Orioles turning attention to Fernando Rodney

oldbird

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought you might be right, so I looked up the numbers on baseball reference for Hunter, Jim Johnson, and Grant Balfour pitching on zero days rest. Hunter had the least amount of data but all three had strikingly similar numbers against.

Hunter has the least amount of data because Buck doesn't think that he can physically handle throwing in back to back games on a consistent basis. Or at least that's what he thought last season. Maybe with a full year in the bullpen under his belt Hunter can become more acclimated to the rhythm of being a late-inning reliever.

• 3 weeks later...

Slow O's news day, but here is a Rodney update:

https://twitter.com/Enrique_Rojas1/status/422432757092868096

@Enrique_Rojas1

"Fernando Rodney debut in Dominican League set for tuesday. Maybe he has agreed to deal in MLB, too. #JustSaying"

This is probably just speculation, but Rojas may have some inside info. FWIW I replied and asked if Baltimore was Rodney's most likely destination and Rojas replied, "very good chance".

Slow O's news day, but here is a Rodney update:

https://twitter.com/Enrique_Rojas1/status/422432757092868096

@Enrique_Rojas1

"Fernando Rodney debut in Dominican League set for tuesday. Maybe he has agreed to deal in MLB, too. #JustSaying"

This is probably just speculation, but Rojas may have some inside info. FWIW I replied and asked if Baltimore was Rodney's most likely destination and Rojas replied, "very good chance".

That was a good direct question to ask him. Well done.

If I had a young guy that needed the reps yes, if I had a 37 year old making 10 million, no.

I highly doubt Rodney gets 10M, but I hear what you are saying.

On the other hand, why would Rodney risk getting injured and potentially miss out on a big pay day?

If he's pitching in the Dominican, he's not taking his physical.

Well he doesn't debut until Tuesday. He could have taken one this weekend or last week sometime. Maybe the Orioles or another team announces a deal tomorrow.

I don't think Rodney needs to audition and I don't think what he does in the next few weeks will make a difference one way or the other. He still had a pretty good season last year even though he didn't do as well as in 2012.

Rodney is not my first choice, but I know Dan and/or Buck want their experienced closer. The Orioles are probably Rodney's best option unless he wants to pitch out in Seattle.

Archived