Orioles in the Arizona Fall League (AFL), 2013

stef

Schoop is heading home for a few days, due to a death in his family. He will be back next week.

In a hitter's league, Alvarez isn't (.213). But he doesn't strike out much.

Kline, in 2IP, had 4Ks and 0BBs on the 30th. That followed two poor outings.

Ohlman made his first start at catcher on the 30th. He was charged with an error (throw), there were 2 SBs and 3 WPs. Just reporting.

Good grief. Can Ohlman throw the ball back to the pitcher at least?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good grief. Can Ohlman throw the ball back to the pitcher at least?

Well, it looks like he threw it away going for the second out at first. From the game log:

Salt River Top of the 2nd

Tim Wheeler singles on a line drive to right fielder Mitch Haniger.

Richie Shaffer walks. Tim Wheeler to 2nd.

Cristhian Adames walks. Tim Wheeler to 3rd. Richie Shaffer to 2nd.

Mike Freeman grounds into a force out, pitcher Will Lamb to catcher Michael Ohlman. Tim Wheeler out at home. Richie Shaffer scores. Cristhian Adames to 3rd. Mike Freeman advances to 1st, on a throwing error by catcher Michael Ohlman.

Luke Maile out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Tyler Naquin. Cristhian Adames scores.

With Kenny Wilson batting, Mike Freeman steals (3) 2nd base.

Kenny Wilson lines out to right fielder Mitch Haniger.

He hadn't caught in a while, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
Michael Ohlman with a 3 run homer and a walk today. In half as many AB's he now has more doubles, homers, walks, and RBI than Schoop and half as many strikeouts. I'm not saying he's a better prospect by any means but he has clearly outperformed him in the AFL this year. Schoop did much better in the same league last year. I wonder if he got homer happy. Sure looks like it with 3 homers and no other extra base hits.

I wonder if Ohlman takes a step forward this year.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Spitting image of Troy Glaus.  He is a large human being.
    • I'm far from a swing expert,  but I really feel that swing is going to translate incredibly well to big league pitching.  His hands are quick as hell, compact when slapping gappers, and extends just enough when he launches missiles out of AAA stadiums.  You don't see that with big guys often.
    • To say that Miller has had a significant arm injury would be, to me, the same as saying Bradish has had a significant arm injury. Would you agree?
    • Mullins is a CF, Miller is a closer who has already had a significant arm injury. The two are not equivalent.  Basically they would want to trade him (given the high probability of pitcher’s injuries) if/before something happens to him.
    • I’d like to see Kjerstad start tomorrow with righty Hunter Greene on the mound. Kjerstad started for Santander Wednesday so pretty much no chance Santander gets another day of rest this fast so I could see a scenario where Kjerstad plays for Cowser who has been ice cold the past week+ both offensively and defensively. Reds have a small park so it’s not as if Kjerstad would have to cover a ton of extra ground if he was to start in left.  
    • Yeah that's a good point about trading Miller for as much as possible -- implying quantity as well as quality.  What if the A's trade for Basallo and he turns out to be as mediocre as the start to this season?  The O's will probably trade more players if they don't have to trade one of Mayo or Basallo, and as deep as our farm system is quantity and quality should be able to be had together.  But if the A's ask for one of the top 3 guys they have to accept they won't get much of anyone else -- if anyone else.  More players from a deep system increases the chance of multiple quality players. Defense is important to everyone.  I can't remember the last time the O's had so many good hitting prospects with such questionable defense.  But there were many years I was not paying attention, so maybe it's not such a new thing.
    • The age is a problem for the A’s because they are not ready to win now and he is already at his prime years. This is the whole reason that they would be reading a 25 yr old Miller. The future is what they are building toward.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now