How much beer do you buy at Orioles games? (Poll is anonymous)

Frobby

Ho many beers do you typically buy at an Orioles game? (Poll is anonymous)  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Ho many beers do you typically buy at an Orioles game? (Poll is anonymous)

• None
    • No more than one
    • No more than two
    • No more than three
    • Four or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't think it's a great idea to drink that much at a game. It is always nice to be able to remember the 9th inning the next day. Spending all that money on beer made me realize something. This site makes it feel like I'm at a game every day.. that's why I just joined for the plus.

Weekday standard is 4, up to 6 if its a slower game. Friend and I put down 19 total against the Yankees one Saturday night I guess 6 years ago - that's my personal record. Trick is to pee during the inevitable pitching change in the 7th. If you are smart you can see that coming and get ahead of the crowd.

When you buy season tickets ahead of time, it makes it easier to throw down $40 on beers in a night.

Considering that there are 124 16 oz beers in a half keg, at ~$7.50 each, that's $930 on a keg that is probably about $80 wholesale. I'd say they are making a pretty penny, even after the overhead.

It makes you wonder why they don't have more aggressive promotions to fill the stadium on low-demand nights, like the weekdays against the Royals or Mariners or something. You'd think just getting people in the stadium to buy beer would be a licence to print money.

From this poll the median beer consumption is between one and two, with the high end probably driving up the average. So you're probably making an average of $10 in profit off each person just in beer. That's $100k if you could just get another 10,000 people in the turnstiles with $1 or $2 promo tickets. Plus merchandise, and parking, and food...

Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe they've run the numbers and weekday beer consumption is much lower.

This was my drinking schedule for Sunday's game.

(Note: I was using public transportation)

Before leaving for the ballpark, I have two beers and a half glass of wine.

Get down to the ballpark.

Inside the park: 1x 16oz can of regular beer during the first inning. 1 more during the 5th.

4.5 to 5 drinks over the 4 odd hours between leaving for the ballpark and coming back home.

I always thought it was funny that they let you drink for 7.5 innings and sober up for 1.5...

just sounds like drunk math to me :noidea:

Also see alot of people when they last call in the seventh, get about four beers to last the rest of the game. I see alot of people that pay no attention to the game and drink and eat. You would ask them what is going on in the game and they have no idea.

Also see alot of people when they last call in the seventh, get about four beers to last the rest of the game. I see alot of people that pay no attention to the game and drink and eat. You would ask them what is going on in the game and they have no idea.

I was at the US-Germany friendly (soccer) at RFK on Sunday. 47000+ there, a sellout. Probably the only US national team game in DC all year, maybe the only time in a decade the German team would be in Washington. About two minutes before the half I went to find some drinks and cotton candy for my kids. At that point, with the game going on, not even halftime yet, the lines for the beer vendors were easily 50 deep. People were probably waiting a half hour or more for beer during a soccer game that's two hours, including halftime. There were probably a lot of folks who paid almost $100 to get into a game so they could spend half of the game in line to buy $10 beers. And this is RFK - 50 year old stadium where there are few/no TVs under the stands, the lines are snaking down the ramps and through cramped concourses, so you literally cannot see any of the game while in line.

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

YoVending of alcohol in the stands will conclude at the end of the 7th inning, or three hours after the scheduled first pitch, whichever comes first. Concession stand sales of alcohol will be terminated at the end of the 8th inning, or three and a half hours after the scheduled first pitch, whichever comes first. All vendors require a valid state or government-issued ID for the purchase and consumption of alcohol within the park. There is a limit of two alcoholic beverages per person, per transaction with valid ID. The Orioles, as well as our vending and concessions partners, reserve the right to refuse sale/service of beverages to anyone who appears to be intoxicated or is without valid ID. Vertical IDs are now accepted.

You can buy beer until the 8th inning. Also never seen a person refused beer.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=guide

It makes you wonder why they don't have more aggressive promotions to fill the stadium on low-demand nights, like the weekdays against the Royals or Mariners or something. You'd think just getting people in the stadium to buy beer would be a licence to print money.

From this poll the median beer consumption is between one and two, with the high end probably driving up the average. So you're probably making an average of $10 in profit off each person just in beer. That's $100k if you could just get another 10,000 people in the turnstiles with $1 or $2 promo tickets. Plus merchandise, and parking, and food...

Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe they've run the numbers and weekday beer consumption is much lower.

Well I think that is why they have college night. Other cheap ticket buyers might be too cheap to buy beer and they might not buy food or pay for parking. Last year when they had the throw back ticket prices no one in the section I was in was buying food or beer. If you can't afford 9 bucks for the cheapest ticket, how are you going to afford 8.50 for a beer?

Plus you're not (legally) allowed to bring beer into the stadium, correct?

I buy a soda outside for a buck, then buy an extremely greasy and unhealthy italian sausage inside for 6 bucks.

LOVE them sausages! Peppers and onions and a gallon of mustard! YUM!

Archived