2014 New York Yankees

OFFNY

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tanaka threw 25 pitches from 60 feet yesterday. While he said he didn't feel any discomfort, I get the feeling that they are postponing the inevitable.

I wouldn't even call them pitches. That was about as soft a lob toss as you can possibly get. Like he was playing catch with his 2 year old son or something.

Tanaka threw 25 pitches from 60 feet yesterday. While he said he didn't feel any discomfort, I get the feeling that they are postponing the inevitable.

The Yankee fans at work are not relieved. They pointed out he was playing catch from 60 feet.

One asked me about football season. :mwahaha:

o

3 out of 4 wins over the Tigers keeps the Yankees within a reasonable distance of the Orioles, although I don't think that they will get closer than (at most) 2 or 3 games the rest of the way.

Partially because I believe that the Orioles have evolved from a slightly-above average team into a very good team over the course of the season.

Partially because I believe that the Yankees continue to be (at best) a slightly-above average team, as they have been the entire season (straddling between average and slightly-above average the entire way.)

JMHO, and I HATE THE Skanks worse then any MLB team, but I NEVER under estimate them. As crippled as they are right now they have run off a team record of one run wins, and me thinks this board maybe writing them OFF WAY TOO EASY.

Like I said in a thread below they are the TEAM I am watching in the rear view mirror very closely. ;)

I have put this information on threads before, but it bears repeating for those not that aware of history.

Since 1982, we have won the season series against the Yankees 2 times (1987, 1997). That is 2 times in 31 years. I believe we have tied them 2 times as well, meaning our record for season series against them is 2-27-2 over that stretch. That is actually ridiculous, as I am not sure that any team can match that run against any other opponent.

Since 1997, we have finished ahead of them in the standings exactly zero times. Last year, we had the same record but lost the season series so technically we were below them. We also finished below them from 1993-1996. So that is 1 time in 21 years where we had the upper hand. Even in 1997, we were a great team that led wire to wire and they still damn nearly caught us.

The Yankees all-time winning percentage at Camden Yards is around 63-65%. And that is over 22 seasons. Who the hell wins that percentage of games in another team's park? Most teams don't win that percentage of games in their home park.

The bottom line is that we can never write that team off until they are officially dead. We have 10 remaining games against them this season and I fear us going 3-7....thereby losing the season series (like we always do) and finishing below them in the standings. They just never give up like other teams do.

Archived