), but that they may consider the other two expendable in the right deal. Even given their struggles, Penn is still considered a very good pitching prospect, and teams hate facing Cabrera, even when he doesn't have his command. Someone will want these guys. Whether or not a package including either can land you a guy like Teixeira, I dunno.

I think this talk about Olsen in the starting 5 next spring is telling....I just don't know what it says. It can't be taken as a ringing endorsement of Penn. Does it mean Cabrera might be dealt? Benson? Personally, I think we're in a good situation having Bedard, Loewen and Cabrera. All have the ability to emerge as a #1 or #2 starter (Bedard is already there). I'd rather see us upgrade Benson, and leave the 5th starter for Penn, Olsen or other homegrown type or spring invitee. Only problem is, there's really nobody in the free agent starter category that is a significant upgrade over Benson.

And who would you package with Benson to get a higher calibur starter in return? Not going to happen. The FO really has its work cut out. I think they will be best off leaving the rotation as Bedard, Cabrera, Loewen, Benson and Penn/Olsen to start the season. Focus your free agent money on Soriano, a Huff/Wilson/Millar type for 1B, and build a kick ass bullpen. 2007 pretty much rides on the back of the young starting pitchers. If we're in the hunt come July, then make the big move for the 5th starter (a pending free agent rental). I just don't want us to sign a Suppan or Lilly to go along with Bedard, Cabrera, Loewen, Benson. We'll overpay for an average starter who won't make us a winner, and block the paths of Penn, Olsen, Liz and Erbe in the process. On offense, we have players that are generally average or slightly above average at each position minus 1B and LF (assuming a healthy Gibbons at DH next year). Adding Soriano to the middle of that lineup changes that things in a big way. Opposing pitchers will have a different mindset when they have to face Roberts, Markakis, Soriano and Tejada in succession (whatever the order is). Those are tough at-bats. And slotting Gibbons, Huff?, Mora, Hernandez and Patterson down the order puts them in more fitting spots for their abilities. That's a very good lineup.

He may be the first guy they attempt to trade but to lump him with guys like Ortiz, Chavez, Hawkins, Fio, Chen, RLo and some of the others as guys most likely to definitely gone is a bit much.

So, wouldn't that make Penn one of the most likely/definitely gone?

Amen! I'd rather sign starters than sign someone not named Schmidt. 3/30 would probably get us someone like Padilla, and - I can't believe I'm saying this - I'd rather have Lopez and the extra 25 mil.

Keep all the top arms and focus on the offense. Agreed with SG about getting guys like Burrell or Ensberg, though.

Padilla $4.4mil. 1.34WHIP .405 ERA career. RLo $3.7mil. 1.41WHIP .483 ERA career. You shouldn't have to pay him $10 mil. per but even if you did your only saving about $5 mil.per and RLo is only here for another year. You want to pay at least 3/$50 mil. for Schmidt?

I think this talk about Olsen in the starting 5 next spring is telling....I just don't know what it says. It can't be taken as a ringing endorsement of Penn. Does it mean Cabrera might be dealt? Benson? Personally, I think we're in a good situation having Bedard, Loewen and Cabrera. All have the ability to emerge as a #1 or #2 starter (Bedard is already there). I'd rather see us upgrade Benson, and leave the 5th starter for Penn, Olsen or other homegrown type or spring invitee. Only problem is, there's really nobody in the free agent starter category that is a significant upgrade over Benson.

BigBird's guy said that Olson would get a look. I think even the most optimistic would be surprised if he started the year in the rotation.

I'd get Schmidt for 3 years/35 million. I wouldn't commit more years than that for him, but I'd go more on the money. I'd love to put a #1 at the top of the rotation.

Somehow, I still see someone coming in and giving him more than this, though. I could definitely see someone offering a 4/55 deal for him.

Schmidt makes $10.5mil. now He's going to want and get a lot more per year from the Yankees or the Mets or the Red Sox. Probably at least $13mil. per. What will we have to offer to get him to not pitch for a contender.

Schmidt makes $10.5mil. now He's going to want and get a lot more per year from the Yankees or the Mets or the Red Sox. Probably at least $13mil. per. What will we have to offer to get him to not pitch for a contender.

Doesn't matter if we're not gonna pay more than 10 a year.

Based on this info and Peter's terrible assessment of how much a starter should get, is there even any point in mentioning Schmidt or Zito anymore?

Doesn't matter if we're not gonna pay more than 10 a year.

Based on this info and Peter's terrible assessment of how much a starter should get, is there even any point in mentioning Schmidt or Zito anymore?

It seem like a lot of people think we can just go get him like he's dying to come here when realistically he will require at least $15 mil. for 3 years and PA is right not to pay that.

Archived