Minor League Depth Charts?

CharmCityHokie

Baltimore..............Norfolk...............Bowie..................Frederick...................Delmarva

C Wieters................Martinez.............Joseph.................Ohlman.....................Z. Chavez

1B Davis..................Ishikawa.............Baker..................Delmonico.................Walker

2B Roberts...............Flaherty..............B. Britton.............Pena.........................Simpson

SS Hardy.................Navarro..............Schoop................Rosa..........................Marin

3B Machado.............Waring................Kelly...................Narron.......................Esposito

RF Markakis.............Hoes...................Welty..................Mummey....................Bernadina

CF Jones..................Avery.................Urrutia................G. Davis......................Lorenzo

LF McLouth..............Dickerson............Webb..................Ruettiger....................Planeta

DH Reimold..............Pearce.................Townsend............Flacco........................Boss

B Teagarden...........Robinson.............Ward...................San Miguel..................Kimmel

B Betemit...............Ford...................Pettit...................Mosby........................Hutter

B Casilla.................Pridie.................Romero................Starr..........................Herbst

B Valenica..............Wheeler..............Gil.......................Nowak.......................Sawyer

SP M. Gonzalez.........Arrieta................D. Bundy..............Bywater.....................Chalas

SP Hammel..............S. Johnson..........Wright..................Howard......................Bridwell

SP Tillman...............Wada..................B. Bundy..............T. Berry......................Guzman

SP Chen..................Z. Clark...............Gausman.............E. Rodriguez................Kline

SP Z. Britton............Jurrjens..............Wilson..................Davies........................Hader

RP O'Day.................Delcarmen..........Zagone.................Loomis.......................Petersime

RP Patton................Schlereth............Petitt....................Recchia......................Taylor

RP Strop.................Egan...................Schrader..............Wooten.......................Beal

RP Ayala.................Zinicola...............Gurka...................Escat.........................Beck

RP Matusz...............Petrini.................D. Jones...............Fowler........................McCracken

RP Hunter...............Belfiore...............R. Berry................C. Johnson..................Parry

CL J. Johnson..........Delaney..............Boleska.................Walters.......................Winegardner

No Room/Injured

Robinson............C. Jackson...........Smith...................Tolliver........................Givens

McFarland...........Exposito..............Drake...................Beaulac.......................Knight

.........................Braddock.............Klein....................Mertins........................Louico

.........................Rundles...............Gamboa...............Prado..........................D. Baker

.........................McCutchen...........Bascom................Pardo.........................A. Davis

.........................Russell................Quinowski.............Bumbry......................Wade

..................................................Gleason.................Oliveira......................Leonora

..................................................Meyer...................Adair

..................................................Roof......................S. Thomas

..................................................Greenberg.............Rooney

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....Baltimore...........................Norfolk... .............Bowie...............Frederick........ ....Delmarva

2B...Roberts..............................Flaherty ..............Romero.............Pena............. ....Boss

C.....Wieters..............................Exposit o.............Joseph..............Ohlman.......... ....Sawyer

CF...Jones.................................Avery.. ................Greenberg.........Mummey.......... ..Davis

DH...Reimold............................ Jackson...............Townsend.........Schutz..... .........Simpson

Romero to 2B?

Can Ohlman catch?

Schutz no longer with org?

Joseph over Chavez or Ward? Joseph is in AAA now, and not likely to start.

Adam Greenberg in center? Planeta, Bumbry, Nowak fit better

Creede or Jerome Simpson in Delmarva?

Bullpens:

Norfolk------------------Bowie-------------------Frederick---------------Delmarva

Braddock----------------Gurka (L)---------------Petersime---------------McCracken

McCutchen--------------Bascom (swingman)-----Fowler (L)---------------Chalas (swingman/6th starter)

Belfiore (L)--------------R. Berry ----------------Recchia-----------------Esquivel (swingman/6th starter)

Egan--------------------Gamboa----------------D. Baker-----------------Beck

Hendrickson (L)----------Zinicola----------------Winegardner-------------C. Johnson

Schrader----------------Petrini (L)--------------Quinowski (L)------------Walters

Delcarmen---------------Bywater (L-Swingman)--Blackmar (swingman)----D. Meyer (L)

Guys who have been injured/might be staying in extended ST to work on stuff/get stretched out as starters

D. Klein (Healthy? If so, AA bullpen)

Coffey (If he's healthy I can see him sticking around in extended ST to knock some rust off)

Tolliver (same as Coffey)

Hader (I imagine they're going to see if he can be a starter. If not, he could go to Frederick or Delmarva's pen)

Parry (Same as Hader)

J Beal (not sure if he's healthy)

B Bundy (same as Beal, I imagine even if he is healthy he heads to the bullpen somewhere)

Guys who I have no idea where they're going:

Russell (I've never been particularly impressed by his stats or stuff)

Gleason (wait in Extended ST for an injury/back to Mexico on loan?)

