Anyone See Steve Pearce?

Rene88

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> announce they released Steve Pearce</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So long Steve. I'll always remember those 7 AB you had with our 2014 Orioles.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure we have seen last of Steve Pearce.

I have been reading about release waivers. If Pearce is claimed he has the right to refuse the claim and become a free agent. I guess he can re-sign with the O's if he is a free agent.

If he in under claimed he can become a free agent and again I think he can resign with the O's.

Sounds like Pearce could be back on the O's roster by Wednesday.

If someone knows something different please post that information.

I am not sure we have seen last of Steve Pearce.

I have been reading about release waivers. If Pearce is claimed he has the right to refuse the claim and become a free agent. I guess he can re-sign with the O's if he is a free agent.

If he in under claimed he can become a free agent and again I think he can resign with the O's.

Sounds like Pearce could be back on the O's roster by Wednesday.

If someone knows something different please post that information.

I think this was scenario that said he could not be on the active 25 man roster for 30 days. They really don't want teams using DFA to clear space for ten days.

From that same piece, Connolly notes that Steve Pearce release waivers expire tomorrow, and its possible for the team to re-sign him and put him on the 25-man roster in place of the injured Chris Davis. Normally, a team that re-signs a released player must wait 30 days to place him back on the active roster, but Connolly spoke with one industry source who said there is a rules scenario that would allow Baltimore to work around that restriction.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> announce they released Steve Pearce</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Let me get this straight... We DFAed him, right? That means he passes thru waivers. So nobody picked him up and we still released him?

Let me get this straight... We DFAed him, right? That means he passes thru waivers. So nobody picked him up and we still released him?
I don't understand any of this, but maybe they released him in order to resign him and put him back on the 25 man to replace Davis, because of the injury exception?

No, the sequence is a little different.

First they DFA him which allows them to trade or try to get him through waivers.

So they wait 5 days while trying to trade him.

Then on Sunday the put him on release waivers. With release waivers Pearce can refuse any claim and become a free agent.

So 48 hours later on Tuesday we find out if he was claimed, did he accept or refuse the claim, did he become a free agent and did the O's resign him.

No, the sequence is a little different.

First they DFA him which allows them to trade or try to get him through waivers.

So they wait 5 days while trying to trade him.

Then on Sunday the put him on release waivers. With release waivers Pearce can refuse any claim and become a free agent.

So 48 hours later on Tuesday we find out if he was claimed, did he accept or refuse the claim, did he become a free agent and did the O's resign him.

So maybe they have wink wink nudge nudge deal?

So maybe they have wink wink nudge nudge deal?

Dan Connolly says even though normally a DFAd player could not be re-added to a 25 man roster for 30 days if resigned, there is a loophole that would allow it, if he goes unclaimed by all clubs.

And maybe Steve Pearce has zero desire to return to the team that didn't play him, waived him, not once, but twice, and then unceremoniously released him.

He may have no desire to return to the Orioles, but he's not exactly in a position to be stubborn/play hardball about it.

Even though he has played parts of 8 seasons in the majors, his service time is only a little over 4 years due to the fact that he has been up and down so much between AAA and the majors, and he has never made more than $700,000 in a season.

Plus, he's a career .237 hitter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pearcst01.shtml

So at 31 years-old, and with only so much time left in his major league career, Pearce is a player that plays for whoever will take him.

I'm not saying that that is necessarily a good thing, or fair, I'm simply pointing out the reality of his situation.

Archived