AL East Predictions

Rene88

No way the Yankees are last or 2nd to last, fans would stage a coup and they would just get more talent. Not gonna happen.

The Yankees won't have a choice where they finish if they don't play well. They are a mostly LH hitting team, in a division with some pretty good LH pitchers. They are not going to go out an add talent. They Yankees are serious about cutting payroll. Hence all the one year deals and lack of activity in the FA market this winter. I'm sure many laughed at the idea of Boston finishing last in 2012 too.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way the Yankees are last or 2nd to last, fans would stage a coup and they would just get more talent. Not gonna happen.
What's not going to happen is the Yankees are not going to spend over the luxory tax limit. If that isn't clear by now it never will be. They could more afford to sign Hamilton and needed him more than the O's, but they wouldn't commit to the money.

The Yankees won't have a choice where they finish if they don't play well. They are a mostly LH hitting team, in a division with some pretty good LH pitchers. They are not going to go out an add talent. They Yankees are serious about cutting payroll. Hence all the one year deals and lack of activity in the FA market this winter. I'm sure many laughed at the idea of Boston finishing last in 2012 too.

I will make a friendly wager:)

I will make a friendly wager:)

Honestly, it's too close to call for me to take that bet ;). I think the O's, NY, and Bos. could finish in any order from 3-5. Earlier in the offseason, I had the O's 4th and Bos 5th. I wouldn't be shocked if the O's finish 5th. I don't think there is alot of seperation in the AL East. TB pitching is going to make them tough. However, if Tor plays up to the hype, they may run away with it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I predict that 2013 will be a wild ride in the AL Beast. I can easily see scenarios where any team ends up in first or last, or anywhere in between. Even Boston. I think that the Orioles will be right in the thick of things in July, and DD's actions at that point will decide our fate.

My "out there" prediction- the Orioles will trade for Mark Reynolds. Again.

Objectivity is highly overrated. Now that hope has been restored in Baltimore, I refuse to pick against the Orioles. I think Tampa and Toronto battle it out for second place, New York slides to 4th and Boston takes the cellar though they'll be respectable.

Objectivity is highly overrated. Now that hope has been restored in Baltimore, I refuse to pick against the Orioles. I think Tampa and Toronto battle it out for second place, New York slides to 4th and Boston takes the cellar though they'll be respectable.

Agreed, I think they'll all be respectable and only a few games will seperate them.

Question Marks:

O's; 1B,2B, LF, SP

MFY; SS. 3B, RF, DH, LF, C, SP, Pen

BOS; C, 1B, SS, 3B, LF, RF, SP, Pen

TB; DH, 1B, SS, CF, C

TOR;1B(Encarnation will likely regress)SS(Reyes has health issues) LF(PED's) RF(health) SP, Buehrle(age), Morrow, Romero(consistency) Johnson(health)

The O's have questions with SP but they are deeper there than just about every one else except TB. Our pen os as good or better than any of the others. That leaves 1B, 2B and LF. Compare that to BOS, where they have questions at every position except DH and 2B. TB and TOR look to be our biggest challengers IMO.

I am not sure you can predict injuries, but they do happen. That much I do know and I don't think our depth is adequate. We can agree to disagree.

Our staff is made up of question marks. Gonzo was nothing short of amazing, but can he do that again? Hammel overachieved, can he stay healthy and perform at a similar level? Tillman looked superb, but will he revert to the old Tillman? Matusz looked great in the bullpen but again lost out there starting. Jake has phenomenal stuff, but he looked like Mitch Williams as a starter. I think Chen is a decent #4.

Just my opinion. We need more depth. Have they even formalized the JJ deal yet? I didn't think they did.

Your main point seems to be...they pitched well, but can they do that again. But you leave out the possibility that maybe some others have underachieved and maybe one or more of them will step up their game unexpectedly like Matusz, Hunter, Arrieta, Johnson, Jurrgens, Zach Britton. All of the teams in the AL East are flawed in one fashion or another, but the Os have more youth and more possibilities than ever before (and this doesn't even include anything from Bundy or Gausman).

Question Marks:

O's; 1B,2B, LF, SP

MFY; SS. 3B, RF, DH, LF, C, SP, Pen

BOS; C, 1B, SS, 3B, LF, RF, SP, Pen

TB; DH, 1B, SS, CF, C

TOR;1B(Encarnation will likely regress)SS(Reyes has health issues) LF(PED's) RF(health) SP, Buehrle(age), Morrow, Romero(consistency) Johnson(health)

The O's have questions with SP but they are deeper there than just about every one else except TB. Our pen os as good or better than any of the others. That leaves 1B, 2B and LF. Compare that to BOS, where they have questions at every position except DH and 2B. TB and TOR look to be our biggest challengers IMO.

Don't forget Dickey for TOR- transitioning to a league where pitchers don't bat and more of the best hitters play may cause him to come down to Earth a bit(I think he'll be fine but ya never know...).

Don't forget Dickey for TOR- transitioning to a league where pitchers don't bat and more of the best hitters play may cause him to come down to Earth a bit(I think he'll be fine but ya never know...).
Of all their SP Dickey is the one I have the most confidence in. His knuckler seems to work better in domes. He is the one SP I wished we had traded for. I would have offered Tillman, Strop, Schoop +, if we could have extended him.

Archived