Prado (one of our many Indy League pickups)

Beaulac

Wooten (Extended ST to wait for a short season team/injury)

Loomis (is he still a member of the organization?)

Escat

Louico (extended ST to work on his command/control? I think I've read that he has pretty explosive stuff)

Rundles

Delaney

Mertins

Mahon

Pardo

So when it comes to bullpen's there are so many controversial decisions in my subjective decision making that there is no way I can write up all the logic I have behind it like I did for the position players and starters. I see alot of guys getting released, or possibly repeating levels. I see Norfolk staying as it was last year. Guys who can show up and do a designed job for a few games and get shuttled back. Several of those guys have alot of ML experience. I can see Hendrickson getting released after this experiment in ST with one of Petrini or Gurka taking his place. The list of injured guys is perhaps the most interesting to me since some of them have really good stuff. I assume the team is going to try Hader and Parry out as starters, and they might keep them in extended ST to work on the finer points and restrict innings. I hope if B. Bundy is healthy they put him in the 'pen where I think he can really succeed.

Who'd I miss? Who shouldnt be where? Etc.

Major props to all who have put the time in to compile these depth charts. I wonder

how many other teams have fans so involved that their interest in the teams and

players goes down to the low A levels. I do not know enough to make up my list,

even though I consider myself pretty much on top of our minor league teams. I do

know this though. Based on the depth charts I have seen so far, this may be

the most competitive spring for the players to find a roster spot. It is refreshing to

see a spring where players have to prove they belong on a certain level, as opposed

to the past when it seemed like all someone had to do was show up healthy.

Baltimore..............Norfolk...............Bowie..................Frederick...................Delmarva

C Wieters................Martinez.............Joseph.................Ohlman.....................Z. Chavez

1B Davis..................Ishikawa.............Baker..................Delmonico.................Walker

2B Roberts...............Flaherty..............B. Britton.............Pena.........................Simpson

SS Hardy.................Navarro..............Schoop................Rosa..........................Marin

3B Machado.............Waring................Kelly...................Narron.......................Esposito

RF Markakis.............Hoes...................Welty..................Mummey....................Bernadina

CF Jones..................Avery.................Urrutia................G. Davis......................Lorenzo

LF McLouth..............Dickerson............Webb..................Ruettiger....................Planeta

DH Reimold..............Pearce.................Townsend............Flacco........................Boss

B Teagarden...........Robinson.............Ward...................San Miguel..................Kimmel

B Betemit...............Ford...................Pettit...................Mosby........................Hutter

B Casilla.................Pridie.................Romero................Starr..........................Herbst

B Valenica..............Wheeler..............Gil.......................Nowak.......................Sawyer

SP M. Gonzalez.........Arrieta................D. Bundy..............Bywater.....................Chalas

SP Hammel..............S. Johnson..........Wright..................Howard......................Bridwell

SP Tillman...............Wada..................B. Bundy..............T. Berry......................Guzman

SP Chen..................Z. Clark...............Gausman.............E. Rodriguez................Kline

SP Z. Britton............Jurrjens..............Wilson..................Davies........................Hader

RP O'Day.................Delcarmen..........Zagone.................Loomis.......................Petersime

RP Patton................Schlereth............Petitt....................Recchia......................Taylor

RP Strop.................Egan...................Schrader..............Wooten.......................Beal

RP Ayala.................Zinicola...............Gurka...................Escat.........................Beck

RP Matusz...............Petrini.................D. Jones...............Fowler........................McCracken

RP Hunter...............Belfiore...............R. Berry................C. Johnson..................Parry

CL J. Johnson..........Delaney..............Boleska.................Walters.......................Winegardner

No Room/Injured

Robinson............C. Jackson...........Smith...................Tolliver........................Givens

McFarland...........Exposito..............Drake...................Beaulac.......................Knight

.........................Braddock.............Klein....................Mertins........................Louico

.........................Rundles...............Gamboa...............Prado..........................D. Baker

.........................McCutchen...........Bascom................Pardo.........................A. Davis

.........................Russell................Quinowski.............Bumbry......................Wade

..................................................Gleason.................Oliveira......................Leonora

..................................................Roof......................S. Thomas

I've gotta say, I probably won't be able to make it to Baltimore for any games this year due to starting a new job. But I should be able to make it to quite a few Tides games.. and we might actually have a winner finally. That is one heck of a AAA lineup... for a few years, the Tides were maybe slightly better than your average AA lineup. There are some legit AAAA guys all over the lineup/pitching staff.

