"Stan the Man" Musial Dead at 92

Barnaby Graves

Baseball is a lesser place now without Earl and Stan Musial. He played in an era of the giants of the game, and like so many of his era, he gave up baseball to serve his country, which likely cost him 500 home runs for his career. But, 500 homers or not, Stan Musial was one of the greatest of all-time, and in my view, universally one of the most under-appreciated players of all-time.

Given how great a player he was, Stan the Man was appropriately one of the most recognized names in the game during his playing days, but I don't think he's gotten his due in recent years. Possibly because he was so soft-spoken and didn't seek attention. In any event, another one of the greats has passed. Thanks to Stan for providing an example of how to be a great player and equally admirable person. RIP

What a last 24 hours in baseball. Two baseball legends, Earl Weaver and now Stan

'The Man" Musial are gone. Both were St. Louis based. Earl was born there, and Stan

played his entire career there. I think Stan couldve been the most amiable person I

ever knew outside of Brooks Robinson. He was a remarkable hitter, fielder and

gentleman. Stan mightve been the most complete player in his generation outside of

Willie Mays. 36 hundred hits and all 22 seasons(like Earl's 17) were spent toiling for

the same team. If you ever met Stan you knew how friendly he was. I dont think he

had an enemy in the game or in life. He always had a smile on his face. What a

ballplayer. What a man

St. Louis mournns two favorite sons; Earl Weaver and now Stan Musial.

Baseball lost a lot this weekend.

An awful lot. Stan was my father's first hero.

Archived