Worst owner in sports?

ravens56

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who's worse than him? I am waiting for an answer.

I am no Angelos defender, but Donald Sterling is the worst and not even close. Not only for the years of completely inept Los Angeles Clippers performance with no money invested at all for decades, but also for the added value of the owner being the type of individual described below....Angelos has without debate been a poor owner for the Orioles, but Peter Angelos has done much undisputed good in his professional life and career in Baltimore with nothing like this:

"In November 2005, ESPN reported that Donald Sterling agreed to pay a fine of $2.73 million to settle claims brought by the Justice Department that he enagegd in disciminatory rental practices against Hispanics, blacks, and families with children. [3]. In addition, Sterling was also ordered to pay attorneys' fees and costs in that action of $4,923,554.75. Order Granting Motion for Prevailing Party's Attorneys' Fees and Costs, dated November 2, 2005, C.D. Cal. Case No. 2:03-cv-00859-DSF-E Dkt No. 454. In granting the attorney's fees and costs Judge Dale S. Fischer noted "[sterling's]'scorched earth' litigation tactics, some of which are described by the Plaintiffs' counsel and some of which were observed by the Court. The Court has no dificulty accepting Plaintiffs' counsel's representations that the time required to be spent on this case was increased by defendant's counsel's often unacceptable, and sometimes outrageous conduct." [id. at p. 5]

In February 2009, Sterling was sued by former longtime Clippers executive Elgin Baylor for employment discrimination on the basis of age and race.[3] The lawsuit alleges Sterling told Baylor that he wanted to fill his team with "poor black boys from the South and a white head coach".[4] The suit alleges that during negotiations for Danny Manning, Sterling said "I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid."[4][5] The suit noted those comments while alleging "the Caucasian head coach was given a four-year, $22-million contract", but Baylor's salary had "been frozen at a comparatively paltry $350,000 since 2003".[3]

On August 8, 2009, the U.S. Department of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination in using race as a factor in filling some of his apartment buildings. The government's ongoing case alleges Sterling refused to rent to non-Koreans in the Koreatown neighborhood and to African Americans in Beverly Hills. The suit alleges Sterling once said he did not like to rent to Hispanics because they "smoke, drink and just hang around the building," and that "Black tenants smell and attract vermin." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sterling

And, in terms of past Baltimore owners, Robert Irsay was by far much, much, much, much more inept and nefarious than Peter Angelos.

Yea, you don't have an agenda at all, putting this thread in Orioles talk and all ...
Like who? please only list current owners btw.
Who's worse than him? I am waiting for an answer.

Why didn't you just come right out and say Peter Angelos in your OP instead of (not so subtly) tucking it in the Orioles Talk section and doing (a very bad) coy acting job about it ???

Donald Sterling, Jeffrey Loria

I'd say Sterling as a person is the worst owner but the Clippers in the NBA are regularly better than the Os in the MLB in performance it seems to me. But that's just the gut talking.

As for Loria, the Marlins are almost always better than the O's.

And the Marlins new stadium is the equivent of Angelos getting his 87 or 86% of MASN (I know it drops one point a year). Only difference is the Marlins at least gave the appearance they were willing to spend after said stadium. If only for one offseason and they're dumping now.

We didn't even get that fortunate with our blessed owner.

I'd say Sterling as a person is the worst owner but the Clippers in the NBA are regularly better than the Os in the MLB in performance it seems to me. But that's just the gut talking.

And the Marlins new stadium is the equivent of Angelos getting his 87 or 86% of MASN (I know it drops one point a year). Only difference is the Marlins at least gave the appearance they were willing to spend after said stadium. If only for one offseason and they're dumping now.

Only if the DC Taxpayers had to pay for MASN.

You had better take another look with your gut. In the 30 years Sterling has owned the Clippers, they have five playoff appearances and the best they have been in the standings is 5th for the first time last year. If the NBA let as few teams into the playoffs as MLB did before this season, the Clips would have never made the playoffs.

Only if the DC Taxpayers had to pay for MASN.

Oh I agree with that point. And it was obvious to everyone in SoFla how big a waste of time that stadium was. Nobody cared about the Marlins down here before that stadium. One or two levels above nobody cares abou them now.

It was a grand con.

But to that point while the taxpayers may have paid for the Marlins stadium. Just about every cable TV viewer between Harrisburg and Charlotte is paying their Angelos tax every month to Comcast and other similar providers and they didn't get to vote on that.

The Clippers have never won league, Conference, or Division titles in their 40-year history. Overall, their winning percentage through the years is .363, with 1227 wins and 2150 losses.

That is the problem with letting the gut perform functions it is not designed to do.

Archived