Roch: O's trying to reach a deal with Reynolds

Frobby

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Argh.

And let the "Standing Pat" off-season get into full swing.

Yay. :rolleyestf:

MSK

Trade J. Johnson, Britton and Reimold for a Smoak type guy. Then sign Josh Hamilton for 5/100 for batting power and LF/DH.

We have internal options for closers.

We can also sign two TOR starters.

That would easily fix most, if not all, of the problems facing the Orioles.

BRob

Hardy

Markakis

Jones

Hamilton

Smoak

Weiters

Machado

DH

MSK

Way too much for Smoak.

Of course.

Shocking that MSK would make a comment and then not come back to explain/defend it.

This a nice way to phrase it. And I believe that he must be looking to agitate.

Yeah...its the sign that the offseason has truly begin.

Amazing how the trolls were nowhere to be found while this team was in the midst of our playoff run all summer long.

I swear there's a group that would rather us sign a FA to a stupid contract than see us win a WS.

I swear there's a group that would rather us sign a FA to a stupid contract than see us win a WS.

So much truth in this statement. They would like the World Series win, but only because it would increase the chances of the team signing a big name free agent to a stupid contract.

Amazing how the trolls were nowhere to be found while this team was in the midst of our playoff run all summer long.

Excellent point. The team wins 93 games and not one word, but we don't spend a gazillion dollars in free agency and this place blows up!

Good points, here.

What about the other guys who will inevitably get hurt along the way?

These "full season from a, b, and c player" arguments are useless because there will be another a, b, and c getting hurt next year/underperforming.

No team stays perfectly healthy over the course of 162 games, so why exactly should we be counting on that from our guys?

To make an argument to stand pat, I know.

Trade J. Johnson, Britton and Reimold for a Smoak type guy.

a) That's a crazy amount to deal for Smoak. In-freakin'-sane.

b) Smoak has a sub-.700 OPS and negative overall value

c) Reynolds' is a better player

d) This deal probably sets the O's back 4-5 wins

Then sign Josh Hamilton for 5/100 for batting power and LF/DH.

Few would have a problem with that, at least with a few risk mitigation clauses to help the O's out a bit. But it's not terribly likely that'll get the deal done.

We can also sign two TOR starters.

Who? Who are these starters? Where are they coming from? Greinke at $20M a year? Then what? Your payroll is probably approaching $140M, if you can find TOR#2 and get both Hamilton and Greinke to sign at your prices

So yea, simple solutions in an idealized world where 29 teams aren't competing against you and Peter Angelos has a nearly limitless account for the O's to draw from.

You realize that puts us at ~$140m+ payroll right? I mean, even the extremist on this board typically don't suggest a payroll more than $120m.

Ahh I love the name calling, now anyone who wants to sign ONE free agent of significance in the last 15 years and bump the payroll up to a CRAZY $120 million is an "extremist" in your eyes.

Love it.

What about the other guys who will inevitably get hurt along the way?

These "full season from a, b, and c player" arguments are useless because there will be another a, b, and c getting hurt next year/underperforming.

No team stays perfectly healthy over the course of 162 games, so why exactly should we be counting on that from our guys?

To make an argument to stand pat, I know.

Not to take away from your Peter Angelos hating, but just remember a few things...

1. This team, without Roberts, Reimold, Kakes for a bit, 4/5 of the starting rotation at times out, etc, STILL won 93 games and damn near took the AL East.

2. Double D, who in YOUR mind is "standing pat" made more moves than any other team DURING the season last year.

But go on with your bad self!

So much truth in this statement. They would like the World Series win, but only because it would increase the chances of the team signing a big name free agent to a stupid contract.
Excellent point. The team wins 93 games and not one word, but we don't spend a gazillion dollars in free agency and this place blows up!

Honestly, I do not think that it's right to trash posters who complain that Angelos is cheap and that the Orioles should spend way more money than they do. They are entitled to their opinion.

That's because us "trolls" were watching every game and spending good money on playoff tickets and flights to Baltimore.

I don't understand how criticizing the continued lack of FA participation means that someone is a troll or agitator. Why must we all believe in the small-market mythology that is bandied around as truth?

What this really comes down to is people defending a myth and lambasting anyone that doesn't follow along with that mythology as a heretic.

What's the myth? -that the Orioles can't sign a superstar FA ever because it will bankrupt the team for 75 years. Somehow, Detroit and other "small market" teams manage to spend money once in a while on a FA signing, but the Orioles are dirt-poor in this myth.

I explained yesterday why I feel that we need to spend some money this off-season and I'm not going over it again and again. And TONY-OH didn't stoop to calling me a troll:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128490-Locking-up-our-own-players-vs-spending-on-free-agents?p=2992940#post2992940

It just gets tiring to be called a "troll" for wanting the team to be successful in other ways besides trades and drafting.

MSK

Honestly, I do not think that it's right to trash posters who complain that Angelos is cheap and that the Orioles should spend way more money than they do. They are entitled to their opinion.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when its the same tired beating of the drum over and over, then people are JUST as entitled to call them out on it.

The fact is, even without emptying the checkbook for free agents that 9 times out of ten do not live up to the ridiculous contracts, we STILL were able to make the playoffs and were, as someone else said, 2 bad JJ appearances away from being in the ALCS, where worst case, we would have fared better than the $200 million team loaded with "premium talent."

Archived