Who is Mr. Oriole to you?

Tony-OH

Who is Mr. Oriole?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Mr. Oriole?

This poll is closed to new votes

45 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I was at this game (my late mother's birthday.)

September 28th, 2007: ) The Yankees led us 9-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. They brought in Mariano Rivera in. Game over, right ??? Wrong !!!

We loaded the bases with 2 outs. It looked like curtains, except ......... Jay Payton drilled a bases-clearing triple into the gap in right-centerfield to tie the game !!! ) :eek:

A lot of Yankee fans that were sitting near me were angrily screaming "choke" at their beloved team. ) xD

In the top of the 10th the Yanks hit a lead-off double, and it looked like our storybook ending would go down in flames. Not on this night. We managed to get out of the inning without being scored upon.

In the bottom of the 10th, we again had the bases loaded and 2 outs. On the first pitch Melvin Mora laid down a bunt, taking the Yankees by surprise. Tike Redman raced home, and the Orioles all mobbed each other on the field.

With that win, the Orioles eliminated the Yankees from the A.L. East division title. They still got the wild-card ...... but good enough. ) ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200709280.shtml

o

Wow.   Tike Redman.   There is an extremely forgettable Oriole.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I was at this game (my late mother's birthday.)

September 28th, 2007: ) The Yankees led us 9-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. They brought in Mariano Rivera in. Game over, right ??? Wrong !!!

We loaded the bases with 2 outs. It looked like curtains, except ......... Jay Payton drilled a bases-clearing triple into the gap in right-centerfield to tie the game !!! ) :eek:

A lot of Yankee fans that were sitting near me were angrily screaming "choke" at their beloved team. ) xD

In the top of the 10th the Yanks hit a lead-off double, and it looked like our storybook ending would go down in flames. Not on this night. We managed to get out of the inning without being scored upon.

In the bottom of the 10th, we again had the bases loaded and 2 outs. On the first pitch Melvin Mora laid down a bunt, taking the Yankees by surprise. Tike Redman raced home, and the Orioles all mobbed each other on the field.

With that win, the Orioles eliminated the Yankees from the A.L. East division title. They still got the wild-card ...... but good enough. ) ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200709280.shtml

o

Wow.  A walk-off bunt.  I wonder how many of those there have been?

20 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Wow.  A walk-off bunt.  I wonder how many of those there have been?

I seem to remember one by Jerry Hairston knocking in Brian Roberts, and one by Roberts knocking in Hairston.  But I may be making that up at least partially.  

Here’s one from Adam Jones:  

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I seem to remember one by Jerry Hairston knocking in Brian Roberts, and one by Roberts knocking in Hairston.  But I may be making that up at least partially.  

Here’s one from Adam Jones:  

My man Felix Pie celebrating in the clip above....good times.  I don't know why, but I loved that guy.

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Wow. Tike Redman. There is an extremely forgettable Oriole.

o

Redman and Kam Mickolio were the only ones who took the time to give me their autograph at Durham Bulls Stadium in 2008.

Little things like that go a long way with me.

o

56 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Redman and Kam Mickolio were the only ones who took the time to give me their autograph at Durham Bulls Stadium in 2008.

Little things like that go a long way with me.

Ah Kam Mickolio. One of the other pieces from the Bedard trade. Too bad he didn't work out. But he did make the majors which is something he'll always have.

o

I think Palmer's got a really interesting case to be Mr. Oriole.

Was on all 3 World Series winners.  Bridges the gap between Brooks and Frank to Eddie and Cal.  Has a lot of hardware.  Broadcasting (I know Brooks used to broadcast, too).  

Yeah, he doesn't give the warm and fuzzies that Brooks does and he's full of himself (I'm starting a new Palmer Quotables thread this year, for sure) but I don't think he's an all out jerk by any stretch.  

Brooks is Mr. Oriole, I believe.  But I might even put Palmer ahead of Cal.  And I grew up worshipping Cal.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Was on all 3 World Series winners.  Bridges the gap between Brooks and Frank to Eddie and Cal.  Has a lot of hardware.  Broadcasting (I know Brooks used to broadcast, too).  

Yeah, he doesn't give the warm and fuzzies that Brooks does and he's full of himself (I'm starting a new Palmer Quotables thread this year, for sure) but I don't think he's an all out jerk by any stretch.  

Brooks is Mr. Oriole, I believe.  But I might even put Palmer ahead of Cal.  And I grew up worshipping Cal.

Palmer's ahead of Cal on my list. And so is Eddie, but I'm probably in the minority on that point. Say what you will about Palmer, but at least he's genuine. 

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He’s a Hall of Famer who knows he belongs. I think Jim is confident of his achievements. Anyhow definitely a good guy. As someone on the spectrum, I greatly admire how he is to his stepson. And I agree there’s a good case for Palmer over Cal at this point. Cal was my childhood hero but Palmer is a man of the franchise all the way. I still like Cal but Palmer even if I never saw him throw a pitch is an Orioles lifer in a way Cal hasn’t been though Cal was literally born into it.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:43 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Maybe Jim Palmer.

