Nick Swisher's Bat Fits Us Like a Glove (Update: Indians sign Swisher)

Frobby

I have never seen a fanbase celebrate the signing of a player that would help this team out. I know I know, they overpaid, blah blah. I just don't get this logic. It's not like they are dishing out ARod cash, the market will continue to increase, and at this rate we will never add anyone because they will be outpriced by the time they hit free agency. I am not just saying this about Swisher, just a lot of players in general. It is almost like you degrade players and say this and that because you know the O's won't sign them, so it makes some feel better. I for one would hope we overpay for someone becuase it means atleast we are trying to add some higher end talent and not always looking at the barain rack and hoping for the best or a turn around in that player. I want the O's to win, so yes if it means overpaying once in a while for a player, then try. I am so tired of hearing about the budget as well. If we add a player or 2 and continue to win, the fans will come like last year, and Petey will continue to see increased revenue. But, I am sure I will hear about the Albert Belle signing. I miss those days, atleast Pete took chances then.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's also an "easy to reach" vesting option for a fifth year which would take the contract to 5/70. A fifth year was always the deal breaker for me so good luck in Cleveland Nick (is Cleveland still a punchline?).

But the philosophical and economic purity of the Orioles' offseason is so, so much...oh, nevermind...

I have never seen a fanbase celebrate the signing of a player that would help this team out. I know I know, they overpaid, blah blah. I just don't get this logic. It's not like they are dishing out ARod cash, the market will continue to increase, and at this rate we will never add anyone because they will be outpriced by the time they hit free agency. I am not just saying this about Swisher, just a lot of players in general. It is almost like you degrade players and say this and that because you know the O's won't sign them, so it makes some feel better. I for one would hope we overpay for someone becuase it means atleast we are trying to add some higher end talent and not always looking at the barain rack and hoping for the best or a turn around in that player. I want the O's to win, so yes if it means overpaying once in a while for a player, then try. I am so tired of hearing about the budget as well. If we add a player or 2 and continue to win, the fans will come like last year, and Petey will continue to see increased revenue. But, I am sure I will hear about the Albert Belle signing. I miss those days, atleast Pete took chances then.

The budget exists even if you are tired of hearing about it.

I don't know of anyone on this board that doesn't think the O's could increase payroll without operating at a deficit.

Most of the rest of us have accepted that the O's are not willing to spend as much as they could. Working within the constrains that ownership has put the FO under signing someone like Swisher is a bad allocation of resources.

And the Indians lose a second round pick not a first.

I think that the O's also avoided having lost some of the draft allocation money as well; which is seems to be what teams like the Red Sox may be doing

the Red Sox have avoided giving up a draft pick, not wanting to risk their signing allotment being affected by more than $1 million.
as per Niock Carafado in the Boston Globe

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/12/23/the-other-ross-may-most-significant-sox-addition/WAcdNcDX7ZIV7uo5F3AmWL/story.html

On the Orioles, his .272/.364/.473 line, 3.9 WAR and 128 wRC+ would've been comparable to Nick Markakis' .298/.363/.471, 1.7, 125.

Markakis' 15M/yr is pretty comparable.

They are both right fielders; Swisher is probably the better player, his defense is better, though he is two years older.

On the Indians, Swisher's value is much more pronounced.

I disagree with that assessment. Markakis is the superior player, IMO. Are you using career or 2012 stats? Markakis had a bit of a down year last year.

But the big difference is the lineup. Let's see what kind of numbers Swisher puts up not having the NYY lineup around him.

I disagree with that assessment. Markakis is the superior player, IMO. Are you using career or 2012 stats? Markakis had a bit of a down year last year.

But the big difference is the lineup. Let's see what kind of numbers Swisher puts up not having the NYY lineup around him.

The only counting numbers that should change because of the Yankee's lineup are runs scored and RBIs.

Swisher, 2009-2012

2501PA .268/.367/.483, 105HR 13.1 BB%, 21.2 K% 15.1 fWAR

Markakis, 2009-2012

2607PA .292/.357/.439, 58HR 8.9 BB%, 12.2 K%, 8.8 fWAR

UZR, too, favors Swisher over Markakis using 4 seasons of data.

Swisher's numbers with the A's are not radically different. Swisher, by all metrics, is just simply a better player than Markakis.

Now go get Michael Bourn

And the fantsay continues on this baord............but pretty soon there will be no one left to fantasize about....but not to fret! Then everyone will begin to post about next year's crop of FA's.

This team is not going to sign anyone except possible a player like Casey Kotchman, whom no one else wants. They were NEVER in the mix for Swisher and are NOT in the mix for Bourn.

Archived