Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Greg

Hasn't it been said that UZR is a better metric for measuring IF defense than OF? I can't remember where I read it, but it seems to me that it's still not considered by some to be wholly reliable. I like the routes McLouth takes vs. Jones. He passes the eye test for me.

I still don't believe UZR at Camden Yards. Historically, all of the Orioles outfielders perform much better (per UZR) on the road than at home which doesn't make sense to me.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was hated before spring training started.

That's because it was pretty obvious to everyone except Andy MacPhail that Atkins was a washed up product of Coors Field. In fact, my extreme displeasure with MacPhail can be traced directly to the Atkins signing. I already had my doubts, but once he signed Atkins I knew he was a lost cause as a GM.

That's because it was pretty obvious to everyone except Andy MacPhail that Atkins was a washed up product of Coors Field. In fact, my extreme displeasure with MacPhail can be traced directly to the Atkins signing. I already had my doubts, but once he signed Atkins I knew he was a lost cause as a GM.

I agree. He hadn't been proven awful yet tho.

LF has never felt settled to me, though. Seems to be a stopgap kind of position. Reimold was sort of supposed to be that guy that finally settled it.

Well, you are right about that. In the last 10 years, we've had 15 different guys get at least 300 innings in LF. Here's the list, in order of most innings played:

Bigbie (2043 innings)

Reimold (1627)

Scott (1473)

Payton (1311)

Pie (1202)

Surhoff (845)

Conine (477)

McLouth (473)

Mora (468)

Patterson (466)

Newhan (411)

Montanez (399)

Fahey (392)

Byrnes (382)

Gibbons (326)

To put that into perspective, the O's have only had five guys play 300+ innings in RF, and Nick has more than quadruple the innings in RF (exactly 8800) that Bigbie had in LF; in fact, Gibbons (2756) also has more inning in RF than anyone has lad in LF in the last decade. The O's have had only seven guys play 300+ innings in CF, with Jones (6144) having triple the number in CF that Bigbie had in LF, and Matos (2766) and Patterson (2200) also topping Bigbie. As another way to look at it, Bigbie's 2043 innings represents less than 15% of all innings played in LF for the Orioles in the last 10 years.

Hasn't it been said that UZR is a better metric for measuring IF defense than OF? I can't remember where I read it, but it seems to me that it's still not considered by some to be wholly reliable. I like the routes McLouth takes vs. Jones. He passes the eye test for me.

Yes, UZR is more stable for IF defense than OF defense. The spatial relationship in OF defense makes it more complex. With respect to Mclouth, his range components for UZR and DRS last year were both positive. He ran negative overall because of his arm component. Still a pretty SSS, but I agree he looks pretty good rangewise in LF. On the other hand, his arm strength does look pretty poor, even for a left fielder.

Don't forget Adam Eaton.

MSK

Archived