Tough to listen to

warrior21

Manfra is horrendous at actually describing what's happening on the field. He tries to cram way too much information into every sentence, and as a result it takes him about 5 minutes to describe a 5-second play. He does this over and over again, and it's incredibly frustrating to a listener who's trying to figure out what's happening in the game.

The way an announcer should describe a play: "And here's the 3-2 pitch to Cano. Swing, and a grounder to short. Hardy fields and makes the throw to first for the final out." (crowd cheers)

How Manfra describes it: "And the 3-2 delivery upcoming from the tall right-hander from eastern Michigan, to the Yankees' left-handed swinging second baseman...and... (crowd cheers, because the play is already over) ...it's...a...ground ball to the shortstop J.J. Hardy, and...(pause)... on an easy hop, to his glove side left, J.J.... (pause)... makes the casual throw across the diamond."

You hear the crowd cheering a long time before Manfra finishes explaining what actually happened on the play. So you know that something has happened, but you have to wait for Manfra to finish his stream of consciousness ramblings before you can caught up.

This is hilarious, because it is so absolutely true.

I actually like Manfra. I think he has a good voice for the game, is a really nice guy, and like Angel it's clear that he's rooting for the O's without being obnoxious about it. But your example above is spot on.

I should also add that, occassionally (not often, but occasionally), he never does actually let you know what happened. Especially if a ball is hit to the outfield - sometimes he doesn't specifiy if it dropped in for a base hit or not. You have to figure it out.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Admiral of USS Good Ship Lollipop.

I don't understand the Manfra hate, myself. He's definitely not on Angel's level but I don't get why he's bad. I know, I know, every so often he gets excited over a shallow pop fly that he thinks is a homer, but get over it. It's not that bad.

I like Manfra for the most part, but these kind of descriptions get under my skin a bit. "There's a fly ball to right field, out towards the Esskay sign, Markakis goes back (crowd cheers as the ball was obviously caught), he circles under it, pats the glove, and makes the catch just short of the warning track."

I just think radio announcers should be short to the point on plays and have to keep up with the action. The crowd should not be telling me what happened. Other than that though, he and Manfra are a good pair.

(Edit: I should have read the whole thread because of course, Paul explained it much better than me).

I like Manfra for the most part, but these kind of descriptions get under my skin a bit. "There's a fly ball to right field, out towards the Esskay sign, Markakis goes back (crowd cheers as the ball was obviously caught), he circles under it, pats the glove, and makes the catch just short of the warning track."

I just think radio announcers should be short to the point on plays and have to keep up with the action. The crowd should not be telling me what happened. Other than that though, he and Manfra are a good pair.

Manfra's awful on PBP. Last night when Hardy made that great play at SS he simply stopped in mid-play. "There's a ground up the middle and Hardy.....(long pause, play is clearly over)......makes a great play!" Then Joe Angel has to jump in and explain what actually happened.

I actually like Manfra as the color man, because Angel keeps him engaged and knows how to include him in the discussion. But he simply can't describe what is happening on the field if it is anything that isn't routine. And then there's his inability to judge a fly ball, which I have discussed so many times I won't bother to repeat it here.

Every fringe/AAAA player that comes to the plate..."I really like this kid. I see a lot of potential for him to be a real good player. He's got a real nice swing, blah blah blah."

Dempsey has apparently learned from Hunter that if you just say you love everyone and that everyone can be the next Mickey Mantle or Nolan Ryan with a few tweaks, that you can keep you job with the Orioles for a long time. He also announces games like everyone is watching their first baseball games ever. Unfortuntaely for those of us who live in reality and for those of us who have seen a game or two in our day, he comes off as a buffoon more times than not. I don't have anything against the guy, but at the end of the day, I much rather have someone give it to me straight then someone trying to tell me Arrieta is an ace or that Davis is going to hit 60 home runs.

I don't hate Dempsey, I just think he has to know his role. Os Xtra and ambdassador to the franchise is fine. In game analyst is not.

Name an instance when Dempsey taught you something valuable.

