Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

I think you missed his point a bit or I did, but either way, you are 100 percent correct in your past paragraph. There appeared to be a whole lot of "it ain't my problem" that went around this situation.

Yeah, Kitty Genovese is the most famous case, but I think that studies have shown that people are less likely to report a crime if they're in a crowd. They all figure somebody else will do it.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad. At the end of the day there is a young man (who should have started his first day of work at new company this past monday) laying in an ICU clinging to his life while his family is dying inside and hoping for a miracle.

I don't know all of the circumstances and hindsight is 20/20... but the mere fact that this guy wore a Yankees cap to Camden Yards doesn't mean it should trigger events that lead to this. Really pitiful and shameful.

I love Camden Yards for many reasons, but one of them is because its a place I've always felt comfortable taking my little girls. It's a pretty decent family atmosphere. And it totally ticks me off that these O's fans escalated the conflict to the point where this guy - wrong or right - confronted them. Pitiful.

Of course, this is largely anecdotal (though I've heard it confirmed by other posters, callers on radio shows, etc.). But I went up to game four of last year's ALDS, and, while I was expecting to face some harassment, given that I was wearing an O's jersey and cap -- and given that a guy on the street in Manhattan, as well as a couple fans outside the stadium itself, had accosted me (verbally, nothing major) -- I've probably never felt safer while actually within the confines of an opposing stadium.

Interesting. I was there for Game 4 as well, and I was threatened at least half a dozen times. Bunch of aggressive, rude drunks in the right-field bleachers that night; to the security staff's credit, there were several ejections from my section (205).

But then I went back for Game 5 and had an experience similar to what you describe for Game 4. Aside from the game's outcome, it was a perfectly lovely evening.

I don't mean to attack you - but well, you're wrong. And it is that opinion that makes stuff like this okay. Your statement, and others like it, to me seem as if you are trying to explain away the problem and make it seem like not such a big deal.

This is the same thing as saying, "she was asking for it dressed like that." How's about we all just grow the eff up a little bit and understand that there are other fans in the world and not give a crap what other people are doing, wearing, and saying.

And you know, you would be almost right IF someone wasn't laying in a hospital bed right now clinging to life. Sure, this may have been a bit of ballpark douchebaggery that escalated way too quickly and ended in the worst possible consequences but that doesn't change the fact that we as a community of fans can not just allow stuff to escalate like that. If you see a drunk jackass doing jackass things it shouldn't matter the laundry of the people involved some one needs to get the authorities.

I agree with you and Tony here. I don't believe he said what you think he said (not that I meant to put words in his mouth). You are right in that things like this shouldn't matter. What you wear to game shouldn't increase your odds of being targeted. But, Tony is right in that - unfortunately - they do increase your odds. I don't think Tony was really condoning it, but more just stating the fact that your odds to go up.

I agree with you and Tony here. I don't believe he said what you think he said (not that I meant to put words in his mouth). You are right in that things like this shouldn't matter. What you wear to game shouldn't increase your odds of being targeted. But, Tony is right in that - unfortunately - they do increase your odds. I don't think Tony was really condoning it, but more just stating the fact that your odds to go up.

Agree w/ FLK.... it's a sad commentary on society but hey, it's reality.

That's been my point all along. I've said on numerous occasions that the creeps who assaulted him and were bothering him and his girlfriend are the main culprits in this horrible situation. I think the problem is my dislike of wearing a rival hat to a neutral game is getting mixed into the overall point. Just because I don't like it certainly does not mean I condone in any form the harassment of an individual wearing it, and certainly do not condone violence in any form against anyone wearing said apparel.

And as I've said before, I'm fine with that. My issues were with people who were twisting my point around into something I was not saying. As for your first sentence, stop being so darn sensitive. I didn't say anything about you being "slow on the uptake". If you took it that way, that's on you. I never said your point of view was ridiculous like El Gordo did. I said you were either struggling to understand my point (which could mean I was not making my point well enough) or you were purposely ignoring or twisting it around in order to make your point. If I recall, you've had this issue with me before for being "unfair." Honestly, you seem to have quite an axe to grind with me in most threads. Regardless, disagree with me all you like as long as you keep it respectful and stay away from the woe is me crap.

Tony....I'm not being sensitive. You chose to use the word, "obtuse", which by definition means "lacking quickness of perception or intellect; characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity". That's all I'm saying. As for me having issues or previous issues with you for being "unfair", I honestly believe you have me confused with someone else. I joined back in the fall last year and have fewer that 500 posts and I don't recall ever posting anything towards you that would indicate I have an "axe to grind with you in most threads". In fact, except for this particular thread I don't think I've ever responded to any of your posts. If that's not the case, please share.

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and keep it respectful and stay away from the woe is me crap.

The thing is a disgrace. I was just saying it seems like some people look at it differently because it was in Baltimore. I think whatever hat you wear does not give the right to beat up people. Also a disgrace not one word from the Orioles. They are aware of the incident,so are alot of people in Baltimore and all over the country. Say something to the family of the guy who got hurt. Thoughts and prayers and Camden Yards is a safe and family place. The attack was in the stadium. Not at the Light Rail or the Harbor. Was in your ballpark. It has been a week and the no comment is getting old.

These reports about the guy who is fighting for his life because of wearing a yankees hat are really bothering me. There is NO excuse, EVER for hitting someone for their beliefs, the color of their skin, their differences, and certainly not for what they WEAR.

Would I rather have M&T Bank dressed in all purple during games? Of course! But if a fan dressed in a 'Fins jersey at a Ravens/Steelers game was there, nobody should punch him in the face SMH.

