Monica Pence Barlow RIP

Greg

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, just two years older than I am.

One of my office's former assistants was faced with a similar situation. Relatively young, very healthy non-smoker who was mysteriously stricken by lung cancer. Thankfully, she's still around to fight the battle, but I'd be lying if it didn't scare the hell out of me. (Especially for a hypochondriac like myself)

Prayers go out to her family.

Very sad news

Some quotes

Peter Angelos

"It was with deep sadness that I learned of Monica's passing this morning. In her 14 years with the club, she was a beloved member of the Orioles family, starting as an intern and becoming Director of Public Relations. Over the past four and a half years, the work Monica did to raise awareness and funds for cancer research was a testament to her dedication to helping others. The strength and resiliency she displayed by not letting her illness define her was a great inspiration to all who knew her. Her loss will be felt deeply by not only our front office staff, but also our manager, players and coaches, with whom she worked on a daily basis. On behalf of the club, I extend my condolences to her husband, Ben; her parents, Wayne and Ramona Pence; her brother, Jonah; her sister, Natalie; and her family and friends."

Buck

"We lost a feather from the Oriole today. Monica embodied everything we strive to be about. Her passion, loyalty, and tenacity set a great example for everyone in the organization. She was so courageous in continuing to do her job the last few years despite her pain. This is an especially tough day for those of us that worked with her on a daily basis. It was a blessing to have her in my life; she made our jobs so much easier. We won't be able to replace Monica, we will only try to carry on. I am going to miss her as a colleague and a friend. She was a rock."

Guest rochester

Wow.... she touched so many just in our group. It is obvious that all that met or knew her were blessed - a loss that all of us that didn't know her feel. Prayers.

Monica was a true professional before and throughout her ordeal. She was always responsive and I'm glad the last thing I said to her last year in the lockeroom was to wish her well. Although that obviously did not happen, I hope she knew we were all pulling for her.

She was way too young and my thoughts and prayers go out to her immediate family, Orioles family and friends.

I am deeply saddned by this.

Personal anecdote, if you don't mind. In April 2012, at age 52, I decided it would be an interesting idea to become a first-time father of triplet boys. Two months after they were born, my father died suddenly. I started thinking that it was important that the babies to have a least one time at OPACY with the (truly) old man, in case something similar happened to me.

Well, the triplet stroller we had at the time basically required a truck driver's license to operate. I was concerned that the Orioles would have restrictions about taking the stroller to the park, even if we hung out in the Flag Court. I asked Tony and Weams if they had any advice, and as usual, they came through. They suggested I contact Monica.

What a wonderful woman. She heard the tale of woe, and put the whole tribe up in a suite not being used the day of the game. The boys were able to watch a Thursday afternoon, 14-inning win against Tampa Bay. The Oriole personnel could not have been nicer. Monica could not have been sweeter. What an extraordinary gesture. I will never, ever forget that afternoon.

We stayed in touch from time to time, and I understood things were not going well for her.

Hope I didn't bore everybody, but I am very sad. A kind, wonderful lady.

Personal anecdote, if you don't mind. In April 2012, at age 52, I decided it would be an interesting idea to become a first-time father of triplet boys. Two months after they were born, my father died suddenly. I started thinking that it was important that the babies to have a least one time at OPACY with the (truly) old man, in case something similar happened to me.

Well, the triplet stroller we had at the time basically required a truck driver's license to operate. I was concerned that the Orioles would have restrictions about taking the stroller to the park, even if we hung out in the Flag Court. I asked Tony and Weams if they had any advice, and as usual, they came through. They suggested I contact Monica.

What a wonderful woman. She heard the tale of woe, and put the whole tribe up in a suite not being used the day of the game. The boys were able to watch a Thursday afternoon, 14-inning win against Tampa Bay. The Oriole personnel could not have been nicer. Monica could not have been sweeter. What an extraordinary gesture. I will never, ever forget that afternoon.

We stayed in touch from time to time, and I understood things were not going well for her.

The Hangout is blessed to have many of these stories of Monica's kindness. She really did look out for kids.

Thanks for sharing! Like someone said earlier...so many people hear 'Orioles front office' and envision 'Peter the Terrible'. There really are a few GREAT people behind the scenes at The Warehouse. Monica was a prime example. She was always quick to respond and treated me, the guy from this little website swimming amongst the beat writers, with the same class and respect as everyone else. Her attitude throughout her fight with cancer was remarkable and inspiring. She'll be sadly missed. Rest in peace, Monica.

It's a sad day for my wife and I.

In 2012, my wife and I had momo twin boys that were eight weeks premature. They spent a month in the NICU. Shortly after our boys came home, Monica Barlow reached out to us. She had heard about them, and wanted to send them a package from the Orioles. A few days later, we received a package of Orioles clothes, baby toys and other collectibles from Monica Barlow and the Orioles. It was such a kind and thoughtful gesture from her. At the time, we had no idea she was going through so much in her own life. Even with everything going on, she still went out of her way to give gifts to our boys. Shortly after receiving the package, we sent her a package of the boys with their things and a "Thank you" message. She responded saying that she was really happy that everyone was doing so well. We'll never forget what she did for us. Just a really sad day. She'll be missed.

4tiYxgm.png?1

Archived