Well he did inform me tonight that Davis is easily capable of 60 hrs! Lol

Dempsey has apparently learned from Hunter that if you just say you love everyone and that everyone can be the next Mickey Mantle or Nolan Ryan with a few tweaks, that you can keep you job with the Orioles for a long time. He also announces games like everyone is watching their first baseball games ever. Unfortuntaely for those of us who live in reality and for those of us who have seen a game or two in our day, he comes off as a buffoon more times than not. I don't have anything against the guy, but at the end of the day, I much rather have someone give it to me straight then someone trying to tell me Arrieta is an ace or that Davis is going to hit 60 home runs.

But...but...but...Dempsey said Chris Davis COULD hit 60 home runs if he'd stop rolling over his top hand! :)

That's funny that you mentioned this subject, because I was thinking the same thing last night.

I was watching both games, Nat's and O's and I was like these play by play guys and for the most part the color guys are such fanboys. You would think every guy on both rosters are All-Stars. Last nights comment that got me in a stitch, was "they have to respect Robert's speed at first because he is such a threat to run". Really a threat to steal a base after being out so long? you would think Roberts was Ricky Henderson or something last night. It went on and on about Roberts disrupting the flow of the game for the pitcher etc, I don't know kind of over the top. I do like P.F. Santangelo (Nat's Color Guy), he does have some good insight generally speaking. PF seems more insightful than Bordick right now.

I don't mind Manfra. I hate Hunter. He's just such a homer. He's got an OK voice and is smooth, but he's hard to take. It's just uncomfortable listening to Dempsey. At times he makes OK points, but mostly horrible points. And while he's a huge homer, he doesn't come off horrible in that regard. He just sounds odd.

I like Mike Bordick, too. Not great, but he'll get better. And of course I love Thorne and Palmer.

I like Jim Hunter. There, I said it.

I think people are pretty hard on him for his homerism, but...it's just baseball. I have an expectation for hometown-biased announcers. Aside from that, he calls a good game, is clear and concise.

I'd actually prefer Jim Hunter and Joe Angel to Fred Manfra and Joe Angel.

I've always called Jim Hunter the Fleet Admiral of the Good Ship Lollipop. Dempsey actually tries to go further over the top than that. I know he's beloved because of the '83 series and acting like a buffoon during rain delays. To me now, he'll always be the guy who would run to Angelos and badmouth or backstab anyone in order to get ahead. Yeah, that's a very unpopular opinion, but I'll always tell you exactly what I'm thinking. Here's a suggestion for MASN, have Rick drink a few coffees or 5 hour energy drinks and sober him up before his broadcasts.

ETA

Admiral of USS Good Ship Lollipop.

I don't understand the Manfra hate, myself. He's definitely not on Angel's level but I don't get why he's bad. I know, I know, every so often he gets excited over a shallow pop fly that he thinks is a homer, but get over it. It's not that bad.

I guess I should have copyrighted that "Admiral" line :D From 2008:

Goood morning, crew members of the SS Good Ship Lollipop. On behalf of Fleet Admiral Jim Hunter, it is my pleasure once again to welcome you on the 11th annual offseason cruise. We'll make our usual stops at Big Promise Land, and Name Drop City before returning to our home port of Baltimore. Tonight, in the Angelos Ampitheater, we'll be showing a double feature, "The X Files, I Want to Believe," and "Damn Yankees." Yes, sir, there's something there to please everyone. The usual refreshments will be served, popcorn, sugar gum drops, and of course, no movie experience would be complete without a large cup of ice-cold orange koolaid to wash it all down.

Who said anything about alcoholism?

I just said that he sounds like he's drunk... because, well, he sounds like he's drunk when he talks. He slurs. I'm pretty sure that doesn't make him an alcoholic.

Anyway, I apologize if I offended you. That certainly was not my intention.

Im sorry, Im pretty sure I miss understood your posts. I thought you were calling him essentially 'A drunk'. I assumed that being drunk at work everyday denoted alcoholism but i was off.

Again, I am not offended in the least. I just don't know if this was the right setting. Fair enough?

Archived