In addition to having had a very long and extremely distinguished Orioles career as a player, the guy has been one of the best color commentators that I have seen/heard in my many years of watching sports ........ and part of my admiration for Palmer as a color commentator is his willingness to necessarily rip into the Orioles if he deems it appropriate.

o

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Was on all 3 World Series winners. Bridges the gap between Brooks and Frank to Eddie and Cal. Has a lot of hardware.  Broadcasting (I know Brooks used to broadcast, too).  

Brooks is Mr. Oriole, I believe. But I might even put Palmer ahead of Cal.  And I grew up worshipping Cal.

o

I think that Palmer's most significant gap-bridge is that of from Cuellar/McNally and to Flanagan/McGregor.

He has 2 additional significant distinctions, in addition to the one that you mentioned ........

1) ) When he was only 20 years-old (9 days short of his 21st birthday), he set a record which still holds to this day ........ the youngest pitcher ever to throw a Complete Game-Shutout in a World Series game (October of 1966, against the Dodgers.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN196610060.shtml

2) ) He is the only pitcher ever to have won at least 1 World Series game in 3 different decades (1966, 1970, 1971, and 1983.)

https://www.infoplease.com/askeds/only-pitcher-win-world-series-game-three-different-decades

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

I think that Palmer's most significant gap-bridge is that of from Cuellar/McNally and to Flanagan/McGregor.

He has 2 additional significant distinctions, in addition to the one that you mentioned ........

1) ) When he was only 20 years-old (9 days short of his 21st birthday), he set a record which still holds to this day ........ the youngest pitcher ever to throw a Complete Game-Shutout in a World Series game (October of 1966, against the Dodgers.)

2) ) He is the only pitcher ever to have won at least 1 World Series game in 3 different decades (1966, 1970, 1971, and 1983.)

https://www.infoplease.com/askeds/only-pitcher-win-world-series-game-three-different-decades

o

So he couldn't legally drink any of the celebratory champagne.  :)

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

28 minutes ago, Number5 said:

So, he couldn't legally drink any of the celebratory champagne. )  :)

o

Yes, he could have if had wanted to.

In 1966, the Federal Law in regard to the age for legalized purchasing and consuming alcoholic beverages was 18.

It wasn't until 1984 through 1986 in which the age was increased to 21, by one-year increments (19 in 1984, 20 in 1985, and 21 in 1986.)

o

7 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

In 1966, the Federal Law in regard to the age for legalized purchasing and consuming alcoholic beverages was 18.

It wasn't until 1984 through 1986 in which the age was increased to 21, by one-year increments (19 in 1984, 20 in 1985, and 21 in 1986.)

o

At that time, the drinking age was set by each state, not the federal government.  If it is a federal law now, I was unaware of it.  I can tell you as an absolute fact from personal experience that the drinking age in both Maryland and Illinois was 21 in 1971 and before.  DC had a drinking age of 18 while I was in high school, and we went down there to drink a few times when I was a senior in high school.  In Illinois, while I was there in school, the drinking age was lowered to 19 in 1972 or 1973.  We drove up to Wisconsin, where they had a legal age of 18, to drink legally prior to the lowering of the legal age in Illinois.  I recall that in Ohio at that time, you could drink 3.2 beer at 18, but had to be 21 for everything else.  I know you are from New York, and the age in New York at that time may well have been 18, but it definitely was not 18 throughout the country.

In 1971, the voting age in America was lowered from 21 to 18.  A major reason for this was the outcry that "If I'm old enough to fight for my country, I'm old enough to vote." in conjunction with the Viet Nam War.  I believe that the lowering of the drinking age in many states around the country in the early 70's had to do with the Viet Nam conflict and lowing of the voting age.  The protests were that "If I'm old enough to fight for my country, and to vote, I'm old enough to drink." 

54 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

19 minutes ago, Number5 said:

At that time, the drinking age was set by each state, not the federal government.  If it is a federal law now, I was unaware of it.  I can tell you as an absolute fact from personal experience that the drinking age in both Maryland and Illinois was 21 in 1971 and before.  DC had a drinking age of 18 while I was in high school, and we went down there to drink a few times when I was a senior in high school.  In Illinois, while I was there in school, the drinking age was lowered to 19 in 1972 or 1973.  We drove up to Wisconsin, where they had a legal age of 18, to drink legally prior to the lowering of the legal age in Illinois.  I recall that in Ohio at that time, you could drink 3.2 beer at 18, but had to be 21 for everything else.  I know you are from New York, and the age in New York at that time may well have been 18, but it definitely was not 18 throughout the country.

In 1971, the voting age in America was lowered from 21 to 18.  A major reason for this was the outcry that "If I'm old enough to fight for my country, I'm old enough to vote." in conjunction with the Viet Nam War.  I believe that the lowering of the drinking age in many states around the country in the early 70's had to do with the Viet Nam conflict and lowing of the voting age.  The protests were that "If I'm old enough to fight for my country, and to vote, I'm old enough to drink." 

o

OK, thanks for that info.

It is a Federal law now.

https://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/the-1984-national-minimum-drinking-age-act

o

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

When I was in college (1975-79), the drinking age in Maryland and Massachusetts was 18, but the drinking age in North Carolina was 21.    I transferred from Brandeis (in Mass.) to Duke when I was 20, and went from being able to drink legally to not being able to drink legally.    I can’t say it was much of a practical impediment, though.   

Archived