Nick Swisher's Bat Fits Us Like a Glove (Update: Indians sign Swisher)

Frobby

I thought that Duquette already made it clear that we weren't going to sign Swisher.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/12/orioles-out-on-swisher-sign-conor-jackson-to-minor-league-deal.html

Did he change his mind ???

Frankly I had forgotten about this blog entry. But my OP was only about what I would do. I said I didn't think the O's would pursue him.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frankly I had forgotten about this blog entry. But my OP was only about what I would do. I said I didn't think the O's would pursue him.

I don't expect we end up with Swisher either. And not even for lack of effort. Even if we had a push to get him, it takes too many things to click in place for it to happen. DD has to change his approach and approach PA... or PA would have to direct from on high to get him. It's just not likely.

But I'll tell you, Swisher and Saunders/et al signed and we ROCK this year..

e: That's what? $110 mill? 115? I can see Peter Angelos approving that.

I don't expect we end up with Swisher either. And not even for lack of effort. Even if we had a push to get him, it takes too many things to click in place for it to happen. DD has to change his approach and approach PA... or PA would have to direct from on high to get him. It's just not likely.

But I'll tell you, Swisher and Saunders/et al signed, and we ROCK this year.

e: That's what? $110 mill? 115? I can see Peter Angelos approving that.

We're going to rock this year regardless, Scott. We're the Orioles.

If I were McLouth and I was told I had to sign a $2 million contract or the Orioles would turn around and spend at least 25 times as much on a different player then I would immediately increase my asking price fivefold and point out what a bargain they were still getting. ;)

That only works if you have some team that will pay more than $2M, which McLouth apparently did not.

No. No. No. If you're going to spend, spend big on a big time player. Totally against spending on someone like Swisher. I don't like his act and he's not a difference maker. You don't bust the payroll wide open for a compimentary player like Swisher, IMO.

Valid logic, but I wasn't expecting to "spend big" for him. Frobby suggested 13m/year (which coincidentally is the offer from the Indians). How low would you have to go for that number to not "bust the payroll"?

That only works if you have some team that will pay more than $2M, which McLouth apparently did not.

Just an attempt at humor to point out that Nick Swisher would be a lousy choice to try and get McLouth to come to terms.

Using Nick Swisher as a lever to get Nate McLouth to sign only works if they belong in the same conversation, which they don't. If DD wanted to get McLouth's attention he would have used somebody like Nate Shierholtz which, as competition, would have some credibility. McLouth is damaged goods looking for a one-year contract and regular playing time to reestablish his value. Swisher is coming off seven good years, is a great fit for several teams and is looking for a pay day, which he'll get at a price and duration that will guarantee him a starting job. If McLouth thought the O's were even remotely serious about Swisher at the time I think he would have signed elsewhere where he was more likely to play every day even if it meant less money.

Just an attempt at humor to point out that Nick Swisher would be a lousy choice to try and get McLouth to come to terms.

Using Nick Swisher as a lever to get Nate McLouth to sign only works if they belong in the same conversation, which they don't. If DD wanted to get McLouth's attention he would have used somebody like Nate Shierholtz which, as competition, would have some credibility. McLouth is damaged goods looking for a one-year contract and regular playing time to reestablish his value. Swisher is coming off seven good years, is a great fit for several teams and is looking for a pay day, which he'll get at a price and duration that will guarantee him a starting job. If McLouth thought the O's were even remotely serious about Swisher at the time I think he would have signed elsewhere where he was more likely to play every day even if it meant less money.

From what I read. you are right. discussion with Swisher did't get McLouth to sign but discussions with Schierholtz did lead to his signing. However it does appear that DD tried to use a meeting with Swisher to get McLouth to move while they were at the winter meetings. Buck also called McLouth to tell his it was time to move as Buck said in one of his interviews.

DD promptly drop discussion with Swisher after McLouth signed. This is from Roch's blog.

Duquette confirmed that he won't attempt to sign free-agent outfielder Nick Swisher, whose representatives met with the Orioles last night. Duquette said the Orioles have enough outfielders after re-signing Nate McLouth, and he dismissed the possibility that Swisher could play first base.

On the Orioles, his .272/.364/.473 line, 3.9 WAR and 128 wRC+ would've been comparable to Nick Markakis' .298/.363/.471, 1.7, 125.

Markakis' 15M/yr is pretty comparable.

They are both right fielders; Swisher is probably the better player, his defense is better, though he is two years older.

On the Indians, Swisher's value is much more pronounced.

On the Orioles, his .272/.364/.473 line, 3.9 WAR and 128 wRC+ would've been comparable to Nick Markakis' .298/.363/.471, 1.7, 125.

Markakis' 15M/yr is pretty comparable.

They are both right fielders; Swisher is probably the better player, his defense is better, though he is two years older.

On the Indians, Swisher's value is much more pronounced.

And the Indians lose a second round pick not a first.

Archived