A closer look at the Chris Davis trade - Andy MacPhail the trade master

O's are Legends

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much says McPhail demanded the trade and sweetened it with 2million bucks we got from Pittsburgh (saved on his contract)when we traded Derek Lee. Says Texas thought that Davis might really come back to bite them but that they would live with it. Texas only wanted Uehara for Hunter. Instead it became Uehara and two million for Hunter and Davis. So I guess Davis cost us 2 million in cash.

Made it seem Texas was well aware of what could happen but decided to gamble.

McPhail won.

That is terrible hard to read(format). The jist is McPhail wanted Davis all along and the Rangers didnt want to include him, but did anyway for $2m cash. Wish there were some paragraphs and maybe a little more spacing between lines, I am only 32 and can barely read the thing!

That is terrible hard to read(format). The jist is McPhail wanted Davis all along and the Rangers didnt want to include him, but did anyway for $2m cash. Wish there were some paragraphs and maybe a little more spacing between lines, I am only 32 and can barely read the thing!

That was the moble format. Here's the real article.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Chris-Davis-Texas-Rangers-Baltimore-Orioles-trade-Victor-Martinez-Prince-Fielder-Lyle-Overbay-040813

Absolutely amazing. I know the majority of posters here think AM was a failure overall but I think most fans don't realize how lucky we were to have him.

McPhail knew how to negotiate a trade, no doubt. But in retrospect, Tommy Hunter for Uehara would have been one sided in Texas' favor as well. Uehara was having an awesome year, and other teams were interested in him. So Texas gave in. And McPhail got the best deal.

I honestly think that McPhail was the best GM we ever had at the trade.

Adam Jones

Chris Tillman

George Sherrill

Troy Patton

JJ Hardy

Chris Davis

Tommy Hunter

Steve Johnson

All these guys were picked up by McPhail

Worst trade

Dave Hernandez and Kam Mikilio for Mark Reynolds

Chad Bradford for a couple of bucks

The worst trades are fairly harmless. With the possible exception of Hernandez. Who has blossomed into a guy who could easily be a lights out closer.

Adam Jones

Chris Tillman

George Sherrill

Troy Patton

JJ Hardy

Chris Davis

Tommy Hunter

Steve Johnson

Worst trade

The worst trades are fairly harmless. With the possible exception of Hernandez. Who has blossomed into a guy who could easily be a lights out closer.

Don't forget Pedro Strop (for Mike Gonzalez)! Also, picking up Jeremy Guthrie off of the waiver wire. In the meantime, Luke Scott and others provided a few years of useful performance.

Adam Jones

Chris Tillman

George Sherrill

Troy Patton

JJ Hardy

Chris Davis

Tommy Hunter

Steve Johnson

Worst trade

Geez when you look at them all in one post (thanks) it really forces to you to challenge your opinion(s) of AM.

Geez when you look at them all in one post (thanks) it really forces to you to challenge your opinion(s) of AM.

I think it shows you how little AM had to work with when he arrived. I really think he was the perfect candidate for the position when he got here, but by the end it was clear we needed a change.

Adam Jones

Chris Tillman

George Sherrill

Troy Patton

JJ Hardy

Chris Davis

Tommy Hunter

Steve Johnson

Worst trade

As well as the Bedard trade turned out for us, I think that was less about MacPhail's trading acumen and more about the shortage of top-level pitchers on the market that offseason. As I recall, Cincinnati offered us a package that included Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto, Drew Stubbs and a fourth player, which MacPhail rejected because he wanted Jay Bruce (who at the time was the BA No. 1 prospect). As much as I like Jones and Tillman, I think in hindsight the Cinciannati package was better. (By the way, Josh Hamilton also was reported to be available to us in the early discussions with Cincy that offeseason, but the Reds traded him for Volquez after our talks progressed at a slow pace.) So, while I'm very happy with the Bedard trade, I think it could have been even better.

You left Luke Scott off your list of players MacPhail acquired. He gave us three very good years as part of the Tejada deal.

Adam Jones

Chris Tillman

George Sherrill

Troy Patton

JJ Hardy

Chris Davis

Tommy Hunter

Steve Johnson

Worst trade

MacPhail seems to have been a superior trader because of his methodical nature to hold out for the players he wanted. However that same methodical nature is what didn't match up with Buck's desire to move players in and out of the 25 man roster the way DD is doing it.

Archived