If Chris Davis hits 62?

Trackmaster

Yes, I know, it's very unlikely, even though he's on pace to hit about 59 or 60 now. But if he did, I wonder if people will give him the respect that he's due in the media in the record books. I mean, technically, it would be the MLB record in a non-steroids aided aided year, the only people to have ever exceeded 61 have been Bonds, McGuire, and Sosa. If nothing else, it would be the AL record.

However, if he keeps this up, I could see a 140+ walk season for him, so his at-bats might be scarce.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno, I thought he'd have slowed down by now but he just keeps hitting them. At this point I don't see why he can't make a run. He's been consistent. I think he can hit two more in Houston this week. I know they've been playing better but it's not like their pitching is amazing by any stretch.

He's still a long way off. He's got to hit 30 more before by the end of August to have a good shot at 60.

Fun to think about though. Can't remember the last time the Orioles had a true slugger like this about to hit his prime.

The respect he is due in the media? This is his first full season in the field. I am confused by that statement. Sometimes I feel like the Orioles and Ravens are the same team on here.

I just have never heard Chris Davis not be respected in the media. In fact, I have heard nothing but praise in the national media about Chris Davis.

People would suspect PEDs. It isn't like Davis doesn't have the body type. For the record, I think he is probably clean as he seems to have been this size as long as I can remember.

Exactly. A decent amount of people are never going to believe that anyone is clean anymore. McGwire, Sosa and Bonds destroyed and tarnished what was once the most revered record in sports. It's a shame, but it's the world in which we now live.

However, if he keeps this up, I could see a 140+ walk season for him, so his at-bats might be scarce.

Davis is on pace for 80 walks or so, which is about double his previous career high. That includes being on pace for about 20 IBBs. He'd have to start getting intentionally walked at a Bondsian rate to even approach 140. For a guy who still strikes out about once every 4.5 PAs that would be pretty crazy. It never made sense to walk Bonds himself anything like that often.

My guess is that he ends up well short of 100 walks.

People would suspect PEDs. It isn't like Davis doesn't have the body type. For the record, I think he is probably clean as he seems to have been this size as long as I can remember.

I think that you are right. I think that he is very clean. He got upset with himself when he broke a bat over his knee after striking out because he felt that he set a bad example by losing his temper in front of a crowd. He appears to be a nice guy with a great attitude. He seems to put the team first and is very humble. His twitter is loaded with scripture verses on how to be a better person. I think that he lives his life by what he puts on his twitter, hardwork and integrity. He just quietly goes about his business and looks like he just enjoys playing the game. All those things do not make Davis perfect, but he does have a character profile that I believe make it less likely that Davis is on PEDs. Davis is a rare player and the O's are blessed to have him on this team.

After posting this, I went over to Davis' twitter and he had the following two tweets for Saturday and Sunday. They actually fit what I wrote. As an professional baseball player it is probably a constant battle to stay humble, etc., and Davis probably post these in his twitter to keep himself accountable. Here are the tweets and a link to his twitter account.

"May integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you." Psalms 25:21 NLT

"For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." Matthew 23:12 NIV

http://twitter.com/ChrisDavis_19

If he was 36, maybe I could see it. I think he's just really strong, and finally closed some holes in his swing

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

Uninformed people might think PEDs but he has shown this type of power in the minors so its not unheard of for him.

Uninformed people might think PEDs but he has shown this type of power in the minors so its not unheard of for him.

Devils advocate: how do you know he was clean in the minors?

Semi-contrarian POV: PEDs <> home runs. Most players caught using PEDs were marginal players without big home run seasons, or generic pitchers.

The record is 73. There's no asterisk. In 2001 Barry Bonds hit 73 home runs. It happened, there's no erasing it.

I count Babe Ruth's 29 homers as the all time record. Anything from 1920-on gets an asterisk because of the jackrabbit ball and the spitball ban and bandbox fences. Real men should have to hit a soggy, tobacco-stained baseball over a 550 foot fence with only their hay bale lifting muscles to get a jog around the bases.

Archived