Nick Swisher's Bat Fits Us Like a Glove (Update: Indians sign Swisher)

Frobby

In my opinion, Swisher loves playing the game and has fun. No one really hated him until he put on pinstripes. You can really hate anyone wearing pinstripes. I would love to pick him up for some of the reasons some of you have already posted about. Would be a great move.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get your hopes up, boys. We can dream all we want... But reality dictates the likely outcome. We have a better chance of seeing aliens landing in the Baltimore area, than we do of seeing a decently high priced free agent being lured by our team. DD has already said this... The O's want to beg, borrow and steal their way to the top with their OWN guys or through trades. I would be absolutely dumbfounded and shocked if we signed any decent FA this offseason.

The Orioles won't sign Nick Swisher. If his price dropped to the point where the O's considered him then another team would be sure to swoop in with a better offer. The Orioles are all about being thrifty and buying low and I just don't see the market bottoming out enough for the Orioles to be a serious suitor. That's not a knock on PA or the Orioles budget, its just the truth.

So what is being said here is he is a fit except for:

1) He is too expensive

2) He costs a pick

3) His showboating style does not fit with the Showalter style

4) He probably would not want to be the DH which is where the O's would want him

So the conclusion is he does not fit and will not be signed by the O's. For this I feel blessed.

If ever there were a time to punt a first round pick, the first non-top-five pick in the last seven years with a comp pick waiting 17 slots later to soften the blow seems as good as any. Baltimore would still pick twice before the second round is through.

There is value in that 23rd overall pick, to be sure. But not enough value to keep yourself out of the running for a +3-4 win bat on a medium term deal that fits your club's needs perfectly.

So what is being said here is he is a fit except for:

1) He is too expensive

2) He costs a pick

3) His showboating style does not fit with the Showalter style

4) He probably would not want to be the DH which is where the O's would want him

So the conclusion is he does not fit and will not be signed by the O's. For this I feel blessed.

I think what Showalter wants is players who play the game hard and play it well. I doubt Swisher's little quirks would bother Buck in the slightest, and he also might tone them down once he's out of NY. I don't remember him doing anything irritating in Oakland or Chicago.

As to whether he is too expensive, we will see. Could be, but I'm not so sure it will work out that way.

I hate the man and could never root for him. ANd would hate to see him wear the orange and black!

Wow. You can hate all you want to. I on the other hand choose

not to. If the O's did sign Swisher and he hit a home run

to lead the O's to a World Series Championship would you

even like him a little bit? I would be cheering my ass off.

Wow. You can hate all you want to. I on the other hand choose

not to. If the O's did sign Swisher and he hit a home run

to lead the O's to a World Series Championship would you

even like him a little bit? I would be cheering my ass off.

I think I would be cheering for the win, but not him. I can't think of another player since Pete Rose I loath more.

I said something back in early november for the Os to look at Swisher because he can be used as a LF/RF/1B/3B/DH option. He's def not the sexiest option out there and may come with a slightly high price tag... but if the market is down for him... GO GET HIM DD!

Hes the type of guy that you love him whens he on your team and hate him when hes not....could def see him and AJ having some fun in the dugout

I think I would be cheering for the win, but not him. I can't think of another player since Pete Rose I loath more.[/quote

I can understand the Rose dislike. As for Swisher that dislike well

that is your choice and that is fine. We will just have to

agree to disagree on Swisher.

Dude, I didn't say it was a big deal for me. There have been plenty of rumblings about it being a sticking point with the front office in regards to interest in LaRoche. So one would have to assume it applies to all players.

In regards to his douchebag image, I submit this quote from googling "Nick Swisher Affliction". Link

Re: This draft class. I do believe it is a little down, but its early still. However, the chances of any 24th pick exceeding Swish's value in the next 3 years is HIGHLY unlikely.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_article/analyzing-the-mlb-draft-using-war/

I'm not saying you said it and sorry if it came off that way. I'm just stating how I feel. I guess it comes down to what we are willing to trade for a guy and the value of those players versus an unproven draft pick.

Unless of course we plan on doing nothing?!??

Archived