Law now has us with Correa

On MLB Tonight they were talking about Correa and Leiter said that he was not a power hitter and projected to be a .280-.290 hitter who would pop you 15 HR.

I was under the impression he had more power than that. Did Al get a bad scouting report or are some scouts not sold on his power developing?

On MLB Tonight they were talking about Correa and Leiter said that he was not a power hitter and projected to be a .280-.290 hitter who would pop you 15 HR.

I was under the impression he had more power than that. Did Al get a bad scouting report or are some scouts not sold on his power developing?

I will take the O's scouts over whomever is giving Al Leiter his info on MLB Tonight.

How could you not want Correa???

High school middle infielders who have the tools to stay at shortstop long term aren't always easy to find. That's a big reason why Correa is so high on Draft lists at this point.

Defensively, Correa is above average across the board -- range, arm and actions -- leaving no question about his ability to stay at short. He can swing the bat, too, with the potential to be an above-average hitter with outstanding power. He's a solid baserunner who is better underway and has off-the-charts work ethic and baseball instincts.

Correa's swing can get a little long at times and he will occasionally get out of his game plan at the plate. But that's just nitpicking and the only thing that could keep Correa from being the highest draftee from the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy is his commitment to Miami.

Correa or Gausman, can't go wrong either way. A stud young position player or a top college arm who has pitched in the nations best conference. I'd lean slightly towards Gausman only because he's pitched 2 years of college, but i'm happy either way.

How could you not want Correa???

Because Mayo is the only person I've read who thinks he can stick at short?

I wouldn't say that's a huge barrier for me personally but if you're basing your knowledge off MLB.com capsule reviews you're not doing it right.

I'm down with Correa. Keep drafting shortstops and figure out where to play 'em later.

He's going to 3rd, probably before his first pro AB, but a good power hitting 3B is hard to find these days, so it's just as valuable as a SS.

It seems like looking at past drafts their is always a few players taken out of the top 5 or even top 15 that become steals of the draft.

2009 had Trout was taken in 25th Shelby Miller 19.

2008 had Lawrie at 16,

2007 had Bumgarner at 10, Heyward at 14.

2006 had Kershaw at 7, and Lincecum at 10.

Most were HS players who panned out, and alot of HS were taken before them that didn't work out. Is it just good work ethic with good coaching along the way, and alot of luck that these guys end up working out and becoming stars where others fade into "what might of been" or were their scouting department seeing something special that other teams missed or a combination of both?

Law's 6/1 Update:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2012/story/_/id/7995717/houston-astros-mark-appel-byron-buxton-lucas-giolito-carlos-correa-kevin-gausman-no-1-pick-latest-mock-draft-mlb

Kevin Gausman, RHP, LSU

The Orioles are still wide-open and apparently haven't settled on a player yet, but there was a lot of chatter on Thursday that they'd narrowed in on Gausman. If Gausman is gone (say, Appel-Gausman-Buxton go 1-2-3), they could pick Kyle Zimmer or Correa.

I'd note that he still says Houston and Minnesota would consider Gausman. Seattle, who he predicts will take Zunino, is also rumored to be interested in Correa.

Bump. Houston GM sure sounds like they consider Carlos Correa a SS now and at the ML level. Things can change but you won't see him moved to 3B anytime soon.

Yeah much more talk lately that teams will take the Machado approach with him, but he's going to bulk up real quick. I think he'll end up closer to 6'5 220.

Archived