Does Anyone Else Not Like the Replay Addition?

Old#5fan

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, you do hate old people.

Old people, young people, polka dotted people. :D

I almost feel like this is has reached the baseball debate version of this scene:

boddicker+guns+guns+guns.JPG

...which is actually kind of a circular observation, as Boddiker wants Sal to know that the Tigers are playing to-NIGHT. And he NEVER misses a game.

So, you do hate old people.
You miss my point, Old Fan isn't really old, he's a phony. Being old is part of his troll pose. He offends real old people like me and misrepresents us. I am quite fond of most of the recent changes in the game and look forward to robo ump behind the plate.

.You miss my point, Old Fan isn't really old, he's a phony. Being old is part of his troll pose. He offends real old people like me and misrepresents us. I am quite fond of most of the recent changes in the game and look forward to robo ump behind the plate.

No, I get it. I'm 53 and I don't think he's any older than me based on stuff I've heard from him before.

Other than you don't like it, what is the point then? You guys seem to be saying the rule/system is something that it's not:

There are 2 stages to the new system:

1. One challenge and another one if you got the first call right.

2. A manager may request an umpire to review call after the 7th inning if his challenges(s) have been expended. Technically, the manager doesn't need the manager to ask. They could just do it if there was some doubt. The request is a formality that for all practical purposes replaces a longer drawn out argument and/or discussion anyways.

I really don't see any issue with it. Would a manager come out and debate a frivolous call if there was no replay system, probably not. If it's requested it's probably for a good reason (especially considering each team has it's own analysts in place).

The new system is more accurate and probably less time consuming imo.

Let met put it another way. I don't really have an issue with the manager being able to request a replay review. I just don't think it should be allowed if a challenge system has been set up. I don't see a situation where an umpire will tell the manager to piss off he requests a review, without having an actual challenge. If that is going to be the case then just don't have a challenge system and let the manager ask for a review whenever he wants. It just seems to deem the "challenge" meaningless. Who cares if you lose the challenge and the ability to challenge later in the game, if you can still request a review?

Just timed todays instant replay reversal. It took Buck less than 30 seconds from the moment the play ended to make the challenge, and one minute for the umps to get the ruling from NY. 90 seconds total.

Yeah people complaining about time being an issue, are being silly. There's no difference in the manager coming out to officially challenge a call and the manager coming out in prior seasons to ***** and complain and kick dirt or draw lines in the dirt or what not.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm sure that someone will start posting time of game comparisons between this year and last year and between games with and without reviews this year to see if there is an effect. A month or two of ML games would provide a pretty good data set, although data from later in the season might tell a better story of how the review system will be used once managers and umps get a better feel for it.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm sure that someone will start posting time of game comparisons between this year and last year and between games with and without reviews this year to see if there is an effect. A month or two of ML games would provide a pretty good data set, although data from later in the season might tell a better story of how the review system will be used once managers and umps get a better feel for it.

Here's a fan graphs analysis of early data from four days ago: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/time-of-game-and-instant-replay-review/

Let met put it another way. I don't really have an issue with the manager being able to request a replay review. I just don't think it should be allowed if a challenge system has been set up. I don't see a situation where an umpire will tell the manager to piss off he requests a review, without having an actual challenge. If that is going to be the case then just don't have a challenge system and let the manager ask for a review whenever he wants. It just seems to deem the "challenge" meaningless. Who cares if you lose the challenge and the ability to challenge later in the game, if you can still request a review?
Would you be in favor of the manager still being able to request that the umpire ask for help from the other umps on the field? If yes, how is that different than asking for help from the review ump in NY? And haven't managers often asked that the umpire ask for help and been refused? Why would you think this would not be the case when requesting a review?

Would you be in favor of the manager still being able to request that the umpire ask for help from the other umps on the field? If yes, how is that different than asking for help from the review ump in NY? And haven't managers often asked that the umpire ask for help and been refused? Why would you think this would not be the case when requesting a review?

You seem to be arguing about something that I wasn't talking about.

Ok, Again you are only supposed to be able to request a review under a fairly narrow window (7th inning or after) if your challenge has been expended.

You don't like that part of the rule. I'm fine with it. Your point is clear to me now, we just disagree.

If that is going to be the case then just don't have a challenge system and let the manager ask for a review whenever he wants.

A system allowing for a review request anytime a manager wanted would likely take much more time than the current one. I think it's a good balance now.

You seem to be arguing about something that I wasn't talking about.
You said" I don't really have an issue with the manager being able to request a replay review. I just don't think it should be allowed if a challenge system has been set up. "

My question is if the challenging system is set up, would you still be in favor of the manager being able to request that the umpire who makes the call, ask for help from the other umps on the field? If you would be, how is that different than requesting help from the ump in NY? If not, why not?

You said" I don't really have an issue with the manager being able to request a replay review. I just don't think it should be allowed if a challenge system has been set up. "

My question is if the challenging system is set up, would you still be in favor of the manager being able to request that the umpire who makes the call, ask for help from the other umps on the field? If you would be, how is that different than requesting help from the ump in NY? If not, why not?

Asking the other umps on the field if they got a better view than the ump making the call is clearly not the same thing as asking the ump to ask another ump with access to instant replay.

Archived