Sun: Players want free agent help

FellsPointOsFan

Vlad didn't want to play here so that is a moot point. I agree we should of pulled the trigger on DLee. And 4 years shouldn't of been a problem. He was young enough that it would of been a good gamble.

Ow, ow, ow! As an editor, I'm pained by this paragraph!

Should have pulled the trigger. Shouldn't have been a problem. Would have been a good gamble.

Sorry. We now return to our regularly scheduled message board. :P

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vlad didn't want to play here so that is a moot point. I agree we should of pulled the trigger on DLee. And 4 years shouldn't of been a problem. He was young enough that it would of been a good gamble..

Vlad didn't want to play here at a discount rate. Very early in the negotiations his agents countered with a 6/90 offer. Therefore, he would've played here for that amount. He will make more money with Anaheim when they pick up his 15 million option in 2009- bringing the total value of the contract to 85 mil which is more than our 78 million.

Vlad's contract started with his age 28 season. That is a HUGE difference. 6 year deal begining at age 28. Same with Tejada. Would you give Tejada 6 years at upwards of $16m a year if he were a FA this offseason?

You need to replace MIGHT with MOST LIKELY WILL. If you are playing blackjack and are sitting with an 19 do you hit because you MIGHT draw a 2 card? I'm sure you wouldn't as it is not a good gamble. It's not quite as extreme but the principal applies... 6 years at that much money is a bad gamble for a team w/o an unlimited budget...

Gesch, you are the king of false analogies ! :D

As to saving money w/Bedard and Roberts as a result of drastically overpaying for Soriano... That is a ridiculous notion. They aren't going to take less because we paid Soriano too much. The opposite is true, if Soriano is getting paid for $16m and doesn't match his career year and is instead performing at the level his career indicates he will that will only make for example Roberts agent to ask for even more... ...

If you don't improve this club you have ZERO chance of resigning Bedard and Roberts anyway

Spending money wisely can help you make money. Spending money unwisely can cost you dearly. I'm one that thinks spending money wisely is better for the future of the franchise than spending money unwisely would be. I want to see the team make shrewd decisions not stupid ones to appease are (rightfully) restless fan base....

Don't look now, but this team doesn't have 5 more years to wait to build the "right" way. You can use FA to help your team too. Who knew ?:eek:

The age is a monumental difference that cannot be taken as lightly. I happen to disagree with you about him being the type of player that will age well. I believe the kind of players that age the best are hitters with patience. I don't think free swingers age nearly as well. But maybe I'm wrong. Do you have any examples of free swinging, nimble/wirey players who have aged well as comparables to base your opinions on about how Soriano will age?....

Careful Gesch, that sounds like some of the "reasoning" that came out of the warehouse regarding Vlad and his supposed "violent swing" that was a precursor to impending doom

I understand the desire for Soriano. Looking at his performance this year and envisioning how much his .900 OPS bat could add to our lineup which desparately needs a big bat. I get it.

When you get past the flash of his career year and 40/40 you have to realize that while he's a very good player he's not a great player. When you look at his career combined w/his age it's much more realistic to pencil in an .820 OPS than it is a .900 OPS.

I want the team to spend money this offseason, I want them to improve. Signing Soriano to a ridiculous contract is better than doing absolutely nothing but there are many, many, many better options if the FO is creative. It's certainly not the best choice if building a long term contender is the goal unless the budget is going well over $100m for payroll and we can afford to carry an albatross contract or two. Unfortunately while the amount is a lot easier to work around we may just have one already in Melvin Mora's contract.

I get it. You think we should sit around and wait for the perfect signing. I don't think we have that luxury anymore. Imagine if we would have signed Vlad when we had the chance..... The FO was consumed with worry about his back injury and "violent swing." Imagine if they were consumed with getting him to sign on the dotted line.

Vlad didn't want to play here at a discount rate. Very early in the negotiations his agents countered with a 6/90 offer. Therefore, he would've played here for that amount. He will make more money with Anaheim when they pick up his 15 million option in 2009- bringing the total value of the contract to 85 mil which is more than our 78 million.

Maybe he'd of grudgingly signed if we threw enough money at him but if we take him and his representatives at his word Baltimore was not where he wanted play. I see no reason not to take them at their word

Gesch, you are the king of false analogies ! :D

Maybe it was a bit extreme, however I don't think it's unfair to say that signing Soriano to a 6 year contract at upwards of $16m a year is an extremly risky gamble. It may not be hitting on 19 in blackjack risky but it isn't a good gamble either.

If you don't improve this club you have ZERO chance of resigning Bedard and Roberts anyway

There are numerous ways to go about improving the team in ways that aren't anywhere near as risky as taking on a bad contract. I'd rather see the team make another run at Burrell whom would give you just as much offense if not more and won't be a complete disaster for the team in 2010 and beyond.

Don't look now, but this team doesn't have 5 more years to wait to build the "right" way. You can use FA to help your team too. Who knew ?:eek:

It won't take 5 more years. However if you get yourself stuck with a bad contract it means a lot of money is tied up that could of been used to get better.

Careful Gesch, that sounds like some of the "reasoning" that came out of the warehouse regarding Vlad and his supposed "violent swing" that was a precursor to impending doom

The worry about Vlad was violent swing and his previous back issues. That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that guys who aren't patient at the plate don't age as well as those that will swing at anything and everything. As you lose bat speed as everyone does as they age I think the decline will happen quicker for someone who is a free swinger compared to someone who is patient. But I may be wrong, but when I think back at hitters who aged well I think of patient hitters.

I get it. You think we should sit around and wait for the perfect signing. I don't think we have that luxury anymore. Imagine if we would have signed Vlad when we had the chance..... The FO was consumed with worry about his back injury and "violent swing." Imagine if they were consumed with getting him to sign on the dotted line.

No, not at all. I was fine with going after Vlad and would of been happy if they were more agressive. Although in fairness I did have some worries about his back. Having had back problems in the past I know it is a metter of when not if that problems will return. I was fine w/going after Tejada. I would be fine with paying big bucks for someone like Armanis Ramirez if he becomes a free agent. Signing someone like that to a long term deal makes much, much, much more sense than going 6/16 or higher for Soriano. All I'm saying is take smart risks, not stupid risks and the results will be much better.

Archived