Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

We all have friends that are Yankee fans, I'm sure. I hate the Yankees. I don't hate Yankee fans. They drive me crazy when I listen to them on the radio but I wouldn't hate someone because they were wearing a Yankee hat. Maybe I'm not the typical O's fan because I don't live in the Baltimore area. Only been to one game so far this year. Tony mentioned that wearing a Yankee hat at a neutral Oriole games was like the person wearing the hat giving a big F-YOU to all the O's fans there. Now, I'm not trying to pick on Tony but that sentiment, in a way, is what this is about. It apparently pisses Tony off on some level. I'm sure it pisses other people off on some level. Most of those people don't do anything about it. These two jerks did in a very bad way. I guess I just don't get why it would piss anyone off. Is the Yankee rivalry that deeply rooted on a personal level that someone wearing a Yankee hat at any game in OPACY would piss you off?

Good post. It really shoudn't matter what hat or team jersey anyone wears to a particular game. It's a shame that We've become such an in your face society that people would actually look at others with distain or disgust because of what they are wearing at a baseball or football game. Initially, this guy was made a target of insults and derogatory remarks because of the hat he was wearing. Tragically, the situation escalated. There is really no good reason to harrass any fan for what they are wearing, including Yankee hats at OPACY or Steelers jerseys at a Ravens Super Bowl Parade.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good post. It really shoudn't matter what hat or team jersey anyone wears to a particular game. It's a shame that We've become such an in your face society that people would actually look at others with distain or disgust because of what they are wearing at a baseball or football game. Initially, this guy was made a target of insults and derogatory remarks because of the hat he was wearing. Tragically, the situation escalated. There is really no good reason to harrass any fan for what they are wearing, including Yankee hats at OPACY or Steelers jerseys at a Ravens Super Bowl Parade.
I guess it boils down to the degree to which some people need to invest in tribal identification, and the objectification and demonizing of the other. For most of us it's a game, a nostalgic look back at the good old days when we were in the jungle. For some others we still are in the jungle.

I guess it boils down to the degree to which some people need to invest in tribal identification, and the objectification and demonizing of the other. For most of us it's a game, a nostalgic look back at the good old days when we were in the jungle. For some others we still are in the jungle.

Normally (at least in my opinion), the ones who yell the loudest are typically the ones who know the least about the game/team. They just like to get drunk and be loud to prove their toughness.

Normally (at least in my opinion), the ones who yell the loudest are typically the ones who know the least about the game/team. They just like to get drunk and be loud to prove their toughness.

Pretty much. I hate people that go out of their way to get tanked in public. I mean, okay we all like to have fun, and I have been drunk in public before, though never to the point of coming to blows with anyone and never to the point where I had no idea what was going on and I am always mindful of my surroundings.

Seriously the people that just think it is their God-given right to become a drunk slob and then everyone else just has to deal with their sloppiness is a thing that annoys the living crap out of me.

Pretty much. I hate people that go out of their way to get tanked in public. I mean, okay we all like to have fun, and I have been drunk in public before, though never to the point of coming to blows with anyone and never to the point where I had no idea what was going on and I am always mindful of my surroundings.

Seriously the people that just think it is their God-given right to become a drunk slob and then everyone else just has to deal with their sloppiness is a thing that annoys the living crap out of me.

I used to rant and rave about the idiot, drunk, "hecklers" in the left field bleachers who are more interested in being the attraction than on watching the actual game. What I discovered is that they DO in fact get lots of laughs from the younger generations. So I did the only thing I could do....I don't sit out there anymore (except during BP). I can't fight the entire social degradation of our society, so I get more expensive seats and try to get away from those types of fans. If paying $100 on Opening Day and then getting so drunk that you cannot even remember the game is considered fun, then to each their own, but I won't subject myself or my wife to it anymore!

I am glad the Orioles made a statement. I think this is the first time they have said anything.

“We are all saddened by what happened last Wednesday. Our thoughts and concerns remain with Matt and his family,” Orioles vice president of communications Greg Bader told CSNBaltimore.com.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/blog/orioles-talk/oriole-park-beating-victim-critical-condition

Like these people. Glad to see nothing changes.

Two fans sporting Dodgers gear were caught climbing into the rows behind them and fighting with a man in a Giants jersey as bottles flung towards them. According to the video's description on YouTube, the two men in blue were allegedly agitating the fans around them until the fracas finally came to blows.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/08/fans-fight-at-giants-dodgers-game-in-san-francisco_n_3238514.html

I think everyone has had their say. Regardless of where everyone stands on the issue of what he wore, at the end of the day I think we all agree that our hopes and prayers are with this guy. Here's to him having a full recovery!

I think everyone has had their say. Regardless of where everyone stands on the issue of what he wore, at the end of the day I think we all agree that our hopes and prayers are with this guy. Here's to him having a full recovery!

:agree:

AMEN! :pray::pray::pray::pray:

I am glad the Orioles made a statement. I think this is the first time they have said anything.

?We are all saddened by what happened last Wednesday. Our thoughts and concerns remain with Matt and his family,? Orioles vice president of communications Greg Bader told CSNBaltimore.com.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/blog/orioles-talk/oriole-park-beating-victim-critical-condition

Better late than never.

Bader late than never.

I doubt that's true. I'm sure there will be some kind of settlement at the very least. I have little doubt (I'm no lawyer) that the O's will be coughing up some money over this.

I should have just said my last post on this topic with the prayers, but I have to respond to this...

Which is a damn shame if you ask me.

The victim was antagonized and had a bad experience, but you know what...it happens sometimes in large crowds with people drinking alcohol. Had he not climbed the railing, he would be at home right now complaining about the drunken asses at the game, instead of fighting for his life in the hospital. Once again, I'm not saying this was his "fault" but he certainly shares some blame for escalating things. Not sure how this is the Orioles fault, but again, in our society today, they will pay for it, for sure.

Archived