Orioles turning attention to Fernando Rodney

oldbird

"The O's" don't believe in the posting system as I'm sure you already knew. So, Tanaka is left only to the dreamers.

AJ would be a nice addition.

Yes, I'm painfully aware of that position. It makes absolutely zero sense, but ce la vie, hence my #2 selection of Burnett.

I expect neither. Both are cost efficient deals however. Many might not see the value in paying for Tanaka, but how many 24 year old FA are on the market with his talent? There won't be any either unless there is a mass exodus away from what is currently the CBA when it's renegotiated.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy Hunter is a fine matchup pitcher, but there is absolutely no way that someone with that large of a platoon split can be an effective closer. He makes the average lefty hitter look like David Ortiz. Teams will just clear their bench off whenever the 9th inning rolls around. Going into 2014 with Tommy Hunter as the designated closer is like booking a suite on the Titanic.

I simply don't understand why people keep bring up Garza?

1) He's not that good, Good stuff, head case

2) He will be the most sought after SP after Tanaka, way too expensive for PA

He has pitched pretty well throughout his career. If it was between him on a 4 year deal and Burnett on a 1 year deal, I would say Burnett - and I agree that PA won't pony up - but Garza has proven himself an above average pitcher.

Hunter's basically the 3rd option (4th, if you count JJ). Even they don't seem to really to truly have a whole lot of confidence in him doing the job. If cutting JJ was about saving money, and Hunter was as good a closer as JJ, Balfour, or Rodney, at a salary of under $2mil, that would've been the move from the beginning.

Hunter's basically the 3rd option (4th, if you count JJ). Even they don't seem to really to truly have a whole lot of confidence in him doing the job. If cutting JJ was about saving money, and Hunter was as good a closer as JJ, Balfour, or Rodney, at a salary of under $2mil, that would've been the move from the beginning.

Heck, if Tommy was a viable option as a starter we could have just kept Johnson and interchanged their salaries. $10mil is a lot for a closer but not bad for a starter. $2mil is good for either, but I guess we'll just have to play the hand we've been dealt.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Free-agent reliever Chris Perez, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Dodgers&src=hash">#Dodgers</a> in agreement on one-year deal, pending a physical. Perez is taking his physical today.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not new thread worthy since he wasn't really a target. By the way, I guess we should get used to that "pending a physical" disclaimer now....even if it is already pretty common.

Archived