Orioles have interest in Koji (update: Boston signs Koji)

oldbird

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if the O's had shut down Pedro after 58 innings his WAR would have been higher.

Probably so, but neither one has an option and 58 is still more than 36. Durability does count. Bad as it was with Strop for awhile, it might have been worse with Gregg.

Strop is a hole? Give me a bullpen full of holes like Strop.

Strop was money till he wore down late in the season.

Which Strop? The guy who pitched the first 4 months was exceptional, the guy Showalter didn't want to use in Sep and Oct was a problem. Did he wear down or did batters lay off his stuff and force him to throw strikes, which he couldn't do on a consistent basis.

Which Strop? The guy who pitched the first 4 months was exceptional, the guy Showalter didn't want to use in Sep and Oct was a problem. Did he wear down or did batters lay off his stuff and force him to throw strikes, which he couldn't do on a consistent basis.

Which Koji, the really effective pitcher or the guy on the DL?

I will gladly take Strop repeating his 2012 numbers.

It wasn't smoke and mirrors for 4 months. I'd be willing to bet he was simply worn down and a bit overused. He also seems to have trouble controlling his emotions once he falls off the tracks a little. Not a guy I'm ready to hand the closers role too, but extremely valuable nonetheless.

It wasn't smoke and mirrors for 4 months. I'd be willing to bet he was simply worn down and a bit overused. He also seems to have trouble controlling his emotions once he falls off the tracks a little. Not a guy I'm ready to hand the closers role too, but extremely valuable nonetheless.

I hope you're right.

• 8 months later...

Koji's vesting option for next season was triggered 2 days ago. No chances of signing him in 2014. With the way JJ has been pitching and the way Buck keeps running him out there I'm seriously sick to my stomach how DD didn't bring back Koji.

I have no idea if this was a financial decision, the fact the BP was strong last yr etc. but when Koji the master, highest strikeout to walk ratio in MLB history wants to come back, I would think you would find room.

Earlier on the season my friend and I were discussing how Koji would be the deciding factor of who wins the AL east. The Koji factor we called it, anyway nothing can be done to turn back the clock.

This whole situation still infuriates me. We should have signed Koji! FFS! The guy loved Baltimore and Baltimore loved him. When my dentist asks me how I managed to grind my teeth up into individual atoms, I'm going to tell him about how Baltimore failed to bring back one of the best relievers they've ever had who also happened to love it in Baltimore, and then he went on to sign with one of their arch-rivals, and then their rivals led the division for the majority of the season, while Baltimore's own closer blew game after game. If I weren't so emotionally invested, I'd laugh at the delicious karma being served in heaping stripper-cake piles.

Archived