Look, as a football player we are part of a specific football team but then of something bigger as well...the NFL, a brotherhood of other players. Same thing with baseball fans...be a fan of your specific team, but be a part of something bigger...a brotherhood of being fans of the sport of baseball! ENJOY the rivalries, enjoy the game!

- Ray Rice, facebook

These reports about the guy who is fighting for his life because of wearing a yankees hat are really bothering me. There is NO excuse, EVER for hitting someone for their beliefs, the color of their skin, their differences, and certainly not for what they WEAR.

Would I rather have M&T Bank dressed in all purple during games? Of course! But if a fan dressed in a 'Fins jersey at a Ravens/Steelers game was there, nobody should punch him in the face SMH.

Look, as a football player we are part of a specific football team but then of something bigger as well...the NFL, a brotherhood of other players. Same thing with baseball fans...be a fan of your specific team, but be a part of something bigger...a brotherhood of being fans of the sport of baseball! ENJOY the rivalries, enjoy the game!

Ray Rice, facebook

I don't think Ray Rice is getting the point here. I am glad that Ray Rice gave me the OK to wear my 1995 Miami Dolphins starter jacket to a ravens game but IMO it was not because of the yankees hat.

It was a group of thugs that came to a game drunk, got belligerent, and verbally harrassed a fan leading to an assault.

The thing is a disgrace. I was just saying it seems like some people look at it differently because it was in Baltimore. I think whatever hat you wear does not give the right to beat up people. Also a disgrace not one word from the Orioles. They are aware of the incident,so are alot of people in Baltimore and all over the country. Say something to the family of the guy who got hurt. Thoughts and prayers and Camden Yards is a safe and family place. The attack was in the stadium. Not at the Light Rail or the Harbor. Was in your ballpark. It has been a week and the no comment is getting old.

Maybe they want to get their facts straight?

The WWE had a tribute show for Chris Benoit the night he killed and murdered his wife and child and then committed suicide, because they didn't have all the details. When the details came out that Benoit himself did these acts, they had egg on their face. Perhaps the Orioles want to get all the details straight before making any statement. I mean, they would look pretty bad if they come out saying their hearts and prayers are with this man, and then later is comes out that he did in fact instigate the actual fight part of the incident.

Just a thought.

Maybe they want to get their facts straight?

The WWE had a tribute show for Chris Benoit the night he killed and murdered his wife and child and then committed suicide, because they didn't have all the details. When the details came out that Benoit himself did these acts, they had egg on their face. Perhaps the Orioles want to get all the details straight before making any statement. I mean, they would look pretty bad if they come out saying their hearts and prayers are with this man, and then later is comes out that he did in fact instigate the actual fight part of the incident.

Just a thought.

Another thought is the possibility of litigation. To what extent could the victims family hold the Orioles responsible for the situation. Surprised we haven't heard a player or Buck or DD expressing their sympathies. Seems like a blanket gag order has been issued. Has AJ tweeted anything? Seems like he would.

Another thought is the possibility of litigation. To what extent could the victims family hold the Orioles responsible for the situation. Surprised we haven't hear a player or Buck or DD expressing their. sympathies

The fact that we haven't makes me think they've been told not to talk about it. I'd expect to hear something from someone.

We all have friends that are Yankee fans, I'm sure. I hate the Yankees. I don't hate Yankee fans. They drive me crazy when I listen to them on the radio but I wouldn't hate someone because they were wearing a Yankee hat. Maybe I'm not the typical O's fan because I don't live in the Baltimore area. Only been to one game so far this year. Tony mentioned that wearing a Yankee hat at a neutral Oriole games was like the person wearing the hat giving a big F-YOU to all the O's fans there. Now, I'm not trying to pick on Tony but that sentiment, in a way, is what this is about. It apparently pisses Tony off on some level. I'm sure it pisses other people off on some level. Most of those people don't do anything about it. These two jerks did in a very bad way. I guess I just don't get why it would piss anyone off. Is the Yankee rivalry that deeply rooted on a personal level that someone wearing a Yankee hat at any game in OPACY would piss you off?

For me, and maybe for other fans, it's because of the way Camdena Yards was taken over by the Yankees and Red Sox fans during our losing seasons and how obnoxious they while in our stadium. I absolutely despise people starting "Let's go ...." chants in other people's ball parks. To me, that's disrespectful. I know some people disagree and that's fine, but for me I find it about as irritating as it gets because I believe when you are in a visiting stadium you are in their house, so you respect them. Again,that's just me and I'm fine if I'm in the minority in this.

I dislike the fans of those teams that have come into Camden Yards and acted in various disrespectful ways. In fact, I dislike those kinds of fans more than I dislike the teams. I have friends and acquaintances that are Yankees and Red Sox fans and some are great, and others are about as obnoxious as you could expect during a game.

I think a lot of this comes from how I was taught by my high school baseball coach. We were always taught to cheer for our teammates, but never say anything bad towards are competition. We were never allowed to yell, "He's getting tired, " or "He can't throw a strike." Instead, we were taught to yell, "Make sure you get a good one" or "This has to be right in your wheelhouse" which everyone knew meant the guy was struggling was his command.

Same thing with the Army. We were always taught to respect our enemy, especially their corpses. You are not allowed to take war trophies or pictures of their bodies. They fought and died for their cause, and as long as they did it honorably, they are afforded that respect.

For me, when you wear a Yankees cap in Camden Yards during a neutral game, you are putting an unneeded target on your back because there are going to be fans like me that don't like it, and some just might end up drunken idiots who feel a need to let that person know. Me personally, I don't like it, but I'm not going to harass the guy wearing it in any way. I don't like the 350 pound woman in the tube top either, but she has a right to wear it. :D

Archived