Josh Hamilton market update - 3 years $60-75 million

TradeAngelos

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O's and Hamilton's agents phone conversation:

Agent: Hello this is Mike Moye

O's: Hi Mr. Moye, this is Dan Duquette from the Baltimore Orioles. We we would like to submit a proposal for Josh Hamilton.

Agent: Wonderful. Josh is looking for a 4 year deal.

O's: Well, we're willing to go 3 years at 25 million.

Agent: Ok...that is an offer I can take to Josh. How would you spread the money out over the 3 years? Would you want to front-load the deal or anything?

O's: no no no....we would pay him $8.3 million each year.

Agent: Wait....um....what's that?....oh I have another call. Gotta go.

If we could get Hamilton on a 3/75 or 4/90 type deal, I'd have to think that PA may be up for that.

Hamilton would make this lineup infinitely better.

No possible way Angelos would sign off on those kind of numbers for Hamilton, or for anyone else for that matter. They had no intentions of bringing Reynolds back and it wasn't to upgrade at first base. DD is talking like Conor Jackson is his big first base acquisition. I don't know who the source is for the articles we see stating that the Orioles are ready to be a player in the FA market every winter, but as long as PA is incharge, they will not be.

b

Wow - that's a really balanced, rationale examination of the potential Josh Hamilton would bring to this lineup.

He's a great hitter, no doubt.

A great hitter heading into what are generally the declining years of a player's career. A great hitter that has only averaged 123 games a year during his physical prime due to frequent stints on the DL.

For teams without infinity dollar budgets(i.e.- The Baltimore Orioles), the risk attached to any high dollar multi-year deal has to be measured against the possible reward. And in this case, where we're discussing a contract for a 32 year old injury magnet with a history of drug addiction that would comprise 20% or more of the payroll for the next few seasons, the former far outweighs the latter.

I'd rather pass, and any other rational fan that wants to win consistently, and not just NEXT YEAR, should want the Front Office to the same. And Thank God that they will.

b

He's a great hitter, no doubt.

A great hitter heading into what are generally the declining years of a player's career. A great hitter that has only averaged 123 games a year during his physical prime due to frequent stints on the DL.

For teams without infinity dollar budgets(i.e.- The Baltimore Orioles), the risk attached to any high dollar multi-year deal has to be measured against the possible reward. And in this case, where we're discussing a contract for a 32 year old injury magnet with a history of drug addiction that would comprise 20% or more of the payroll for the next few seasons, the former far outweighs the latter.

I'd rather pass, and any other rational fan should want the Front Office to the same.

You were right the first time and this clarification will do nothing for those who simply want to throw money around, logic will not pursued them. Some here have the motto that any high priced premium name player would be a great addition, and the financial situation of team (the real one the O's are operating under, not the one where we pretend Pete's gonna give out blank checks) is of no concern. It doesn't matter to them whether it would leave the team hamstrung in the future, it's a matter of principle, they want to spend Pete's money because they hate him, if it goes bad who cares because it's Pete's money and they hate Pete. Thing is, it's not Pete that's hurt, it's the O's, cause he isn't gonna keep writing checks. Don't bother trying to make sense.

I agree the O's had better get in on this. The pieces are in place for success. Some of the comments I have read on this site have been disgusting regarding this man. I had no idea there were so many flawless O's fans, Please for the Love of God give Josh Hamilton a chance

Yeah! Let's spend 20%-30% of our budget for the next 3 or 4 years on an injury-prone 32 year old recovering drug addict that has only played in more than 140 games twice in his entire career! It makes perfect sense!

:rolleyes:

Injury prone! Like when he was playing hard and broke his arm at home plate? That is injury prone? It isnt his back with cronic disc problems, it is him giving it his all. Dont look at his stats and see he has played x amount of games and just say he is injury prone. That is officially the dumbest statement of the day. PS I have been drinking, so I am probably over reacting. But get serious! I would be in at 5/115 ALL Day, and so should the Os

Injury prone! Like when he was playing hard and broke his arm at home plate? That is injury prone? It isnt his back with cronic disc problems, it is him giving it his all. Dont look at his stats and see he has played x amount of games and just say he is injury prone. That is officially the dumbest statement of the day. PS I have been drinking, so I am probably over reacting. But get serious! I would be in at 5/115 ALL Day, and so should the Os

Dude, the stats don't lie. In 6 MLB seasons, all of which were during his physical prime, he played in 140 or more games TWICE. He's missed 40 or more games three times. And now he's heading into the years when a player's body typically begins to break down.

I would pass and wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it.

Archived