Texeira: Who's Worth 20 Million

BillySmith

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323701904578278350297928128.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

Pretty cool stuff from Texeira here. He admits his contract is way too large for his production. Maybe there is still hope that these ridiculous contracts will be fewer and fewer.

The new CBA has already had an impact on that IMO. Other then the Dodgers,we've seen big spending teams like the Yankees and Red Sox not open their checkbooks as fast or not at all.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323701904578278350297928128.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

Pretty cool stuff from Texeira here. He admits his contract is way too large for his production. Maybe there is still hope that these ridiculous contracts will be fewer and fewer.

What he does is say that it is almost impossible for anyone to earn their money with a contract like that. Folks in Detroit are not complaining about their 20 million dollar players. Truth is Tex is going into decline and that makes him grossly overpaid.

And with each team getting 25 million or so in new TV money starting in 2014 you will be seeing more of this instead of less.

Which is a good thing because I would rather see the players get the money then an owner just rake in more profits.

What he does is say that it is almost impossible for anyone to earn their money with a contract like that. Folks in Detroit are not complaining about their 20 million dollar players. Truth is Tex is going into decline and that makes him grossly overpaid.

And with each team getting 25 million or so in new TV money starting in 2014 you will be seeing more of this instead of less.

Which means it will take less production to be worth $20 mm. Which means Tex may be worth it once the scale shifts again. We easily could see $6 mm/WAR for free agents next offseason.

The new CBA has already had an impact on that IMO. Other then the Dodgers,we've seen big spending teams like the Yankees and Red Sox not open their checkbooks as fast or not at all.

Red Sox didn't open up because Cherington runs the team differently and they had too many holes to fix. The Yankees wanted to get under the luxury tax to reset it but they will likely spend in the 2014 offseason.

Red Sox didn't open up because Cherington runs the team differently and they had too many holes to fix. The Yankees wanted to get under the luxury tax to reset it but they will likely spend in the 2014 offseason.

Red Sox spent plenty of money trying to fill up holes with veteran free agents. Just not any big stars or long term deals.

14 players made at least $20 M in 2012:

ARod

V. Wells

J. Santana

Teixeira

Sabathia

Mauer

Fielder

A. Gonzalez

C. Lee

Crawford

M. Cabrera

Verlander

Halladay

Howard

Who of that list was worth at least $20 M in 2012?

Cabrera

Mauer

Fielder

Verlander

Lee

Sabathia

Who of that list was worth less than $10 M in 2012?

Howard

Santana

Crawford

Wells

Rodriguez

Interesting note, of the 9 position players making at least $20 M, 6 were over 30 and 3 were under 30. The 3 who were worth at least $20 M were the three under 30. The average value of the 6 over 30 position players was $6.4 M. Doesn't bode well for Hamilton or Pujols.

I think the Hamilton deal will turn sour first. A lot of baseball players start to slowly decline after 31-32. I can't imagine one who put his body through what Hamilton did not regressing faster.

They are discussing the value of FA Mega contracts right now on MLB Network.

Archived