Orioles turning attention to Fernando Rodney

oldbird

Clearly you underestimate the singular value of the closer for the competitive baseball team.

You're a stat guy, right? If they O's score Rodney, assuming past performance, he should be worth at least ten more wins for the O's, right? :P

It's kind of like adding a big, heavy spoiler and a bunch of stickers to a otherwise slow and stock car. Suddenly, just like that, you gain a ton of extra horsepower. ;)

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are NOT getting Rodney. I'm not getting duped again.

Yup are off season will be Lough.

93 wins- Sign Nate that's it

85 wins- Trade for Lough

I see 75 wins in 2014.

"I understand that Mr. Rodney is not what you're looking for Mr. Duquette, and frankly, that makes perfect sense."

"If I could, and I know you came in here looking for a closer today, but If I could just walk you over to our starting pitcher section and introduce to you, Mr. Garza. Now, I know his price is out of the range you confided to me, but, if you'll take a look at his numbers, I feel he is exactly what your team is looking for and in need of."

"I understand that Mr. Rodney is not what you're looking for Mr. Duquette, and frankly, that makes perfect sense."

"If I could, and I know you came in here looking for a closer today, but If I could just walk you over to our starting pitcher section and introduce to you, Mr. Garza. Now, I know his price is out of the range you confided to me, but, if you'll take a look at his numbers, I feel he is exactly what your team is looking for and in need of."

1. Masahiro Tanaka

2. AJ Burnett

So Hunter as the heir apparent, eh? Okay...let's review the offseason so far:

1) We traded Jim Johnson to save a couple of million bucks and thanks to healthy doses of moving-too-slowly and Murphy's Law, the bullpen is probably now worse than it was at the end of last year.

2) We let Nate McLouth walk without even making an offer and sat on our hands while every mid-tier free agent hitter that could have potentially helped us signed elsewhere(Morneau, Jones, Hart, Morse, Kubel, etc.) and several decent trade targets exchanged hands at pretty reasonable values(Morrison, Fowler, Seth Smith, etc.). It's also probably worth noting that we reportedly balked at adding Ethier or Kemp in a potential deal with the Dodgers for Jim Johnson, although both of those players have notable faults or risks attached to them. Ultimately, we are left with a lineup that is basically unimproved over last year's and very possibly worse. Barring a surprise trade for a player like Billy Butler or DD panicking and signing Cruz or Morales, this appears to be a case of "too late to change it now."

3) We let Feldman walk without even making an offer and have made it pretty clear that we are unwilling to spend real money on a quality starter unless it is on our very narrow terms, which has basically left us in the position of "Burnett or bust." As of now, the rotation is worse than the one that ended the season for us, and if Burnett is not brought into the organization(for whatever reason), it's difficult for me to see how we'll be able to improve our single biggest area of concern before Spring Training.

The only area where we've clearly, objectively improved is our defense and if Lough's second half offensive struggles continue into the new season(.685 OPS in the second half), he may not hit well enough to justify regular playing time. Now I'm not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative, and I've been a huge DD supporter thus far, but it's looking more and more like he's going to need to summon a genuine miracle from out of the aether to turn this mess into a successful offseason.

So Hunter as the heir apparent, eh? Okay...let's review the offseason so far:

1) We traded Jim Johnson to save a couple of million bucks and thanks to healthy doses of moving-too-slowly and Murphy's Law, the bullpen is probably now worse than it was at the end of last year.

2) We let Nate McLouth walk without even making an offer and sat on our hands while every mid-tier free agent hitter that could have potentially helped us signed elsewhere(Morneau, Jones, Hart, Morse, Kubel, etc.) and several decent trade targets exchanged hands at pretty reasonable values(Morrison, Fowler, Seth Smith, etc.). It's also probably worth noting that we reportedly balked at adding Ethier or Kemp in a potential deal with the Dodgers for Jim Johnson, although both of those players have notable faults or risks attached to them. Ultimately, we are left with a lineup that is basically unimproved over last year's and very possibly worse. Barring a surprise trade for a player like Billy Butler or DD panicking and signing Cruz or Morales, this appears to be a case of "too late to change it now."

3) We let Feldman walk without even making an offer and have made it pretty clear that we are unwilling to spend real money on a quality starter unless it is on our very narrow terms, which has basically left us in the position of "Burnett or bust." As of now, the rotation is worse than the one that ended the season for us, and if Burnett is not brought into the organization(for whatever reason), it's difficult for me to see how we'll be able to improve our single biggest area of concern before Spring Training.

The only area where we've clearly, objectively improved is our defense and if Lough's second half offensive struggles continue into the new season(.685 OPS in the second half), he may not hit well enough to justify regular playing time. Now I'm not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative, and I've been a huge DD supporter thus far, but it's looking more and more like he's going to need to summon a genuine miracle from out of the aether to turn this mess into a successful offseason.

disapoint486.gif

You're a stat guy, right? If they O's score Rodney, assuming past performance, he should be worth at least ten more wins for the O's, right? :P

It's kind of like adding a big, heavy spoiler and a bunch of stickers to a otherwise slow and stock car. Suddenly, just like that, you gain a ton of extra horsepower. ;)

And for a moment I was worried the calibration on your sarcasm meter was in need of adjustment.

Okay...let's review the offseason so far:

We let Feldman walk without even making an offer and have made it pretty clear that we are unwilling to spend real money on a quality starter unless it is on our very narrow terms, which has basically left us in the position of "Burnett or bust." As of now, the rotation is worse than the one that ended the season for us, and if Burnett is not brought into the organization(for whatever reason), it's difficult for me to see how we'll be able to improve our single biggest area of concern before Spring Training.

Brian Matusz says hello.

1. Masahiro Tanaka

2. AJ Burnett

"The O's" don't believe in the posting system as I'm sure you already knew. So, Tanaka is left only to the dreamers.

AJ would be a nice addition.

A "big three" of Garza, Tillman, AJ + would be amazing. Or more realistically, a "big two" of Garza or AJ + Tillman would sure perk everyone (ok most of us) up around here.

But first, the O's must continue to focus their undivided attention to the all important closer opening first.

And for a moment I was worried the calibration on your sarcasm meter was in need of adjustment.

It worked like a charm this time. But it's only a matter of time before all of our sarcasm meters eventually let us down, when talking on a message board.

Archived