Jorge Soler finally available

Icterus galbula

Yea, I was struggling understanding it as I was typing...sorry. I mean when Chen's 3 year contract with the O's is up he can sign with any team he wants, assuming he follows the normal process of filing for free agency. Also assuming we do not re-sign him before the end of his 3rd year (he will be 29 and if still going strong, I hope we would be willing to give him another 3 years, assuming he is not showing any precipitous decline).

But the question is why is Soler under team control for 6 years but Wada and Chen are not?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, I was struggling understanding it as I was typing...sorry. I mean when Chen's 3 year contract with the O's is up he can sign with any team he wants, assuming he follows the normal process of filing for free agency. Also assuming we do not re-sign him before the end of his 3rd year (he will be 29 and if still going strong, I hope we would be willing to give him another 3 years, assuming he is not showing any precipitous decline).

I was of the impression that he has a fourth year 4.5 million dollar team option.

But the question is why is Soler under team control for 6 years but Wada and Chen are not?
Right, I am curious as well, as to what makes Soler's situation different.

Wada and Chen have it in written in their contracts that they will be MLB free agents at the end on the deal.

30 mil is way too rich for my blood on this. No problem w the O's decision not to come anywhere near that number.

Spread out over 9 years? I wouldn't have had a problem with this at all.

For a 20 year old kid? That's 3x what Strasburg and Harper got. I know circumstances are different, but that's a fairly big risk, that you don't get ANY ML production out of that contract.

Exactly, it potentially buys out all of his arbitration years.

For a 20 year old kid? That's 3x what Strasburg and Harper got. I know circumstances are different, but that's a fairly big risk, that you don't get ANY ML production out of that contract.

See above. What kinda numbers do you think Harper is going to get in arbitration?

I was of the impression that he has a fourth year 4.5 million dollar team option.

Hard to tell from Cot's ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dDBGTWxhMWJyanJxOXpaWTkyTms1RFE&output=html ), but if that is your impression, I am sure it is more than an impression and most likely accurate. So we would have him through his age 30 year, that is incredible, what a steal if he stays healthy and is able to maintain close to his current performance.

Compared to a long term contract with an already great player when it is a given that A-Rod or Pujols will be completely worthless.in their final season worth 20+ million, I would prefer the risk of no production for 30 million spread over nine years. If he is a 1 WAR player (worse than an average starter) over years 3-9 of the contract he easily outperforms its value. If he is half the player that the scouts think he will be, this contract will be compared to Longoria's in five years.

First round picks that get a 4-7 million dollar bonus and take three years to reach the majors can easily exceed 30 million over their six cost-controlled years. If Soler reaches the Majors faster than the average first round pick, the Cubs get essentially a free season out of him.

Exactly, it potentially buys out all of his arbitration years.

See above. What kinda numbers do you think Harper is going to get in arbitration?

Whatever he earns under the CBA. This kid is getting guaranteed money that he regardless of whether he earns it or not.

By the time the O's pay Jones 30 million dollars he'll have given them, depending on how which WAR numbers you use, and giving mid-range projections for the rest of this season and next, in the neighborhood of 20 wins.

Archived