2014 New York Yankees

OFFNY

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can this team die already? I'm so tired of watching them.

Well, they play 162 like everyone else and we're going to get to see a lot of them when the Orioles play the Yankees ten more times. :o

beat them head-to-head and it won't matter how many wins they scratch out.

I have put this information on threads before, but it bears repeating for those not that aware of history.

Since 1982, we have won the season series against the Yankees 2 times (1987, 1997). That is 2 times in 31 years. I believe we have tied them 2 times as well, meaning our record for season series against them is 2-27-2 over that stretch. That is actually ridiculous, as I am not sure that any team can match that run against any other opponent.

Since 1997, we have finished ahead of them in the standings exactly zero times. Last year, we had the same record but lost the season series so technically we were below them. We also finished below them from 1993-1996. So that is 1 time in 21 years where we had the upper hand. Even in 1997, we were a great team that led wire to wire and they still damn nearly caught us.

The Yankees all-time winning percentage at Camden Yards is around 63-65%. And that is over 22 seasons. Who the hell wins that percentage of games in another team's park? Most teams don't win that percentage of games in their home park.

The bottom line is that we can never write that team off until they are officially dead. We have 10 remaining games against them this season and I fear us going 3-7....thereby losing the season series (like we always do) and finishing below them in the standings. They just never give up like other teams do.

Nitpicky to do this, but 1989, not 87. ;)

I have put this information on threads before, but it bears repeating for those not that aware of history.

Since 1982, we have won the season series against the Yankees 2 times (1987, 1997). That is 2 times in 31 years. I believe we have tied them 2 times as well, meaning our record for season series against them is 2-27-2 over that stretch. That is actually ridiculous, as I am not sure that any team can match that run against any other opponent.

Since 1997, we have finished ahead of them in the standings exactly zero times. Last year, we had the same record but lost the season series so technically we were below them. We also finished below them from 1993-1996. So that is 1 time in 21 years where we had the upper hand. Even in 1997, we were a great team that led wire to wire and they still damn nearly caught us.

The Yankees all-time winning percentage at Camden Yards is around 63-65%. And that is over 22 seasons. Who the hell wins that percentage of games in another team's park? Most teams don't win that percentage of games in their home park.

The bottom line is that we can never write that team off until they are officially dead. We have 10 remaining games against them this season and I fear us going 3-7....thereby losing the season series (like we always do) and finishing below them in the standings. They just never give up like other teams do.

We have blown some pretty good chances to win the season series against them. Last year we led the series 9-7, only to lose the final three games at home. In 2012 we led 9-8 but lost the final game to end up in a season split. In 2007, we led 8-4 but lost 5 of the final 6 to give them a split. So, like you, I only take so much solace in our 6-3 lead this year. I want to smash them once and for all.

• 2 weeks later...

If you were a Yankee fan, how could you even care if your team is doing well this year? The team has no identity, outside of Jeter. It is a rag-tag matchup of AAA players and veterans that have no true identity as Yankees. Claiming player after player off the waiver wire just to keep your 25 man roster full.

o

By salvaging the final game of a 3-game series with the Astros today, the Yankees are now 14-14 over their last 28 games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

Not terrible, but considering the fact that they have been wavering slightly above the .500 mark for most of the season, that won't get it done, even for the 2nd wildcard spot.

It's what they are, and it's better than they should be. They've lost series to the Blue Jays, Rangers, Indians and Astros in the past 30 days.

Archived