Roch contradicts OH report

fearthenoodle

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get it. Wasn't yesterday hall of fame day?

Heard Goose on Mike and Mike this morning. MLB flew him into New York, either late last night or early today, for a big press conference. So, yeah, today is his day in the spotlight. Much like the playoffs, the league offices don't like teams announcing deals during a major event.

anybody think that this leak could potentially kill the deal in place?

Not sure that it'd kill it, but I am starting to wonder if posting this insider info is a good thing in the end. Not that I'm bashing bigbird or am anything but thankful for what they contribute, but if posting this insider info throws a wrench in the gears, I think I'd rather stay in the dark until an O's official announces something.

I will probably take some heat on here for this but Roch's comments lit a fire under me as to how we view our inside information and sources.

The other day, I had a buddy of mine that heard a comment on a sports talk radio show mentioning the idea that die hard fan Tom Hanks may have interest in going in on a purchase of the O's. I posted a "hey did anyone else here this....wouldn't it be cool if...." post about it and the thread got shut down and I basically got b-slapped for it.

So today everyone is going nuts about sources and insiders saying B-Rob is traded and nothing is official, and we aren't 100% how credible anything is but everyone is sold on it like that. Now we may end up looking like fools. Isn't that was this board is about though?; trying to sort through rumors and hearsay and opinions? Thats what makes it fun.

I love the insider info on here, and I get as excited about it as anyone, and I am not putting it down by any means. Maybe its bc I'm still a newb, but I thought the Hanks comment was something cool to discuss and it got locked out, discussion over.

Anyway, I felt burned the other day and it upset me, and I'm not crying hypocrite on the mods or anything but I just wanted to make a point I guess

I think your Hanks thread was shut down because it was baseless. A friend told a friend he was texted by a friend who heard it on sports radio. I don't think anyone would really buy that. The insiders have proven themselves, and they aren't telling them what a friend saw on ESPN's news ticker. They have contacts who work within the organization. Quite a bit of a difference.

I will probably take some heat on here for this but Roch's comments lit a fire under me as to how we view our inside information and sources.

The other day' date=' I had a buddy of mine that heard a comment on a sports talk radio show mentioning the idea that die hard fan Tom Hanks may have interest in going in on a purchase of the O's. I posted a "hey did anyone else here this....wouldn't it be cool if...." post about it and the thread got shut down and I basically got b-slapped for it.

So today everyone is going nuts about sources and insiders saying B-Rob is traded and nothing is official, and we aren't 100% how credible anything is but everyone is sold on it like that. Now we may end up looking like fools. Isn't that was this board is about though?; trying to sort through rumors and hearsay and opinions? Thats what makes it fun.

[b']I love the insider info on here, and I get as excited about it as anyone, and I am not putting it down by any means. Maybe its bc I'm still a newb, but I thought the Hanks comment was something cool to discuss and it got locked out, discussion over.[/b]

Anyway, I felt burned the other day and it upset me, and I'm not crying hypocrite on the mods or anything but I just wanted to make a point I guess

It's all about "provenance."

By your own description your information was a fourth- or-fifth generation repeat of something that might have been said on the radio. Basically watercooler chat.

You can't compare that to the sources that have been vetted here.

I wasn't comparing it to "insider" info, and it was water cooler chat, the intent was to start a discussion about who future owners could be and if anyone had heard what I heard. The point was that, insider or not, nothing is a given and nothing is 100% true until its official. The cool thing about a forum is discusing rumors and "what if's" to go along with insider info. I just felt really burned by locking of that thread

I wasn't comparing it to "insider" info' date=' and it was water cooler chat, the intent was to start a discussion about who future owners could be and if anyone had heard what I heard. The point was that, insider or not, nothing is a given and nothing is 100% true until its official. The cool thing about a forum is discusing rumors and "what if's" to go along with insider info. I just felt really burned by locking of that thread[/quote']

If you would have simply posted:

"Who would you like to see buy the Orioles? I think Tom Hanks would be interesting."

Then the thread would have been fine. Because you prefaced it with shady information the point was altered.

That makes sense. I just got an email that the names coming in might not be what has been reported. Also...told two more deals in the works and are close to completion.

Interesting info and surprised this thread didnt grow so huge considering a few insiders posted info in this thread.

We know Bedard is probably one of the other deals but wonder who is the third deal that could be close to completion. Maybe Payton or Millar since they have reportedly gotten the most interest out of the guys we want to dump.

I also wonder who we could flip Marshall for, based on the info from Bigbird's earlier post.

I would love to see a few of these trades go down at roughly the same time. There is still a lot of shaping of this roster that is being done. AM certainly cannot wait a week between trades anymore, he doesn't have the time. I wonder when we will start to see teams start to be content with what they have, especially as it comes to position players. Would love to see data on the frequency of trades by date.

On the other hand I think holding on to some of these pitchers for a little bit might be to our advantage. There is certain to be a few pitchers that either flop or get injured in spring training that teams were counting on to be competitive (C.I.P. Carpenter). I would think holding on to someone like Marshall, who has had relative success in the majors, until then and then trading him on the high could be good.

I hope McPhail can play a mean game of chess, because if he messes these next few moves up I fear its checkmate for the O's

Archived