I think Dan Duquette has done a great job, but...

GoldGlove21

It is even better to scout smarter AND throw money around.

True. But from all indications the Orioles have never been a team able or willing to do that. I've seen improvements from the international scouting department since John Stockstill started scouting internationally under the McPhail regime. Of course adding legendary Fred Ferreira certainly did hurt either.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Orioles don't really sign teenagers from Latin America. You see all these young hispanic born players in the league. Where's ours?

They have two teams full of Latin American players in the Dominican Summer League and bunch more in the Gulf Coast League. You can argue about whether they go after high dollar Latin American guys, but let's not act like they are ignoring Latin America.

Yes. Urruita was signed for 775K. We weren't serious players for Puig, Cespedes, or Chapman, players where competition by other teams was actually present and where it took big contracts to sign them. We signed Wada and Chen, and were not players for Darvish, the big money guy. That is what Duquette is saying. We are looking for "value".

It's OK with me to look for "value," so long as we actually find it. If Urrutia actually turns out to be a good major league player, that will count for a lot with me.

Wasn't there several years between these contracts, and if I remember that 65 million for Belle was top dollar then.

Wasn't 275 million for A-Rod, the big money standard.

I agree that 72 is a dang big amount of money in my book, but compared to market value of others.

Well, giving $275 million to any player would be a bad idea. Is the suggestion here that the Orioles should be more like the Angels? No thanks, I'll pass on that.

What I'd like to see the Orioles do is sign more players in the mid-level range. I don't think we need $100 million contracts to win a world championship. I do think that we need to be more aggressive in the FA market, but that doesn't mean we have to blow up the budget in order to win.

Well, giving $275 million to any player would be a bad idea. Is the suggestion here that the Orioles should be more like the Angels? No thanks, I'll pass on that.

What I'd like to see the Orioles do is sign more players in the mid-level range. I don't think we need $100 million contracts to win a world championship. I do think that we need to be more aggressive in the FA market, but that doesn't mean we have to blow up the budget in order to win.

I agree that 275 to a single player is not a good idea.

It would be nice to see them more aggressive in the FA market, but I believe DD has limitations on him, by the owner, in that regards.

I agree that 275 to a single player is not a good idea.

It would be nice to see them more aggressive in the FA market, but I believe DD has limitations on him, by the owner, in that regards.

Every GM has some limitations by the owner. The teams with least limitations: the Angels and the Dodgers seem to be doing pretty poorly. I think DD wants to avoid big contracts for unproven players and big contracts for guys that will likely decline. We have one contract on the team for a player that we cannot trade because of it and he will be gone after this season. So there is a plus side to this.

Yes. Urruita was signed for 775K. We weren't serious players for Puig, Cespedes, or Chapman, players where competition by other teams was actually present and where it took big contracts to sign them. We signed Wada and Chen, and were not players for Darvish, the big money guy. That is what Duquette is saying. We are looking for "value".

If we had signed Yoenis Cespedes everyone would complaining about what a terrible signing it was on the board every day after the season he is having.

On the bright side, this was an organization that wouldn't spend over $25,000 on a player up until about 3-5 years ago. McPhail was able to get that ceiling broken a bit and Duquette was able to get guys like Chen, Wada, and Urrutia to deals so there is some improvement. Saying that, it's doubtful the Orioles will be in the market for the million dollar plus international players that have not played in a major league or competition (Japan or international competition).

There is a valid argument that a lot of international players, especially from the Dominican are over paid by some teams. A quick look through the BA Baseball Prospect book over the years will show prospect lists littered with million dollar Dominican bonus babies that never made it out of AA. Of course we can say the same thing about the 1st round of the Amateur draft as well. Players like Schoop (Curacao) and Rodriguez (Venezuela) were not huge money signings yet they are among the organization's best prospects.

That's why Duquette said it's better to scout smarter than just throw money around.

He essentially seems to be continuing MacPhail's international strategy. Which is fine imo because it's one I always supported.

I have a feeling he won't be criticized as highly for it though.

If we had signed Yoenis Cespedes everyone would complaining about what a terrible signing it was on the board every day after the season he is having.

Was just about to come in and post something about this.

Matt Wieters: .232/.291/.408/.699 31xbh (19 2B, 12 HR)

Yoenis Cespedes: .225/.293/.420/.713 28 xbh (11 2B, 2 3B, 15 HR)

Keep in mind, MW plays a premium defensive position well above average.

I would love to have Cespedes on the team, but some food for thought.

He essentially seems to be continuing MacPhail's international strategy. Which is fine imo because it's one I always supported.

AM had issues with how things were done in Latin America. DD, by all appearances, is operating with a limited budget.

I think the higher dollar signings may come, but I think DD has a multi-year plan in place that he wasn't going to stray from due to premature success. I get the sense that he wants to build pipelines and a deep system. Signing a cespedes in 2011 (or pre-2012) wouldn't have been prudent as he'd be gone right around when the team would be entering its window on the DD path to success.

Archived