Mariners, O's Displaying Strong Interest In Butler

Greg

So put him in our lineup with guys that already rake (2nd in HR's) he will make our team that much better. Not to mention the only high OBP guy we truly have is Markakis.

Honestly, your logic is circular in this thread. The point is that lineup protection doesn't seem to exist in any tangible, projectable form. Butler might hit 2-3 more home runs in Baltimore than he would in KC. He's still around a +3 win player under control for 2/16 plus an expensive third year option.

Bundy wouldn't have to touch his upside to provide the equal value production over his three pre-arb seasons alone (in which he will likely make <2 MM). That is very poor cost-benefit management, regardless of what cherry picked top 10 lists Butler's only source of value falls on or what exaggerated park effects you want to cite.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, your logic is circular in this thread. The point is that lineup protection doesn't seem to exist in any tangible, projectable form. Butler might hit 2-3 more home runs in Baltimore than he would in KC. He's still around a +3 win player under control for 2/16 plus an expensive third year option.

Bundy wouldn't have to touch his upside to provide the equal value production over his three pre-arb seasons alone (in which he will likely make <2 MM). That is very poor cost-benefit management, regardless of what cherry picked top 10 lists Butler's only source of value falls on or what exaggerated park effects you want to cite.

I never said I would certainly trade Bundy for Butler. I said I would have to think on it. I would want at least Gordon AND Butler for Bundy. Maybe more. He is likely to be the number 1 prospect entering 2013.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the love for Butler?

He's nothing special, especially since he's just a DH, but he's a ~3 WAR player who's realistically acquirable. So long as the Orioles aren't giving up too much, he's a pretty good match for the team. Not a perfect match, though. If we acquire Butler, then Davis plays first and Reimold may see a lot of time in left field, which doesn't exactly make my mouth water.

He's nothing special, especially since he's just a DH, but he's a ~3 WAR player who's realistically acquirable. So long as the Orioles aren't giving up too much, he's a pretty good match for the team. Not a perfect match, though. If we acquire Butler, then Davis plays first and Reimold may see a lot of time in left field, which doesn't exactly make my mouth water.

Agreed but it seems as if the Royals are going to ask for the world.

Agreed but it seems as if the Royals are going to ask for the world.

I think they're quickly going to find people are willing to give them Greenland and not much more. The Royals are going to have to decide just how badly they want to cut payroll.

The only teams I can see as a possible fit for Butler are Baltimore, Oakland, Cleveland, Seattle, Houston and maybe Texas. Houston and Cleveland are almost definitely not going to trade prospects for an established bat and we haven't heard anything about Oakland and Butler. Texas has Young and Moreland and Seattle has Montero and Smoak. The market for a player like Butler just isn't very robust. They're either going to have to take less than they want or he's going to stay in Kansas City.

Here are some more details from that article:

Baltimore appears an even tougher match unless it shifts gears and makes top prospect Dylan Bundy available. Its current offers include Brian Matusz, Chris Tillman, Jake Arrieta and Zach Britton. The Royals don?t appear to regard any as a sufficient return.

Maybe the Orioles have said "Pick two of these four" but a deal still hasn't been hammered out? I wonder how intent the Royals are on moving Butler.

That's ridiculous, you don't trade a top 2 prospect in baseball for a 3 WAR DH. If they want Bundy for Butler straight up they are wasting their time.

Yup. Butler is a nice hitter, and I'd love to have him in the middle of our lineup. No way they get Bundy for him, though.

Archived