I've gotta say, I probably won't be able to make it to Baltimore for any games this year due to starting a new job. But I should be able to make it to quite a few Tides games.. and we might actually have a winner finally. That is one heck of a AAA lineup... for a few years, the Tides were maybe slightly better than your average AA lineup. There are some legit AAAA guys all over the lineup/pitching staff.

Kind of on the same path of thinking as this comment; we may not have a lot of top end high potential prospects, but we sure have a heck of alot of experienced depth that can prove to be average ML players if the need arises. Average might not be optimal, but it sure is a step above where we have been in the past, where we've had to waiver-claim guys in July from another team just to make a start because we had no one in the minors who could handle it.

Average might not be optimal, but it sure is a step above where we have been in the past, where we've had to waiver-claim guys in July from another team just to make a start because we had no one in the minors who could handle it.

Or worse, we would call guys up from Norfolk who... well... couldn't handle the majors. Guys like Kyle Hudson (who we picked back up, but who will likely start in Bowie... and could even end up in Frederick with the depth we have. Not to out Hudson, but he's not a guy who should be making appearances in a Major league lineup... unless you have a completed depleted AAA roster... which we did for a few years.

Could this bunch actually win the IL? Or am I getting a little ahead of myself? Granted, I know the IL is EXTREMELY unpredictable (given that it's dependent on who the big club calls up and many other things completely out of team control), but there are very few guys there who would be in a lower level in many other franchises.

Could this bunch actually win the IL? Or am I getting a little ahead of myself? Granted, I know the IL is EXTREMELY unpredictable (given that it's dependent on who the big club calls up and many other things completely out of team control), but there are very few guys there who would be in a lower level in many other franchises.

The IL part is tough, especially knowing DD and Buck, like you mentioned regarding the call ups. The starting rotation could have a few studs working at the top of it, as could the bullpen. But the main problem (at least with the depth chart I posted, and this idea is making me rethink it) is there isn't a whole lot of power in the lineup. Alot of guys with average power, but nothing that really stands out, especially for a cavernous park like the Tides play in. Maybe that'll cause some shifts with a guy like Waring with a ton of pure power being sent up and Wheeler going back to AA. Not sure, should be fun to watch though.

Or worse, we would call guys up from Norfolk who... well... couldn't handle the majors. Guys like Kyle Hudson (who we picked back up, but who will likely start in Bowie... and could even end up in Frederick with the depth we have. Not to out Hudson, but he's not a guy who should be making appearances in a Major league lineup... unless you have a completed depleted AAA roster... which we did for a few years.

Kyle Hudson was a September call-up to reward him for the season he had had in the minors in 2011. For the most part he was a pinch-runner.

No Room/Injured

Did Urrutia make into the US?

No Room/Injured

Some of the players left in the No Room category definitely will be found room: Jackson, Exposito, Braddock, McCutchen, Drake, and Klein at least.

Wada won't be ready to begin his rehab assignment until at least May or June, so that is another roster spot, though that will probably go to Redmond.

No Room/Injured

I think this is the biggest thing that DD has done for the organization. That triple a team is best I can ever remember in really following the organization over the last 10 years. In most years the depth chart for AA would probably more resemble our triple a team. Having so much quality depth will allow Buck and DD to again shuttle players up and down based on need. I think of all the hitters that we picked up, only Pearce and Robinson don't have options. I think this is much more valuable because it allows you to play the hot hand instead of being locked into a bunch of long term deals with aging players like the Yankees are. Also having so much quality depth allows us to keep a guy like Schoop in Bowie to start the year and not just push him along the way we did a guy like Avery.

Thanks to all of you who've contributed depth charts on this thread. Great idea.

DD has definitely excelled at this part of his job requirement - he has made the talent pool in our system deeper and wider than for a decade - and he's done it in one year.

Comments and questions:

Has Urrutia even gotten his VISA issues straightened out for the Dominican Republic? Will he ever appear on our shores?

Delmonico's value is so much higher (particularly in this organization) as a third baseman than as a first baseman. (And) I am particularly unimpressed with Conor Narron's seasons in this organization. I'd be sure to have Delmonico at 3rd and put Narron wherever - I guess at 1B if there's a hole there in Frederick - I don't really care.

Between Baker and Townsend splitting 1B/DH at Bowie, is one of them clearly the better fielder? I think we all know who is the more injury-prone! Maybe that factors into the assignment of Townsend to DH. (But) if he can stay on the field and he isn't an embarassment at 1B, I'd rather see him there.

Drake and Klein, if healthy could and should be in play.

I'm sure Brian Graham is up to the challenge, but there is an awful lot of (desirable) roster management that's going to have to go on this year. Go O's.

Archived