Does Anyone Else Not Like the Replay Addition?

Old#5fan

I will say that growing up watching guys like Earl Weaver, Leo Durocher and Billy Martin talking to the umpire about their wife and kids while waiting for the instant replay review (instead of calling them names while kicking dirt on their shoes) likely would have made a totally different, and perhaps long lasting impression on my childhood baseball experience and baseball fandom.

I might be a soccer fan.

You know Earl would have still made a fuss. He was theater of the absurd.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't stand it. I was interested and excited when they decided to move forward with it. I've been to three live games in which the replay has been used. It ruins the flow and fabric of the game. One was a HR call fair/foul. The crowd went crazy when the ball cleared the fecne - as the hitter rounded 2nd and the Manger came out of the dugout, the crowd quieted and stood in silence as the play was reviewed. Took all the excitement out of the play. One thing people don't realize yet is that the replay will drastically reduce the amount of times a manager is thrown out for arguing. This is one of the more exciting and individual characteristics of baseball that will be lost in the shuffle.

Not seeing manager being thrown out is a very small cost of making sure the play is right.

I truly cannot understand anyone against trying to get the call right, some people just can't adapt to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not seeing manager being thrown out is a very small cost of making sure the play is right.

I truly cannot understand anyone against trying to get the call right, some people just can't adapt to change.

Yes, but the change has to be viewed as a scale where you have getting the call right on one side and disrupting the flow of the game, causing extra warm up pitches for the pitcher, extending the time of the game, and removing the manager getting thrown out on the other side of the scale.

I personally liked it better the way it was before, except under very limited circumstances, i.e. fan interference, home run calls, and possibly plays at the plate.

Yes, but the change has to be viewed as a scale where you have getting the call right on one side and disrupting the flow of the game, causing extra warm up pitches for the pitcher, extending the time of the game, and removing the manager getting thrown out on the other side of the scale.

I personally liked it better the way it was before, except under very limited circumstances, i.e. fan interference, home run calls, and possibly plays at the plate.

I think most realize there are imperfections and an injury risk which is unacceptable but they will fine tune it. It would be moronic to just scrap it.

So managers arguing with umpires is part of the flow of the game? I'm perfectly fine with that if you think it is. I miss it.

Yes, absolutely. Now they don't argue, they just walk out there and stall for time so they can get a signal from the dugout whether or not to challenge. It's horrible. This is the worst change baseball has made in my lifetime. One of the best things about the sport is that you always know that what you are watching in real time is going to count. No flags, no penalties, no replays. That's gone now, and I really hate it.

If there's one thing you can count on some baseball fans to do, it's to kick and scream about any sort of innovation.

The system needs to get a lot of kinks worked out. But I sure as hell wish it'd existed in 96.

The problem with '96 was not that there was no instant replay. The problem is that the umpire made one of the worst calls in baseball history, a call so terrible that almost everyone in the park and watching on tv could see that he'd screwed it up. But yes, I'd rather live with Jeffrey Maier then watch the entire sport fall into this bureaucratic morass.

The problem with '96 was not that there was no instant replay. The problem is that the umpire made one of the worst calls in baseball history, a call so terrible that almost everyone in the park and watching on tv could see that he'd screwed it up. But yes, I'd rather live with Jeffrey Maier then watch the entire sport fall into this bureaucratic morass.

You would rather them get a play wrong that decides the entire season than wait around for three minutes?

I must disagree.

I can't stand it. I was interested and excited when they decided to move forward with it. I've been to three live games in which the replay has been used. It ruins the flow and fabric of the game. One was a HR call fair/foul. The crowd went crazy when the ball cleared the fecne - as the hitter rounded 2nd and the Manger came out of the dugout, the crowd quieted and stood in silence as the play was reviewed. Took all the excitement out of the play. One thing people don't realize yet is that the replay will drastically reduce the amount of times a manager is thrown out for arguing. This is one of the more exciting and individual characteristics of baseball that will be lost in the shuffle.

This is pretty much where I am. The play you reference is a good example. Very similar to the feeling you get watching a football game thinking you just watched a touchdown only to see a flag appear on the screen 5 seconds later.

I'd rather Jeffrey Maier have been made example of. In a very public way. Like. Banned. From Baseball. Nothing Physical. He was just a kid. How about he and his family banned. Of course nothing violent.

That way, there would be an example shocking enough to influence an entire generation of fans. That the field. Is. The. Field.

I tend to prefer less rules to more in life and allow for natural selection to take care of the rest.

You would rather them get a play wrong that decides the entire season than wait around for three minutes?

I must disagree.

I wanted it right then and I do now. But I must say, I do want the process changed to speed things up. Perhaps, if a manager fails his challenge, that he not be permitted back on the field for the rest of the game. To lobby for further reviews. Like they do.

I didn't say you were being rude I said your tone was condescending, which it was and there is a distinct difference. I think I've made my point quite clear but you just seem to want to argue.

I've said it already that the manager who has failed his challenge earlier in the game shouldn't be able to REQUEST a replay review. We are debating different things here. You are talking the speed of the game while I am talking about how fair it is to let a manager who has already failed once at a challenge the ability to go REQUEST a replay review. If he hasn't used his challenge yet, fine. If he has used his challenge and won, fine. But if you already lost you should be one and done, not able to challenge again (which is the rule for the first six innings) or even ask the umpires to review it. How is this not clear? Either way it's a moot point, this entire thread is a stalemate so I'm done with it.

I didn't say you called me rude. I asked you how I was condescending. I don't see how I was but whatever. The bottom line is you just don't like the current rules. Got it.

I must disagree.

Yeah, that's right. I'd rather they get the play wrong. This is a change that goes to the very soul of the sport. If you don't like it, watch football. They are great at standing around and obsessing over every call.

We lose sight of the fact that this is just a game. It's a social activity, there for our enjoyment. We aren't curing cancer here. If we get all the calls perfectly right it really doesn't make the world a better place.

Yes, absolutely. Now they don't argue, they just walk out there and stall for time so they can get a signal from the dugout whether or not to challenge. It's horrible. This is the worst change baseball has made in my lifetime. One of the best things about the sport is that you always know that what you are watching in real time is going to count. No flags, no penalties, no replays. That's gone now, and I really hate it.

This is fair. I miss the arguments as well. It does take away from the experience as we have

known it. I miss a lot of things that have changed, but most of them are for the better. I think that's the case here, but respect your opinion.

Archived