Cal Ripken: "Beltre the best third baseman he's ever seen. Sorry Brooksie."

CA-ORIOLE

Cal has been almost anti-Oriole during all of these broadcasts so far. I texted my friend last night after they were all making fun of "Maverick" Wieters, and I said, "These announcers are awful, including Cal." Not sure if it was just the Brooksie thing that has me riled up or what, but I just have not enjoyed Cal in the booth at all.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cal has been almost anti-Oriole during all of these broadcasts so far. I texted my friend last night after they were all making fun of "Maverick" Wieters, and I said, "These announcers are awful, including Cal." Not sure if it was just the Brooksie thing that has me riled up or what, but I just have not enjoyed Cal in the booth at all.

When they were talking about the Wieters' name choice for their first born child, that really got me pissed off. First off, it wasn't necessary to bring that up at all; a simple congrats to the Wieters would have been fine. Second, who are they to judge someone's name choice for their child? Last I checked that's none of their business.

Maybe it's the dad in me coming out, but that really irritated me when they did that.

When they were talking about the Wieters' name choice for their first born child, that really got me pissed off. First off, it wasn't necessary to bring that up at all; a simple congrats to the Wieters would have been fine. Second, who are they to judge someone's name choice for their child? Last I checked that's none of their business.

Maybe it's the dad in me coming out, but that really irritated me when they did that.

Me too. Absolutely disgusting.

These "national" broadcasts make me miss Thorne and Palmer even more!

What was said about Maverick?

What was said about Maverick?

The main announcer, Ernie Johnson, stated that Matt was a father of a new born. Then he had to add, "Now would you like to know the name the Wieter's picked out? Would you name your son Maverick?" Cal or Smoltz then chimed in. "I don't think so" Followed by, "Its a manly name that's for sure."

Maybe as time goes by that will change, but for an Orioles legend to dismiss another Orioles legend when the numbers don't even back up what he said was truly disappointing.

Again, the more advanced stats like UZR/DRS says Beltre was as good or better than Brooks' TZ rating. Beltre's more advanced metrics says he's twice as good as TZ says he has been. A lot of variables here but there are some supportable stats to say Beltre may have been as good or better.

Palmer manages to commentate in a manner that is still objective despite him clearly rooting for the Orioles. If the Orioles do something stupid, he'll be the first to call them on it. But there's no doubt that he's hoping that the Orioles win.

Nobody would blame Cal if he said he hoped the Orioles would win.

Palmer manages to commentate in a manner that is still objective despite him clearly rooting for the Orioles. If the Orioles do something stupid, he'll be the first to call them on it. But there's no doubt that he's hoping that the Orioles win.

Everyone could take a lesson in broadcasting from Jim Palmer.

I wish I had a dime for every post accusing Palmer of slobbering over the Yankees.

After Friday, I defended Cal on here saying he was just overreacting to come off as unbiased. Yes I heard the "catch it" and that's great, but after last night I am utterly %$#ing disgusted. I could not believe the praise he just continued to heap on the MFYs in the 9th. Why kick us when we're down? I'm going to stop before I get too incensed.

Again, the more advanced stats like UZR/DRS says Beltre was as good or better than Brooks' TZ rating. Beltre's more advanced metrics says he's twice as good as TZ says he has been. A lot of variables here but there are some supportable stats to say Beltre may have been as good or better.

Go off what you like, but Brooks' fielding percentage, errors, dWar, and gold gloves won all outshine Beltre. Now I know I added in the gold gloves and yes I know they are clearly not a good metric, but they do show the general consensus around baseball for each player. Beltre has three gold gloves in 15 years while Brooks had 16 straight. If Beltre was the best ever, as Cal stated, the managers and coaches around the league apparently have disagreed over most of his career.

Even if there is...

If see a woman I think is hotter than my wife...is it a good idea to alert everyone (my wife included) of my opinion?

So what are you saying...you want to sleep with Brooks Robinson?

Poor comparison. One is the person you chose to spend the rest of your life with. The other is a ballplayer half of us were lucky to see play and probably have spent little to no time with (other than Roy).

Go off what you like, but Brooks' fielding percentage, errors, dWar, and gold gloves won all outshine Beltre. Now I know I added in the gold gloves and yes I know they are clearly not a good metric, but they do show the general consensus around baseball for each player. Beltre has three gold gloves in 15 years while Brooks had 16 straight. If Beltre was the best ever, as Cal stated, the managers and coaches around the league apparently have disagreed over most of his career.
Since Fielding Bible's Defensive Rus Saved is based on data that only goes back to 2002, I don't see how it would be relevent in drawing any comparisons between the two. I sent the question to Bill James on his site. Hopefully he will respond........ without snark this time.

I think you need to broadcast differently for a local vs. a national audience, though. Also, how many games has Cal actually broadcast in his life? Less than 10?

I just don't understand why Cal is assigned to the games, if TBS wanted an unbiased opinion. Smoltz didn't do the Braves game. Also, why do you have to be totally unbiased, in the national spotlight? It doesn't stop Gammons drooling over the Red Sox, or Haymen going gaga for the Yankees.

Archived